243 Ackley

Picked up this from Neil aka Dasherman this week. As usual it is beautifully put together but of particular note is the inletting and bedding job that Neil did from the KKC blank that I supplied him it looks particularly complex but beautifully done.

Have only done barrel break in and fire formed my cases so far, load testing starts in earnest this week, hopefully some pics of the job below:

IMG_0994_zpsbcb9e2d5.jpg

IMG_0999_zps8684616b.jpg

IMG_1008_zps1fb83043.jpg

IMG_1006_zps4b18bfb1.jpg

For those interested the rifle was built on a Tikka 595 action ( as this will feed the Ackley case fine). It has an 8 twist Pac Nor super match varmint weight barrel. The chamber has a .270 neck so requires the cases turning (load to a .267" loaded round) and it's all sat in a KKC laminate stock. The rail is 20 MOA and made by Neil as well, mounts are Recknagel QR and the scope is a 6-24 x 50 Swaro with 1/6 moa dialling turrets. It should be a lot of fun!

Cheers

Rich

Hi Richard ,

Lovely looking rifle mate ( shame the pictures was not clearer )..

Are you planning to run the 105 A-max?? if you can get hold of them they run great in the 243 ackley for all puposes!!!

Have fun and enjoy!!! ;)

Ray.

Looks good. 105 A-Max with a stout charge of N165 works well for us and is good for 3273fps.

Spot on mate - cracking , accurate load.. ( had mine just touching the lands )

Ray.

Very nice,,,very nice indeed,,,,looks like you have done a good job on he necks,,,3 thou is probably better than my 2 thou but getting away with it at the moment,,,have some fun!!,,,,O

It is very nice Dave!!!

Do you remember mine?? plus when i tried your RPA muzzle break on it!!! ;):lol: :lol:

Bullet wise I'll use a target bullet for long range plinking and corvid busting on the down land where I shoot, shot the fire formers with 105 scenar L's so will probably use them.

For deer I'm having some custom 'high bc' bullets made by ssm bullets in Austria at the moment and sent over for testing. They are pure copper so will probably end up around the 95 grain mark. I'll then shoot the finalised bullet for drop and different distance velocity and work out a bc for that so ought to get a pretty accurate idea.

Powder wise I shot the fire formers with N165 but am likely to use N560 on the final loads.

Cheers

Rich

Very nice indeed , also that stock / blank can you tell a little more on this im on the lookout for a blank ! Niels work is bl@@dy excellent , atb tim .

The stock is a KKC from Norway they're very light and I am a big fan of the ergonomics. I couldn't find one that was inlet for a Tikka 595 although it is available special order. Being impatient I couldn't wait and given the amount you save by buying the stock uninlet that near as dammit pays the extra for Neil to do it (which I'd prefer in any case). Neil had already inlet my F Class stock from a blank and had done an incredible job on that so this seemed the best idea.

KKC website here

http://www.kkc.no/egenskaper-en-GB/nytt-skjefte-eller-ny-borse-en-GB/

cheers

Rich

Shawing!!! That is very nice! As a lover of 595's and a fan of .243 that rifle speaks to me!

Gorgeous mate.

I keep thinking about going the ackley route myself, haven't even got round to reloading yet!

Joe

• 5 weeks later...

Any joy on the fire formed loads ? Love to see some targets , are you going to do an OCW test ? Im sure itl shoot whatever tho ;)

Ended up (as initially suggested by many on here) with N165 behind the 105 a max (15 thou off) lit by a BR2 primer. MV of 3080 FPS an a ES of between 12 and 15 for 5 shot groups. It shoots very tight with overlapping cloverleafs at 200 yards pretty consistently which I am very happy with and more to the point is the limit of my shooting ability off a harris with no back bag in a stalking weight rifle. In terms of methodology I use the OCW method but shoot over the chrono at all times then if I get a group that shows promise on all fronts I'll then mess about with seating depth and other variables.

A mate of mine made me a 4" (minute of deer) gong so went out with that on sunday had 8 cold bore shots at different distances between 331 and 446 yards as a bit of practice and hit with all so I am very pleased with it, it has more than fulfilled my expectations.

Next time I shoot it at 200 at paper I'll bung a target up.

Cheers

Rich

Not at paper I'm afraid but had a go at a gong at the weekend at 490 yards. The 2 big splashes are my mate testing his rifle fairly close and the 3 other splashes are the 243 Ackley at 490 yards, the first shot was a clean barrel. Shot was across a down land valley with variable 6-10 mph wind from about 10 o'clock. The lighter is there for scale but the group is approx. 2.5" centre to centre so quite comfortable with that.

gong005_zps8eeb2e3e.jpg

cheers

Rich

Looking good , dontcha just love that mettallic "dunk" of steel ;) i hope to be out this weekend for zero / drop cheak ...

• 4 weeks later...

took a video at the weekend of some gonging if any one is interested. First go at filming so pretty poor quality but you'll get the gist of it! Managed a 4" gong at 695 yards so pretty pleased with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU5XkM7eyMk

cheers

Rich

took a video at the weekend of some gonging if any one is interested. First go at filming so pretty poor quality but you'll get the gist of it! Managed a 4" gong at 695 yards so pretty pleased with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU5XkM7eyMk

cheers

Rich

Nice shooting...plenty more range available too you for upping the distance,,,,need a tripod tho for your camera

Archived