Action with smoothest operation, lightest lock up

mkay01

GAP Tempest

Yep, nice looking action Chris, but its 3 lug and I haven't seen it demonstrated anywhere on video where the action is actually fired, THEN the bolt opened .

It will feel no different to an AI.

I have had several custom actions to re barrel in the past 6 weeks in all I like the Borden actions like for like against any other custom action .

I was talking to a customer three weeks ago about this topic , I compared a Bat Nesika and Borden all at the same time with this chap,The Borden was the smoothest .

Sounds a bit obvious but use bolt grease on the contact points in any action and will help greatly Remmington and Tikka are fine with grease , Sakos are stiffer due to the tri lug .

I'm in a similar position to the OP and I find my two Tikka T3 rifles fine in terms of ease of opening etc. Recoil in most calibres can be controlled by use of a brake/moderator. Even my .300 WSM T3 is a pussycat with the TET Spartan III can fitted.

Thank you for the info on the mannlicher. Managed to get to the local Gunshop this week, no older tikkas but they had T3 and a sako A7. I couldn't manage to open the sako without canting the rifle and then it was still harder to break the lock up than I would have liked, though I did like the stock. The Tikka was manageable without having to change position buy as mentioned it was dry and the lugs grated so a polish and grease and we should be on to a winner.

Besides a new bold knob perhaps on a much longer arm what work would slick up the action?

This should be the first thing too try my friend, cheap and easy buddy.

I made and replaced some of the bolt handles on some of my rifles, for my kids, extra long.....they struggled with the cycling and cambering and ejecting etc just like you bud. Even on my FAC air rifle, an extra long bolt handle did the trick.

Now they are bigger I have taken them off as they are not needed, so subject to what you are after give me a shout and you can have them mate, or i could make you what you want FOA buddy.

Steve.

Without knowing the specific challenge; if hand strength isn't an issue, have you tried finding an action that you can open by resting your thumb on the shroud, and pivoting on your thumb to open the bolt handle open with the side of your index finger knuckle, a sort of upward karate chop using your thumb for leverage.

Takes your arm out of the equation. Works well on AI actions; seem to remember it was possible on a T3

Without knowing the specific challenge; if hand strength isn't an issue, have you tried finding an action that you can open by resting your thumb on the shroud, and pivoting on your thumb to open the bolt handle open with the side of your index finger knuckle, a sort of upward karate chop using your thumb for leverage.

Takes your arm out of the equation. Works well on AI actions; seem to remember it was possible on a T3

The Musingfield bolt handle was designed with exactly that method in mind. Should be simple enough for any custom smith to make.

maxresdefault.jpg

Suggest a Tikka T3 (in budget) as a base they are suberby slick in operation.

Custom,,,

Borden Rimrock, BAT M Series, Nesika

Avoid 3 lug bolts they add to the torque needed to open the bolt and as Vince has said, the RPA quad locks are a bit stiffer than the 3 lugs,,

Ronin built me a .260 on a tikka t3 action it's as smooth as glass. I have added a tactical bolt to it also, many available I got mine from turvey stalking very nice people. They are titanium and carbon fibre bolt knob. This may help you. Also recommend getting a replacement rear shroud this will help with the bolt operation.

Why not a .260 I use 34gr of n140 that's less than my 22-250, which I don't run hot anyway. Great calibre much like all the 6mm 6.5mm cals.

Anyway all the best with your research and hope you find something there are plenty of,folk on here that can help you.

CZV

YES , much like a AI AW , BUT its a lighter action , and therefore more suited to a lighter tac build on a normal fibreglass stock , or a hunting rifle build , and all the time giving more barrel tunion support than the rem700 type actions , and the ability to run the AWESOME std 10rd AW mags , and IF you wanted LESS , you could cutdown one ONLY 10rd mag to say 4-5rds .

And thats the beauty of it .

Archived