lightweight stalker

Continuing with my research I've been to my local gunshop and took the chance to measure up a few rifle stocks they had there. Having measured Mash's chassis it came in at approx 28" which is similar to most .22LR stocks. Standard rifle stocks came in at around the 32" mark.

Can the stock system fitted to the chassis be lengthened? If this is the case it might give me the extra 2" I think it needs.

The MDT LSS chassis can be fitted with almost any stock which will fit an AR15/AR10 rifle via a buffer tube or MDT fixed stock adapter. Thus it is fully adjustable, so I think the answer you seek is YES, but this is dependant upon two factors:

• The length/type of buffer tube used
  • The type of stock used.

Continuing with my research I've been to my local gunshop and took the chance to measure up a few rifle stocks they had there. Having measured Mash's chassis it came in at approx 28" which is similar to most .22LR stocks. Standard rifle stocks came in at around the 32" mark.

Can the stock system fitted to the chassis be lengthened? If this is the case it might give me the extra 2" I think it needs.

If you want to increase the overall length then the LSS Fixed Stock Adapter coupled with a fixed buffer tube will add at least 1-1.5" to the LOP. Using a butt stock like the Magpul PRS will give you even more extension opportunities. Of course you can also increase the length with the collapsible stocks too by adding an after market butt pad, or trying one of the new stocks I've just got in which had an thicker pad fitted by default.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok here we go
finally had time to test this rifle
Day one I managed to get 1 moa out of privy 90 grain at 200 yards and about .9 inch group with my 95 smk hand loads

The smk hand loads are full length sized privy brass on 4/5 firing, 35g of varget and are tested at max book load and then backed of a bit, the bullet is seated .025 of the lands and that's it, no more tweaking or farting about, so fairly basic by some standards

I fired these two groups and called it a day, I wanted to tweak some parts of the rifle, scope position and comb height mainly
that done

scope back on and zero unchanged, so that's good, rail and mounts match up very well
here is how it looks today S&B 4-16 x 50 precision hunter, obviously the comb needs changing for the next size up, 3/4 inch, I think this one is 1/2
2.png
1.png
Day two
One shot on the gong to verify zero then on to 3 groups at 200yrds
Edge to edge measurement minus calibre gave .55 .55 and .323, here are the pics

5.png

4.png

then I went to 600 yards, my scope couldn't go on the dial this far so gave some holdover and holding for a 6/8 mile an hour wind fairly steady, took about 8 shots to find the steel as I was shooting very low, finally saw a splash, after the first hit i took a more steady aim point, took two more quick ones, they landed about two inches apart, lowest two on the pic, should have taken 1 more to establish the group but still shows much promise.
here is another pic

7.png

when I walked to the steel I did the worst of deeds and dropped my rifle, ouch. luckily soft turf, so when I had re painted the gong I walked back to the car and at 110yards (that was all I could safely and comfortably find for a short range) it shot this, only 2 shots again I am afraid

6.png

to say I am chuffed is an understatement, the rifle shoots very well and when I can verify the same a few times will say superb. I need to check the zero over a few shoots to get it on a bit more, and if it shoots towards the lower group size with no load development this must be pretty cool.
Incidently I have not shot the rifle in/ conditioned the barrel and it has not been cleaned yet, the groups were all shot quickly because of the wind and I seem to shoot better if I don't dwell on the shot too long

I hope this is of some interest to those thinking of getting one of these chassis, they are very capable with a similar rifle, considering how small and un longrangish they are with AR stocks an all

well made Dave, cheers very much

• 2 months later...

Archived