lightweight stalker

Just finished this for Mash.

IMG_2532_zps4304d377.jpg

This is a left hand Remington action, fully blueprinted , and fitted with a Walther 1 in 8" sporter barrel at 20".

IMG_2533_zps3c2ed43e.jpg

Trigger is a Timney , and the mod is an SL5.

The stock is an MDT lightweight chassis system, and is fitted with a magpul CTR stock and cheekpiece raiser and extra fat buttplate.

IMG_2534_zpsb3bb386c.jpg

These chassis are very nice, and are very well made. The only couple of niggles are that only AR15 grips without the rear arch will fit, and upon blasting the chassis for Ceracoat, I noticed that it was possibly the weakest anodising I,ve ever removed, had been used.

Not a problem to me....it now wears an allover coat of Ceracoat H series , magpul OD green , to match the furniture.

The rifle weighs 8.5 lbs. Most of which is that moderator !

What calibre?

When you get your mitts on it Matt, I'd love to get a chance at handling the rifle;. It's exactly what I was designing in my head - even l/h!

(think you'll need the 0.75" CTR cheek raiser)

this is in 243win ,lightweight stalker for me and adjustable stock in case any of the kids fancy a go, might put a folding bracket on the stock in the future

yeah no probs ,Orca also wants a look

I have another cheek riser which looks a lot higher

I've had the MDT Tac21 for around three months now, can't speak highly enough of modular Driven technologies products. Mine contains a Tikka T3 Super Varmint in .300 WSM and it's both very accurate and a sweet shooter, soaks up the recoil.

I highly recommend MDT products, looks like Baldie has put together a great rifle here.

not really my bag but interesting none the less ? baldie seems to have built another nice bit of kit.

how does the stock compare weight wise in comparison to PSE stuff? it doesn't look great for positional shooting or from sticks ?

The MDT LSS suffers from having a very short forend - MDT have a section on Canadian Gun Nutz forum and there users have been pleading for an LSS with a longer/deeper/wider forend but this seems to be falling on deaf ears. I discussed this with Maarten van Ruitenberg (co-director of MDT) over a series of e-mails, it appears that a small batch were made with extended forends for a US custom rifle builder at his request, but otherwise there has been no mention of releasing these to the open market. This was the ain reason I opted for the Tac21 over the LSS.

I've looked on their website and they are not inletted for many actions.

What is the general consensus re Tikka T3 actions? I have heard they are pretty good?

I also remember reading somewhere the best Remington actions are the early ones. The question is how early should I be looking?

Any thoughts on cheekweld / eyeline height for scope use?

I am quite tall and I prefer a very tight cheekweld, I think with the lowest ring height the stock would be too low with the current cheekpiece. As far as balance goes the short barrel really helps it is a rifle I could quite happily shoot offhand.

Archived