.30 cal alternative to Nosler Accubond

w0rks2much

Hi Folks,

I'm struggling to find Nosler Accubond 165gn .30cal bullet heads, there seems to be a waiting list of around 6 months!

Can anyone suggest an alternative please?

I would like to stick to the same (ish) weight of bullet if possible.

It's used on fallow, heart/lung shots and minimum meat damage is essential. H/L shots are stipulated by our Deer Manager.

Thanks for your help.

Hornady makes a very nice 165gn SST. Might this offer you a viable alternative? I shoot 180gn SGKs in mine and I've not had excessive damage with them so far.

good luck!

Finman

In a 260 I find 129g Hornady SSTs expand less radically than equivalent Nosler Ballistic tips (causing less meat damage) but expand faster than 130g Accubonds which I found to have to much 'pass-thru' and less energy dumped in the deer.

This observation founded on 'drop to shot' rates and not much more science.

Not sure if 30 cal is a simple 'read-across' from 6.5s

I have used Accubonds in 270 for virtually all my stalking for years now and have never had a problem with them putting a deer down quickly.

They are very well made with great consistency and hence shoot very accurately out to long ranges if required, the same of which can't be said for the Hornady alternatives I have tried,

I'd suggest forget the lighter SSTs as they will def produce a fair bit of meat damage. No need at all for heavy bulluets as you're only shooting fallow.

The 130 Barnes TTSX would be ideal for the job- massive penetration, they kill well and you can eat right up to the hole ^_^ They are the preferred projectiles for Bush Pigs- the near-default super compact suppressed guns guys use here in the scrub. The 130 is equivalent to a premium 150-165 lead proj in performance.

I'd suggest forget the lighter SSTs as they will def produce a fair bit of meat damage. No need at all for heavy bullets as you're only shooting fallow.

The 130 Barnes TTSX would be ideal for the job- massive penetration, they kill well and you can eat right up to the hole ^_^ They are the preferred projectiles for Bush Pigs- the near-default super compact suppressed guns guys use here in the scrub. The 130 is equivalent to a premium 150-165 lead proj in performance.

Archived