IWA?

The Gun Pimp

I have just got back. The biggest single product that might appeal to UKV members was the Swarovski x5 'target' scope. Im getting one asap but im yet to be convinced which maket it will suit best, varminting probably?

I'll try to get some general snaps of the show and anything interesting, not had chance for good look round. There is some beautiful hand built kit though, in passing.

Re. the 5X, quick look yesterday, its not out on display but behind glass (makes me wonder is it proven yet i.e. the world cannot handle it??), bloody big turrets, MOA only, reasonable magnification, as pointed out, not sure what use it is 'aimed' at?- no 'USP' as the spin docs like to say?? :) Would imagine nice glass.

T

Oh yes, the Sierra Ballistic Tipped Marchking is new too but I think that apprared at Shot.

The X5 Was out of the glass at the press event on friday, BIG turret for any scope, never mind a Swaro......it was a bit BEAST! and 35 mils of elevation from a 30mm tube makes me think SMALL LENSES and questionable field

Of view?

GRS also showed an elevation adjustable Picatinny mount with up to 90 MOA inclination depending on your ring spacing on the mounts. It was a working prototype and now patented, I have photos but uploading here is a faff.

I have just got back. The biggest single product that might appeal to UKV members was the Swarovski x5 'target' scope. Im getting one asap but im yet to be convinced which maket it will suit best, varminting probably?

Bring it over Chris when you get it.....

The only thing thats ever stopped me buying a Swarovski, was the fact they had no target turrets. Their lenses are the best.

One of them will be coming to live at my house....I just know it.

Day two - yet more 'tactical' shotguns! Also plenty of tactical rifles but the prices - with a Sako TRG costing around 3K and even the CZ costing £2500 a custom build suddenly looks good value. Even the Chinese (Norinco) have a tactical rifle and Kalashnikov have jumped on the bandwagon as well!

Discovered another joystick rest from Italy and a nice FTR bi-pod as well.

Yes, good to see Swarovski entering the target scope arena - look forward to trying one. Also, a nice Rem fit drop-in chassis from Unique Alpine and I just love Sako's new sniper rifle.

Best find for me? A comp trigger from a German manufacturer. Goes down to 45gm (under 2oz?) and may be imported by Jackson Rifles. Jewels are increasingly difficult to come by these days. Same company - Black Sheep Rifles ( yes, really) also do a nice custom action.

Best find for me? A comp trigger from a German manufacturer. Goes down to 45gm (under 2oz?) and may be imported by Jackson Rifles. Jewels are increasingly difficult to come by these days. Same company - Black Sheep Rifles ( yes, really) also do a nice custom action.

Manfred Schmidt is the owner of STL which is a family operation. We make stocks for the BSR rifles and were involved in the development somewhat. The BSR and his target actions are very well engineered. Only drawback is that he only sells complete rifles with LW barrels. He fitted a LW barrel to my Mauser with his usual barrel "treatment"??? she shoots extremely well for a light rifle.

I have a STL straight taper 6mmbr BR barrelled action here waiting for a stock and a BSR which will get one of the new triggers.

The development of the trigger took quite a while as the first prototype version had an issue with firing when being whacked hard on the muzzle and needed re-designing. New triggers are of remmy style, left right and safety at the trigger blade or standard. BSR will get a firing pin safety soon.

Manfred, his wife and their son clean up at 300m shoots in Germany and the couple also hunt. He was heavily involved in the development of the Kahles K1050 target scope as he had experience after a stint at Leica where he built up the production of the Magnus range.

I think we'll see a few things in future from STL.

edi

How did he come up with 'Black Sheep Rifles'?

No idea, he just asked me if it sounds OK... I said it would suit him...

the idea was to have a series rifle with limited custom options and at a slightly better price.

Did you come across the little ASH stand in the pavilion between hall 2/3/4/5? He has a very nice action that Andreas makes himself on his cnc machine. Rem clone with recoil lug and rail in one. Three lug bolt similar to STL. He had a cut open display action on the stand as well as fitted to his Walkuere Rifles with AI and carbon stocks including AI mag systems. All fitted with LW match barrels. As far as I know they'll show up in the UK soon. First imports to Ireland are on their way. Price is incredibly good.

edi

No idea, he just asked me if it sounds OK... I said it would suit him...

the idea was to have a series rifle with limited custom options and at a slightly better price.

Did you come across the little ASH stand in the pavilion between hall 2/3/4/5? He has a very nice action that Andreas makes himself on his cnc machine. Rem clone with recoil lug and rail in one. Three lug bolt similar to STL. He had a cut open display action on the stand as well as fitted to his Walkuere Rifles with AI and carbon stocks including AI mag systems. All fitted with LW match barrels. As far as I know they'll show up in the UK soon. First imports to Ireland are on their way. Price is incredibly good.

edi

No - missed that one!

Archived