Actual Bushing Diameters - What Tolerances?

Bianchi

Is anyone aware of the acceptable tolerances during production of bushings for neck sizing dies? Could it be that anything goes in a range of 1 thou before changing the as marked ID? For example, a .291 bushing could vary from .2905 to ..2915, ,.2901 to ..291 or from .291 to .2919.

I have measured two .307 Redding bushings with an inner micro and observed a difference of almost 2 hundredth mm, I.e. 0.0008" between them. Another example was the decrease of only .0003" in neck OD after first sizing with a .323 followed by a .322 Redding bushing in an effort to increase neck tension.

I have a set and all I'm concerned about is that if one bushing doesn't do what I want, then I can step up a bushing or down a bushing. For my reloading the actual dimensions are irrelevant. What im looking to do is repeat the process using the same kit and components again and again. (Apart from sticking a case in a bushing die earlier this week.)

Regards

JCS

there is a 1/2 taper from the top (where the numbers are ) to the bottom as vince has stated they are a ground object

there is a 1/2 taper from the top (where the numbers are ) to the bottom as vince has stated they are a ground object

So should the number be facing up all the time ? Was using today and either brass was springing back or its was1-2 thou diffrence than what it said on the bushing ?

i've never bothered to measure, but i was always under the impression that the wilson bushings were slightly tapered as has been suggested but the redding bushings ran parallel. i stand to be corrected on this though.....

Archived