Fluting and chambering a barrel

You buy a barrel in the profile, twist rate, calibre and length you want and specify at the time of ordering if you want it fluted.

However, you could buy a heavier profile than you want, have it fluted / reprofiled by someone with the machine and tooling / ability to do so.

The latter is more expensive than the former.

Yes

if the factory would supply one.

I know Tikka and Sako offer replacement barrels - if fitted by them...

Would I be correct in saying you flute then chamber a barrel or is it the other way around?

Regards,

MB.

MB. Correct, however the benefits of fluting are the subject of much debate. As a dedicated follower of fashion, I don't plan to purchase any more fluted barrels. Regards JCS

Yes

if the factory would supply one.

I know Tikka and Sako offer replacement barrels - if fitted by them...

They do, but when you find out the price you might as well get a custom tube fitted by one of our rifles smiths

Would I be correct in saying you flute then chamber a barrel or is it the other way around?

Regards,

MB.

yes flute before chamber but i always like to hand lap the barrel after fluteing to take out any stress

They do, but when you find out the price you might as well get a custom tube fitted by one of our rifles smiths

Interesting- does anyone have up to date estimates for a Sako or a Remington -whatever-factory rebarrel....?

gbal

yes flute before chamber but i always like to hand lap the barrel after fluteing to take out any stress

Hello BarreBoy,

Id like to get my Ruger .920 18" barrel fluted as it's too heavy.

Can you do this fluting?

Thanks Phil

Hello BarreBoy,

Can you do this fluting?

Thanks Phil

I know the larger surface area supposedly assists cooling but has anyone ever calculated how much weight you actually save by fluting a barrel?

#puzzled

I know the larger surface area supposedly assists cooling but has anyone ever calculated how much weight you actually save by fluting a barrel?

#puzzled

well a rem varmint at 28" is 2.15kg and the same with 19" flutes at 2.5mm deep is 1.85kg

well a rem varmint at 28" is 2.15kg and the same with 19" flutes at 2.5mm deep is 1.85kg

Hello Lewis,

So it's not really worth fluting my 18" ruger barrel for the 0.2Kg weight saving.

Thanks Phil

But fluting looks cool , in an camouflage senario i recon fluted blends a little better than non Fluted , both being same colour etc . Adding more random lines - you know what i mean !

• 2 weeks later...

Thought so, very little benefit...thanks Lewis.

Why is this of little benefit SS, depends who you speak to? If you'd have asked me personally I would say it is of benefit. Maybe not for a bench/prone shooter, but 300grams on a hunting rifle is quite a weight saving in my opinion, not only for weight itself (we add on weight unwittingly in other areas through choices of components/materials/stocks) but for balance, especially on the barrel portion that sits on or above shoulder height when slung over your shoulder...not that I would have a 28" barrel for stalking mind you..... oh and as Gunner says fluting also looks nice - I know you well enough to appreciate that you're not jealous of my fluted barrel in any way, shape or form - go on, send your bang stick away to be fluted, you know you want to !! :P:wub:;)

Out of interest BB, could the flutes be cut any deeper than 2.5mm, if the barrel was thick enough to stay within the safe parameters?

Why is this of little benefit SS, depends who you speak to? If you'd have asked me personally I would say it is of benefit. Maybe not for a bench/prone shooter, but 300grams on a hunting rifle is quite a weight saving in my opinion, not only for weight itself (we add on weight unwittingly in other areas through choices of components/materials/stocks) but for balance, especially on the barrel portion that sits on or above shoulder height when slung over your shoulder...not that I would have a 28" barrel for stalking mind you..... oh and as Gunner says fluting also looks nice - I know you well enough to appreciate that you're not jealous of my fluted barrel in any way, shape or form - go on, send your bang stick away to be fluted, you know you want to !! :P:wub:;)

lol...who bought the edge tech bro? :) no need to save weight ROTFL!!!! :D:wub:

Hello BarreBoy,

Can you do this fluting?

Thanks Phil

You'd be better getting someone to lop 4" off it and recrown it for you Phil. Cheaper, easier and a more significant lump of metal removed.

Hello BarreBoy,

Can you do this fluting?

Thanks Phil

I did this with Roger at Rimfire Magic in Yorkshire. He took the old (immaculate) barrel off, gave me a credit for it and put a new fluted Green Mountain barrel on. Superb job.

http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/10_22_buildlist.html

Did the trigger up at the same time.

Regards JCS

Talking to a Gunsmithing pal while on holiday in the States last week who offers fluting, he stated that he usually flutes 3/16" wide by .060-.090" deep.

Given the radiius of the flutes I don't really see much in the way of significant weight savings

Fluting the barrel on my .338 saved around 500 grams, but considering it weighs 25+ lbs, weight saving wasn't the purpose. I prefer the appearance and it has to help (be it marginally) with cooling...

This barrel weight calculator is reasonably helpful, although I cannot remember what their 'standard' flute dimensions are:

http://pac-nor.com/cgi-bin/bweight.cgi

Out of interest BB, could the flutes be cut any deeper than 2.5mm, if the barrel was thick enough to stay within the safe parameters?

Anyone else able to answer my question?

J.

Archived