Personal best - at gongs.

fivehole

Just an idea, I have been watching the personnel best / long range stories with great interest . I find them very helpful, not only do they inspire me to try harder but they tell me what is possible they let me know how good I am in the real world. What I would like to suggest is as follows. We should adopt a standard size/type target ( I would suggest a steel gong 200 or 300mm ) we can all shoot at any distance we feel fit without the fear of wounding or our threads being locked. I am sure it will get the best out of us all after all theres nothing like a bit of competition to get you going. I am sure that many members would find the results very interesting I know I would enjoy seeing the resulting photos and write ups especially if all the relevant info ( ie rifle / calibre ) etc was published.

Waiting your response Neil.

Here is my Gong.

post-12365-0-49432100-1403042660_thumb.jpg

Made from 12mm Hardox, it's 20" x 20" ... The inner ring is 10" x 10".

I know it's a bit bigger than you suggest, but I'm shooting a .223 500 yrds plus!

This thing is serious... It takes direct hits at 100 yrds and doesn't been dent! Another can if white spray paint and it's as good as new!

Jay

If we are doing 'personal best gong shots' then my claim to fame is,

12" square plate at 871 yards, witnessed by Tiff and Az1, with a std Tikka 595 in .222 running 50gr vmax at 2850fps.

Three hits from five shots, and I know I'm never likely to better it, or even repeat it.

It was at a RRC event, and I was forced to use the .222 due to a trigger failure on the .308, so I swapped scopes, did a quick zero, and carried on regardless, my other 'spare' rifle at the time was the .444 Marlin, and that would never make it there let alone with any accuracy :)

Pete

If we are doing 'personal best gong shots' then my claim to fame is,

12" square plate at 871 yards, witnessed by Tiff and Az1, with a std Tikka 595 in .222 running 50gr vmax at 2850fps.

Three hits from five shots, and I know I'm never likely to better it, or even repeat it.

It was at a RRC event, and I was forced to use the .222 due to a trigger failure on the .308, so I swapped scopes, did a quick zero, and carried on regardless, my other 'spare' rifle at the time was the .444 Marlin, and that would never make it there let alone with any accuracy :)

Pete

444 marlin is along the same lines as 45/70 is it not? I'd say that millions of bison in the American west would argue with you about this statement!

444 marlin is along the same lines as 45/70 is it not? I'd say that millions of bison in the American west would argue with you about this statement!

:-) Well,the dead ones wouldn't,but the wounded ones might well do so!

Do we know the typical distances-the strategy would be to approach the herd as closely as possible,without stampeding them....in the beginning,that might well have been pretty close-under 200y?-but over time,and some terrain,maybe distances were a bit more...half a mile though seems to be pushing effective range a bit for shooting millions!

It was ,of course,a commercial pursuit,never remotely a 'sporting' activity.

Gbal

If we do continue to post gong shots,then following the gereral example of Pete's post might be very informative.

The circumstances may be relevant (eg sighted in on paper,beforehand,and decent drop data to hand),conditions esp wind,and the success rate-given enough shots almost any cf rifle can make moa hits on a gong,out to at least 600y,some better than double that....and that sometimes says more about the rifles precision and cartridge loading than the shooter,if rifle is well rested (any wind reading skill,needed is impressive).But can it be repeated....so four out of five hits tells a lot more than "I hit it",as well as raising the more interesting question as to why there was one miss (sometimes it's 'just' the shot that is outside the target/precision envelope of the rifle.)

Anyhow,the informed interest should be in the detail-it's quite different from say an athletics record-by definition the record is only done once,and is an indicator of ability (freak weather etc excluded),though you'd expect other performances to be very close.A once only shot is beginning to have a 'substantial random component' ,as the great CS Landis commented many decades ago,when early varminters claimed improbable 'personal bests'......so 'flukes' are nothing new...

Gbal

longest rugby touch line kick,boot to grass....258 yards (no wind).At school,age 13,125y.

Ok, my pb with the marlin is a 6" gong at 275yds, open sighted, also witnessed by tiff.

Bison are a pretty large target though, so could probably push it further. But in real life, on roe etc, it's a 150yd gun, maybe 200 with optics. I do know foxes at 85 yd don't like it up 'em

it could be interesting too see this as, the first person posted, on an 8" gong using your vermin rifles, as the gong is small enough to imitate that of a rabbit.

But how are you going to decided, as some can use a 6mm or even a 308, as there vermin rifle, some 22cal and lower.

Gentlemen,the spirit of this is accurate/precision shooting,without direct reference to sentient targets(though an 8" circular gong area is closer to x2 bunny profile,broadside.)

Not the point though-just say what the gong size was-we don't need to be 'standardised',surely.Ditto calibre/cartridge and rifle-just report what it all was.....it's 'gong open' class!

Gbal

They shoot regularly at diggle with 45/70's out to 1000yds. One lad who does it at one point was using exactly the same rifle as yours Pete but chambered in 45/70. He's now switched to somthing with a longer barrel though, because I don't think it was exactly competetive.

They shoot regularly at diggle with 45/70's out to 1000yds. One lad who does it at one point was using exactly the same rifle as yours Pete but chambered in 45/70. He's now switched to somthing with a longer barrel though, because I don't think it was exactly competetive.

:-) It's a 1000y gong....though it is relevant to add its nearly full size.....i.e. mob........ mound of bison...

Gbal

Tiffs going to win all the time unless anyone has more than a 1500 yard range.

:D

I've secured the lease on a bit more now, so 3,000 yards is possible - but I run out of elevation at 2,400 ish :lol:

Regarding target size - In my experience an 8" circular gong (with 'ears') is a good challenging target out to 800/1,000 yards. At that size it offers a reasonable chance of being hit with the first round. However beyond this distance, the target size really needs to be increased to have any reliability in hits.

Past 1,000 yards the windage really starts to become an 'issue' and targets need to be around the 0.75 to 1 MOA size, to be able to provide useful feedback. At 1,500 yards and beyond full size IPSC / IDPA targets present a good challenge; although at 22kg for a 10mm hardox IPSC, carrying them into position isn't much fun...

My best group with my 223 ackley at 400 yards

E4F30882-077A-4223-AFE5-42F9A739D60B.jpg

Pleased with that as 90% of the time it's my lamping gun

I've had my 6br out to 840 yards with constant hits, not sure on gong size 10-12 inch maybe was the biggest but they went smaller, what I was still hitting. Some chaps are on here they might no more than me :)

Gaz

or you could just join a club and test yourself against fellow shooters whenever you like at all distances.

TS, out of interest, are you a member of a long range target shooting club yourself, and if so which one?

I ask, as you're not too far from me and I'd like to get my finger out my butt this year and try and join a club.

atb

Jamie

My best group with my 223 ackley at 400 yards

E4F30882-077A-4223-AFE5-42F9A739D60B.jpg

Pleased with that as 90% of the time it's my lamping gun

I've had my 6br out to 840 yards with constant hits, not sure on gong size 10-12 inch maybe was the biggest but they went smaller, what I was still hitting. Some chaps are on here they might no more than me :)

Gaz

Gaz,

Where did you get your "Fox" type gong, and could I be nosey and ask what that type are selling for?

I'm looking for a cheap gong for field practice. I can sort the chain, links and stand, but no idea on the gong and drilling out the holes?

I did have a look at some at the shooting show at Stoneleigh this year, but they wanted silly money. I appreciate the high cost of metal these days, but it's hardly "technical" work to complete it.... Unless it's an expensive type of hardened steel??

Was thinking of visiting my local metalwork fabricator... <_<

Jamie

Archived