Action with smoothest operation, lightest lock up

mkay01

Hello guys,

I am disabled and I have very little arm and shoulder strength, I have difficulty with stiff actions and end up with cases failing to eject.

I want to build a lightweight 6mmbr on a standard action, i am looking for some thing that wants to eject the case not something that wants me earn its compliance! what action would you recommend?

Hi I've got mutable rifles and recommend to ring Dolphin Guns ( see the ad on this sight ) Mick has built three rifles for me two with Neska actions and one with the Dolphin action.All are super smooth and easy to operate. All were built on time and one a week early. All are superbly acurate rifles and I'm a demanding customer. II recommend you save your self a load of time and money and give them a call.

There are 'stiff to open' actions to avoid - the RPA Quadlock springs to mind. With the Quadlock and similar actions, it's all about lock-time and very stiff firing-pin springs are employed to achieve this.

With normal actions - like the humble Remington 700, it's often a matter of sizing your brass properly and resisting stiff loads. However, the Remington has that horrible short bolt-handle with the infamous 'fly's eye' knob which doesn't help.

As Montey says (above) a decent custom action like the Nesika should do what you want - especially with a nice little cartridge like the 6mmBR. But you also have a choice of Stolle, BAT etc.

If we are talking about ease of opening here, my action, the Valhalla has probably the lowest effort to open of any action available today. I defy anyone to tell the opening effort difference, between unfired, and fired. Its exceptionally smooth.

Thank you for the replys. The only action I could find a price for was a Valkery at 875 at that is out of my range. I am after a 600m flat shooting wind bucking cartrige with very mild recoil that is roe legal (so no 204). I was hoping to buy a factory rifle and rebarrel. Unless their is a budget semi custom action available?

6BR is a good choice-it does probably mean some custom build,on a 308 boltface acton.You have probably experience of some actions-it would be helpful if you could inform any smith of ones that were difficult,given a reasonable sample.As Vince says,RPA will probably be one such,but Remingtons etc can have modified bolts,which might bring them into consideration;the slickness of the cartridge is probably as important as anything,and the 6BR is a neat design-is reloading OK?

Anyhow,good luck with the project,there are options.

gbal

Then you need to be looking for a .308/243/22-250 tikka of any type. The actions are smooth and have a sako extractor, which is imperative for the 6mmBr.

They will feed from a 22-250 magazine, or a single shot tray can be utilised. Bolt lift is smooth when worked upon and the standard handle can be easily changed to anything you wish to assist a disabled shooter.

There we go-Dave's expertise suggests a donor Tikka.You will want the 6BR Norma chambering,to allow the longer bullets (but that is the standard now),and probably some custom barrel work on weight and length.The only commercial rifle in 6BR that comes to mind in the stalking role is the Cooper model 22.

Loaded ammo is/was available-not cheap-from Norma in its Diamond line 105 Moly Berger bullets;and from Lapua 77g HP;90g and 105g Scenars. These of course are not designed for UK stalking. So handloading may be in order.You probably know that recoil is well below half that of a 308w,with superb accuracy.Excellent roe cartridge.

gbal

Sorry my page hadn't refreshed

Thanks Dave that's just what I needed to know, could you advise on what a little work on the action and a new barrel could cost? I can email you if it is more appropriate?

If I have the opportunity in the future though your action will be top of my list.

Gbal, I will reload I think. I will be looking for a 500m round with the best wind bucking ability (highlands) for fun and a cheap corvid round for out to 250. I will probably buy a few roe rounds (do people make handloaded rounds for sale) as I will only need a few for a zero and enough for one beast a year, my farm only supports a dozen their numbers never seen to grow they just wander off, we abut forestry and flow country so there is room to spare.

Suggest a Tikka T3 (in budget) as a base they are suberby slick in operation.

Custom,,,

Borden Rimrock, BAT M Series, Nesika

Avoid 3 lug bolts they add to the torque needed to open the bolt and as Vince has said, the RPA quad locks are a bit stiffer than the 3 lugs,,

McKay1: I think we may have missed some key points,though considered some.

Your key needs are a light sporter rifle with slick loading.Only you can judge really,wrt weight and 'handling/bolt.

Not custom (I take this to put a modest ceiling on costs).

Flat shooting,good highland wind bucking

Mild recoil

5/600 yard fun plinking

250 corvid accuracy

once a year roe stalker in Scotland

OK,Dave has advocated the merits of a Tikka factory action,Sako extractor if 6BR with a bit of tweaking.I think we can eliminate all the custom suggestions-on cost grounds,but not all would be ideal either.

So what cartridge?

6BR fits all the desiderata very well,though in a light rifle recoil is a bit more than say the 222/3/22250 class. It generally has quite superb accuracy-certainly for 250 corvids-will shoot beyond 600 very well indeed,less so in wind-of course,always true;and it is easily deer legal.

How about the 224 class-50g@2450,1000 ft lb is the Scottish roe legal minimum....but 500 y plinking is not really on,except as below in fast twist 223,plenty of factory choice though.....

I suppose 243 is getting a bit heavier......recoil would be a bit more than 6BR...

OK,a light 6BR Tikka action rebarreled....will do it all very well indeed (for the cost of a custom action-which isn't needed- the 6BR just gives an edge for all three applications,but Tikka is fine.

A fast twist 223 (Tikka) would be a decent and 'easier' more economical option-will do 250 corvids,500 fun,and roe legal esp on a one per year...easier ammo supply all round....loaded or reloaded...222 is delightful,but would need a fast twist rebarrel to get 500 y options... so better with 6BR if getting rebarreled.

Options open up really....realistic appraisal doesn't mean compromise.

g

Recoil can be measured,bearing in mind some difference in eg rifle fit,and maybe even expectations/perceived recoil. Here are some relative data to give an idea:

223 .8

22/250 .9

6BR very close as it's not a commercial US cartridge,I don't have figure (22/250 64g@3500,and 6BR

68g @3400suggest same ball park).

243 1.25

It's not easy to get direct hands on experience-there aren't many light 6BRs around,except the Cooper.Just what weight you'd be comfortable with,only you could say/tell,but I'd estimate a half pound on a 22/250 weight would equalise the 6BR recoil even with heavier bullets. 22/250 is an option,along with the fast twist 223 in a good used Tikka/Sako for a very decent rifle (option to 6BR rebarrel,too.)

g

Then you need to be looking for a .308/243/22-250 tikka of any type. The actions are smooth and have a sako extractor, which is imperative for the 6mmBr.

They will feed from a 22-250 magazine, or a single shot tray can be utilised. Bolt lift is smooth when worked upon and the standard handle can be easily changed to anything you wish to assist a disabled shooter.

I'm glad you said that Baldie, Having had 2 Tikka 3's, I was going to suggest it, but having never had a "custom" action, I thought I would shot down in flames, (No pun intended). Both of mine have required very little effort to cycle, bar the occasional slightly stiff bolt when developing loads.

Thank you all. A friend has recently bought a sako finnlight in 22-250 so I will go and have a play and see how I feel about the weight to recoil ratio and go from there. I think I will look for a t3 VSL in the 22-250 all being well and then I will look at rebarreling next year.

Besides a new bold knob perhaps on a much longer arm what work would slick up the action?

Ammo wise, I need a fast enough MV to buck wind but without to much pressure that would create a heavy extraction.. Am I right?

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated

Great to actually try out options.Bolt lift etc should not differ until pressure goes over what is 'safe'.Here are some numbers- the higher the bullets BC value the better: drop/drift in 10 mph wind,in inches(200 zero):

22/250 55g Nosler BT BC .268 @ 3670 300y 5/9 500y 33/27

223 55g Nolser BT @3240 7/10 44/33

243 55Nosler BT .277 @3850 4.5/8 14/15

243 100SGK .430 @2960 7/7 20/13

All commercial loads,so reasonably comparable-you get some idea of the BC/velocity effect on drop/drift-no free lunch. Elevation is much less of an issue-laser it,dial it in,than is wind rift-wind is hard to read accurately hundreds of yards downrange.

gbal

I rebarrelled two T3,s yesterday Michael. I have to admit to them being my favourite action for a semi custom these days as there is now a plethora of after market parts available for them. I do longer bolt handles for the T3 , 595 and 695 in both hands and also rails, aftermarket triggers and springs etc. I'm sure something can be done to make it as easy as possible for you to open/close.

IMG_2630_zps41aba8d9.jpg

IMG_2623_zpsbe5c8897.jpg

IMG_2628_zps51a378b4.jpg

As per your question on the Steyr mannlicher pro hunter and the ease of bolt lift / recocking, this would be of no use in your situation the bolt lift is difficult for an able bodied person and the bolt handle is small and does not lend itself to having a new bolt knob, as the others have said Tikka T3 lite would be a good choice.

As per your question on the Steyr mannlicher pro hunter and the ease of bolt lift / recocking, this would be of no use in your situation the bolt lift is difficult for an able bodied person and the bolt handle is small and does not lend itself to having a new bolt knob, as the others have said Tikka T3 lite would be a good choice.

Archived