Diggle Fly Shoot

The Gun Pimp

Now there's a 'funny thing'. I've tried to say to Oaken "Goodonyer *ate!" four times in the original post and edit, and each time *ate where * = M is deleted.

Obviously an anti-something software issue. Is the word *ate where * = M is so redolent of the forbidden three letter word *ex where *=S, that it can't be used in polite company, that it has to be deleted? Even my late Calvinist, Church of Scotland mother wouldn't have been offended by this phrase although the 'Goodonyer' bit would have completely confused her!

Oh Lord ..... Give me strength, protect me from unbelievers, idiots, political correctness, and Spam controls!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Laurie

Good to meet you in person at last.

It was a fairly long and challenging journey home, what with stationary traffic on M6, roadworks on M5, the satnav failed 3 miles out of Diggle and my passenger, Pete (Swamp Donkey) buzzing about winning factory class with my old rifle. Very well done Pete btw :-), Im pretty sure you can read this even though you are unable to post here any more.

I did shamefully badly in the comp but still had a great day thanks to the hard work of the organisers and usual warm welcome from all the Diggle crew.

I was thoroughly impressed by the general standard of shooting especially given the tricky wind.

I will be back for another 15 attempts at that illusive fly next year.

I also agree with you Laurie, the over zealous moderating is not doing ukv any favours at all.

Rup

yes well done to all glad you got home safely Rupert great day as always and as Laurie said nice to meet a few UKV members well done to Vince and team

Thanks to all at Diggle for organising such a well run event - I did send Gun Pimp a PM last night thanking him and also enquiring if Fly Shoot caps were available as a momento of the day, if the interest is there he can get some more made up, anyone else interested? Maybe you can put up a price etc Vince?

Some fantastic shooting (first place was brilliant skill, not sure if he is on here?), didn't envy Rup travelling back home to Wiltshire.

Think my daughter has grabbed my fly patch for her school bag....

yeh he is on here sadly .i had to sit next to the smug git on the way home grinning like an anoying cheshire cat :lol: .well done gary (pork chop)some great shooting.conditions were not easy yet he produced this at 500.taking small group 2.132" winning on points and hitting the fly twice in the process.bravo sir

003-1.jpg

Got you Pork Chop!

Very well done, watched your groups through my spotting scope, was impressed!

Looks like you can hold a rifle steadier than your camera! Excitement of winning all the prizes!

Regards Grouse

Got you Pork Chop!

Looks like you can hold a rifle steadier than your camera! Excitement of winning all the prizes!

Regards Grouse

i took that pic :mad: thats it kick me whilst i'm down :lol:

Got you Pork Chop!

Regards Grouse

i can put a face to your name now buddy nice to meet you.yes it was mikes picture ,you will have to forgive him for it ,he was a bit tearful when he took it.

Well done to all who attended, always a great shoot, sadly I wasn't able to attend due to work commitment that couldn't be avoided.

Without wishing to abstract from the Fly Shoot threads; the moderation on the site is the same as its always been, firm and fair.

The site has always strived to be above the level of some other sites where slanging matches and meaningless drivel are posted and to be the "go to" place for accuracy buffs in the UK.

Long may that remain

sadly though ronin some of the guys see it as a big brother network.if someone has had a raw deal then in the correct manner they should be able to share it same as when someone gets a rave review.there was a collective group talking about this at the fly shoot one of the guys(swamp donkey??) who won small group factory i think has just been banned for ten years :o or so he said???? it is good that this forum is of a higher standard and it without doubt needs moderating well but there is alot of money parted with by dedicated shooters and a happy medium needs to be found as mass migration was being discussed (just being honest) and it would be a shame to keep culling active experienced shooters through over policeing .a ban for a month or two if someone is out of order but 10 years?not sure of the ins and out but one person was saying the word nigger had been left on here yet the word (sounds like gate), had been removed.i don't believe there to be any racist people on here but it made the guys point :blink:

don't ban me

mike

FWIW , I don't think this thread is the place to discuss this ?

ultimately I suppose 'it's my ball so my rules' applies?

I'm happy with that.

I've no problems with UKV moderating. It's just that I'm plain puzzled as to why the software wouldn't accept the word. It's in widespread colloquial use in this country anyway in its form as a noun meaning 'friend'.

I could only assume the issue is its other use as an active verb covering activities related to the propagation of the species - but even that doesn't seem rude or offensive. (If it were, David Attenborough, Kate Humble and all that lot and their wildlife TV epics would have to be banished to beyond the 9pm watershed.)

laurie , there was a thread about it a while ago (try a search) it's all explained there from memory (if your worried about it , I'm not I think it's just plain silly)

I really do not want to devalue the Fly Shoot thread by discussing moderating policies

Suffice to say that there are always two sides to people being expunged from the site - the matter remains between the site and the person removed (whoever that may be) and will stay that way.

A word or two have been placed on the software "edit" list - just because some offensive words are not on that list does not mean they are acceptable - the one used as example in a previous post is rarely used and id be very surprised and disappointed if anyone were to introduce it into a post or comment (which is why it wasn't considered for removal)

Mass exodus?- people have the right to go to wherever they feel they want to be.

The site is and remains the go to place for accuracy and like minded shooters in the UK, we have world class shooters, world class gunsmiths and people with vast experience who choose to stay and abide by the rules. They provide valuable insight, assistance and knowledge to those who ask.

UKV is a good place to be.

Now lets return to the Fly Shoot topic.

It sounds like the Fly Shoot was, as usual, a well run and fun place to be. Disappointed I couldn't make it this year but congratulations to those that did and well done to the winners - some very nice shooting there.

Archived