Personal best - at gongs.

fivehole

Got these off Bruce at the shooting show good price and still going strong ;)

Ar400 and ar500 takes some beating :)

D663FDA0-4EBC-4481-A8EE-626F05009384.jpg

Can't remember the price but wasn't that much with the amount of fun you have with them

Gaz

Is there any noticeable difference with the AR 400 steel and the AR500 steel targets in terms of impact damage? Basically is it worth paying the extra and getting the 500 or anyone advise getting the 400 steel and saving a few quid.

My 8inch gong is made from some sort of stainless steel designed for steam turbine and high pressure steam and steam high pressure boilers, it's absolutely solid but weighs a ton!

So I'm looking at getting some proper ones.

Steve.

+1 on BH targets , good price from memory and excellent service . The only problems ( if I can call it that , not a criticism ) is the shackles and chains get a bit bladdered by direct hits . We have a number on the shoot where we can reposition ourselves to get from 100 back to 600 + so sometimes the accuracy can mean edge / missing shots . We have from 222 up to 7mm/ 300 in use so they do get a bit if a blasting . Plates hold up other than edge shots so we are looking to go to dome head bolts with seat belt straps on rear soon ( this was suggestion from rup , thankyou ) . I'll see if I can sort some pics as they prob show better . Atb Ian

TS, out of interest, are you a member of a long range target shooting club yourself, and if so which one?

I ask, as you're not too far from me and I'd like to get my finger out my butt this year and try and join a club.

atb

Jamie

Worcestershire is not well provided with long rifle ranges, there's Offa's Dyke Rifle Club http://www.offasrifleclub.com/ they don't have a home range, but can get on various MoD ranges.

Bisley may be the best option, which is a pity as it's too far for me to consider shooting regularly.

We only have a couple of indoor rangers for .22 rimfire and 1 x 50 meter range.

I'm luck that I have over 12000 acres of land, where I have built my own land and can shoot targets etc out to as far as I choose.

I'm going to order some more gongs from bhtargets this week I think.

Steve.

Are steel targets actually a good thing to shoot? The way they smash the bullet and deposit lead dust all over the grass and soil nearby means I would never want to use them on agricultural land. They must be heavily contaminated with lead after shooting, which doesn't sound like something I want to carry about.

I prefer paper targets as they are a record of precisely where each shot went.

Lol :-)

I'm not an "enviro-mentalist", but the impact on myself and others of what I do does concern me, especially when using known hazardous material. Can you just forget about what happens to the lead you fling about the place? would you be happy to shoot a gong in your back garden? In your vegetable patch?

The more I read about lead the less of it I want to ingest. This isn't some hippy carp, the health effects are well established, and new research suggests even low levels of exposure can have a damaging effect especially in children, in fact it is thought there is no safe exposure threshold for children ref: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=7&po=10

Where I shoot any quantity of bullets on my family's land I use large pieces of wood for a backstop, which is eventually used as firewood and the ashes, including the lead, disposed of as household waste.

On a range, well, the whole place is going to end up contaminated anyway and nobody is going to be eating the soil or anything grown in it.

Spent pellets etc are going to cause some increase in lead levels, but they are fairly stable, they take a long time to corrode away, which means they are not giving off a lot of lead per year as they do so.

I'm no expert, but it seems that reducing the bullet to dust is going to result in a lot of bioavailable lead, and handling equipment coated in it is likely to lead to exposure. You go ahead, I'll use paper targets! :-)

Got these off Bruce at the shooting show good price and still going strong ;)

Ar400 and ar500 takes some beating :)

D663FDA0-4EBC-4481-A8EE-626F05009384.jpg

Can't remember the price but wasn't that much with the amount of fun you have with them

Gaz

Gaz,

Where did you get the "building site" type steel rods from?

Or is it in the name?

Jamie

Dogge, exactly. What about the ones that miss your backstop?The ones you collect in the timber you burn, evaporated particles go up the chimney and you then transport the remaining lead to a landfill thereby contaminating that area of land and burning fossil fuel in the process. Eventually most landfill sites are 'reclaimed' and returned to green belt.......

Hmmm, environmentally friendly?

No, I'm not criticising you just making a point that a lot of E friendly actions actually aren't.

Gaz,

Where did you get the "building site" type steel rods from?

Or is it in the name?

Jamie

Surprising what's left about on the side of roads ;)

Lol

Gaz

Lol :-)

I'm not an "enviro-mentalist", but the impact on myself and others of what I do does concern me, especially when using known hazardous material. Can you just forget about what happens to the lead you fling about the place? would you be happy to shoot a gong in your back garden? In your vegetable patch?

The more I read about lead the less of it I want to ingest. This isn't some hippy carp, the health effects are well established, and new research suggests even low levels of exposure can have a damaging effect especially in children, in fact it is thought there is no safe exposure threshold for children ref: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=7&po=10

Where I shoot any quantity of bullets on my family's land I use large pieces of wood for a backstop, which is eventually used as firewood and the ashes, including the lead, disposed of as household waste.

On a range, well, the whole place is going to end up contaminated anyway and nobody is going to be eating the soil or anything grown in it.

Spent pellets etc are going to cause some increase in lead levels, but they are fairly stable, they take a long time to corrode away, which means they are not giving off a lot of lead per year as they do so.

I'm no expert, but it seems that reducing the bullet to dust is going to result in a lot of bioavailable lead, and handling equipment coated in it is likely to lead to exposure. You go ahead, I'll use paper targets! :-)

I'm not a million miles from Gareth's thinking - I'll admit a 'sin' here; I have never let my children eat game birds shot with lead shot for precisely the reasons he outlines - and I've been struggling to design a 22lr backstop for the paddock that offers near complete lead-dust containment - because the brats play there.

I think sandbags are the only lead dust free option (but I wouldn't be burning lead filled wood! :lol: )

Surprising what's left about on the side of roads ;)

Lol

Gaz

Can't argue with that! :lol:

Archived