Old Sako makeover

I really should have taken a before and after type pic...

This sako 75 was well used and sold as a donor.

My friend has his own wood and now some Roe have appeared, munching on his newly planted seedlings....they have to go unfortunately, so he asked for a sporting rifle building, that would also be ok for the odd range day,s plinking.

IMG_3172_zpskudi4bar.jpg

Firstly I rebarrelled the action. We chose a Pacnor light varmint blank and chambered it in 6.5 Creedmoor. Its screwcut 15mm x 1 and has a spigotted ASE sl5 moderator fitted.

IMG_3174_zpsskhdy8qj.jpg

The trigger was completely stripped and tuned, and the blade painted to match all the other metalwork which is done in Ceracote graphite black.

The rail is a beautiful Recknagel unit.

IMG_3175_zpschhhf2y4.jpg

The scope is one he had kicking around an obviously needs lower rings now.

Next, the stock was fully bedded with aluminium pillars and the usual devcon.

The stock was battered and covered in dents and dings.

It has been stripped, all dents raised and then a hand rubbed oil finish which currently stands at 15 coats.

IMG_3176_zps88osc2nq.jpg

No stain was applied, this is the walnut,s natural colour and there are oranges and yellows showing in various parts of the stock. Its a nice piece of wood and complements the black of the metalwork very well.

IMG_3173_zpstopp0qtr.jpg

I,m building more and more Deer rifles these days, and have to admit , the Sako 75 is my favourite.

Very true, they were simply dropped on there because its what the guy had. New lower mounts are inbound for it. Not by much though as the guy has a very long face indeed and usually needs high mounts.

Having seen how far out a set of optilock rings and bases were only a week before [windage wise ] on another sako, I would not use them on a rifle again. The Recknagel bases are far superior, and a damn sight cheaper too.

Had a similar issue with 30mm optilock rings on a AV I restored, the windage was a bus ride out.

Sorted the issue now but the dovetail mounts can be a pain - I believe Rechnagle make specific ring for the Sako dovetail.

Archived