What case lube should i get? Also, Wet or Dry??

Jamie

Hi folks,

I'm at the end of my Lee case lube that I bought with my reloading kit.

I was going to get some Imperial Sizing wax, but then I saw Hornady one shot case sizing wax, (Not the spray type). Are the Imperial and Hornady waxes likely to be pretty much the same?

I then saw some Lyman Fine Powdered Dry Case Neck. I'd prefer a dry powder, as I presume they leave less residue?

I was advised to try some graphite powder, from some ground up pencil led, but have had inconsistent results, and don't want to put any unnecessary stress on my new brass.

I'd like some constructive advice on whether to use a dry lube or just go with the normal wax?

Thanks

Jamie

ISW on outside, Graphite inside.

Hornady stuff is 'similar' but more 'sticky' and harder to remove.

Easy one this imp sizing wax all day long an d in stock :D

How much are the 1oz and 2oz pots with standard recorded postage Spud?

you should never tumble after sizing the next job after sizing is seating unless you deprime tumble then size

you should never tumble after sizing the next job after sizing is seating unless you deprime tumble then size

Why not? I check neck concentricity before and after tumbling and no issues

2Oz tin is £10.85 posted and will last a life time

That's just the job Spud. How do you want payment?

I'll pm you this post.

Thanks

Jamie

2Oz tin is £10.85 posted and will last a life time

Thanks Mark. Payment now sent.

Jamie

Interested in your wisdom on this too Spud?

I do a quick tumble to remove ISW from cases after sizing and have never had any dinged case mouths?

i justify the statement by saying that the only thing you want touching or interfering with a loverly sized case (neck or full length sized ) for that matter is the bullet that will be seated in there

its doubly more important as well with bushing style neck dies

thats my thoughts any way

just pm your address and my paypal is spud@1967spud.com or i can pm bacs

All done, cheers Mark.

i justify the statement by saying that the only thing you want touching or interfering with a loverly sized case (neck or full length sized ) for that matter is the bullet that will be seated in there

its doubly more important as well with bushing style neck dies

thats my thoughts any way

Interested on your ideas on this, but not following your rationale.

I use bushing dies, therefore only need ISW on O/D of my cases, so whether tumbled before or after it's use, surely it has no effect on the relationship between the bullet and I/D of necks.

I would however have more concerns over using loaded cases that had traces of ISW, and specks of debris clinging to them, being loaded in my rifles chamber.

I use Lyman spray lube solely for all resizing, unless I,m necking down etc, then i will use ISW.

I also tumble after sizing and have never had any problem with any cartridges.

sorry may be i should have said " i never " in stead "you should never"

we all have our own ways but i still stand by the fact that the only thing i want any where a newly sized case is the bullet and not other brass knocking in to it

Laurie what are your thought id be interested to see if you concur on this

Yes, I use home brew. Pure lanolin mixed with isopropanol to make a saturated mixture. Put it in a sprayer pump and away you go. It works very well,

spray it on cases, let the alcohol evaporate off and you are left with evenly coated cases. Resize and wipe off with a cloth.

I use a wet tumbler with stainless pins and it does seem to affect the original chamfer on the case mouth (peens it over a little but enough that its worth a quick 'stroke' with the chamfer tools after tumbling)....never had this with dry tumblers though.

I suffer from dermatitis with conventional oils,greases and lubricants.

So, in 1984, after a little research, I bought a 500g tub of "Wool Fat" (aka Pure Lanolin) from a pharmacy and have used that ever since for sizing pistol (38, 357, 9x19mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP and 44 - in the days before affordable carbide sizers) and rifle (222, 223,243,308) cases

It is a bit sticky but works well - I've never had a lubed case stick in a die - and no dermatitis.

About 10% of the tub has been used so far... I'll leave it in my will for the next generation(s).

I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter what you use (of the conventional lubes) as long as you do use it and you clean it off thoroughly afterwards.

Archived