17 rem barrel lenght

Hi V1 , im a little jealous , i love the small high fps center fires ! You should ask Si-Snipe on here as he has a wealth of knowledge on this cal . Hes also one of the best shots with it too. From memory he used N135 with great accuracy , charge - im not sure of . Drop him a pm hes a helpful chap like many of our members ;)

Hi V1 , im a little jealous , i love the small high fps center fires ! You should ask Si-Snipe on here as he has a wealth of knowledge on this cal . Hes also one of the best shots with it too. From memory he used N135 with great accuracy , charge - im not sure of . Drop him a pm hes a helpful chap like many of our members ;)

Thanks for that gunner yes my start with a 17 hornet led me too the 17 rem , its a call i always wanted to try but just never did , i love the 17 hornet, cant wait to get a proper weekend at the 17 rem, thanks for your advise

I can't remember where Si-Snipe posted his load, but it was 23.5gn N135 under a 25gn V-Max. which is significantly over max by the data I have (22.8gn, Lee data), so it isn't a lot of help, you'll have to work up as normal. He also said the rifle doesn't have the same barrel any more either!

I took it as a strong recommendation for N135 though, and it also has the benefit of being relatively kind to the barrel according to the spreadsheet on accurateshooter.com, which is a consideration with 17Rem, so it was the obvious choice for me.

I'm half way through working up a load of N135 with 25gn V-Max, 21gn is giving me over 3900ft/s from a 22.5" barrel, (which is more than predicted, no pressure signs yet) I was quite pleased to shoot a 9mm group too, at almost 200yd! :-)

Think i use to use 23.3-5gn of vit 135 in mine but then i changed powder to H4895 which i find a better powder with my 17rem using 22.5 i think with 25gn vmax...not able to check as not in UK...but i've had my 17rem with same barrel from new for almost 10yrs now had a bit of dip in accuracy a while back had crown and throat barrel checked all came back ok but did i then cleaned chamber/throat with JP bore paste and now shoots sweet as again...great cal and one i will always have in my collection.

20 vmax-n135-24.2 gns i have used this load for nearly 15yrs now never lets me down.

as always safe in my rifle work- up very slow with the .17rem - 0.2gns at a time.

I have had 17 rems since the mid nineties and is the rifle I use most ( when the wind aint howling )

I have experimented with quite a few powders and shot with most of the 17 bullets.

Like most good cals, there are quite a few powders which deliver good results in this fantastic calibre.

My personal choice is the 25 grn Vmax sat on either 21.5 grns of Vit 133 or 22.5 of vit 135.

This delivers pin point accuracy and a muzzle velocity over 4000 fps.

I have been using 20 grn Vmax over the summer months - launching that little pill at 4400 fps.

Both Vmax bullets are unbelievably effective on any vermin and will dispatch fox with authority

far above its weight,

I shot a large dog fox at 275 yrds last week - the fox simply folded on the spot, like a puppet with its stings cut.

Personally I would opt for a barrel length between a 20 inch and a 23 inch.

ATB

S .

That's what I did. I had a Jet Z on the end of the 24" barrel and it was just a bit too unwieldy in my fox blinds. Cut it back to 20" and fitted a Hausken SD 228 reflex style 17 cal moderator. Will be trying it out soon. Just waiting for the snow......

Archived