My shorty...

This is ALL Daddypigs fault........ :lol:

Had a hankering for a dedicated CQB rifle for ages. I love the COF , its one of my favourites in the whole CSR book.

For the uninitiated, its the Close Quarter Battle match , or FIBUA I believe.

Shot at four ranges, 100 , 75 , 50 and 25 yards , in different positions, and targets. Great fun.

A short, and very manageable rifle works best , with a fast acquisition sight. Here's my take on it.

IMG_2593_zpsf2d922f4.jpg

This is a DPMS upper receiver, cnc machined out, to accept my new side charging handle.

IMG_2594_zps10394c35.jpg

Also machined out on the other side to accept a Magpul BAD lever.

IMG_2597_zps8e558767.jpg

The upper is fitted with a 14" Krieger 1 in 9" blank, and finished off with an RPA brake, which not only looks ace, but performs better than any brake i've used before on a .223. The gun hardly seems to move. This has probably got something to do with the short layout of the gun, but the brake was quite some surprise.

IMG_2595_zps0632dbfc.jpg

Its a mil spec lower receiver, fitted with a Gieselle trigger, and magpul MIAD grip and trigger guard. Also an enlarged magazine release and the aforementioned BAD lever. Only thing I'm waiting for is a Vltor Gunfighter T bar.

That beautiful fore end came from Mark. I had to beg....it was embarrassing...... :lol: ....for him..... :lol::lol::lol: One of only two in the UK , and Daddypig has the other....he let me stroke it.....fatal.

Stock is a Magpul UBR, which all my AR,s have.

Paintwork is graphite black and Patriot brown.

I opened a trade account with the Trijicon importer , and this beauty came this morning after ordering yesterday.

IMG_2596_zps66d50404.jpg

Its a 4 x 32 ACOG with the triangle reticule, and its lovely.

During building, the gun was returning 1/2" 5 shot groups , with the occasional 1/4" one with 69 grain smk loads.

Really looking forward to shooting it when this bloody snow stops !

IMG_2598_zps0a57d5cd.jpg

At a guess 2900 from 62 grain ball. Who knows with 52 grain smks, such as John and Mark recommend. They may hit 3000.

You want a fast, flat round for CQB. The turning targets at Bisley are olympic standard and face/turn in 1/3 of a second !

Have you chronoed any of the 52 grain loads Mark ?

No, never felt the need

Here's some 62gn data

I clocked mine at 2890, or 120fps slower than an 18" bbl

These are Swedish military findings regarding barrel length and 62gn SS109 ammo

It should be relevant for all 62gn/SS109 ammo types
Barrel length SS109/M855 V4 bullet velocity
210 mm (8.3 in) 723 m/s (2,372 ft/s)
240 mm (9.4 in) 764 m/s (2,507 ft/s)
270 mm (10.6 in) 796 m/s (2,612 ft/s)
300 mm (11.8 in) 825 m/s (2,707 ft/s)
330 mm (13.0 in) 843 m/s (2,766 ft/s)
360 mm (14.2 in) 866 m/s (2,841 ft/s)
390 mm (15.4 in) 878 m/s (2,881 ft/s)
420 mm (16.5 in) 892 m/s (2,927 ft/s)
450 mm (17.7 in) 906 m/s (2,972 ft/s)
480 mm (18.9 in) 915 m/s (3,002 ft/s)
508 mm (20.0 in) 922 m/s (3,025 ft/s)

Very nice Dave. Love the colour scheme.

I don't think they use the acronym CQB & FIBUA any more...

... It's now FISH.

Fighting In Someone's House!

We're civvies, not soldiers (real or otherwise)

The match is the CQB or FIBUA match, or to give it its current name, the Urban Contact Match

Not a lot to tell really Garry. Its made from a good quality aluminium, and fitted with a hard plastic handle which is very smooth, so it slips from the fingers easily.

Its a single screw and hardened pin, with the same hole spacings etc as Mark's handle. The cnc programme is set up for these dimensions, so it seemed silly to change something that works. Right and left handed. Its just a simple, functional handle.

I have the bits for yours and they are being fitted.

Nipped up to Diggle this morning to zero the gun with the new ACOG on board.

First tested the load which was fine with a night force onboard. It was holding around 1/2" off the bipod.

Put the ACOG back on and was surprised to find it almost zeroed. It does actually say in the instructions that it would be. Put a few into the sand, then had a go at the 2" disc, and fired and adjusted till it was shooting to the POI on the edge of the disc.

7b20dc6a-4a74-45ca-993c-208aa307b4fb_zps

I then fired 5 rounds at the 1" disc without spotting them. Pete [ the witness ] was watching through the scope.

One click right [ 1/2 moa ] and I called it good.

Not bad for a 4 power sight and a very blustery wind.

Another of them crap AR,s that don't shoot....... :lol:

• 1 month later...

Archived