Ok, first off let me say this post definitely falls into the category of "showing off a new toy"... but hopefully it will be of interest to some.

Saturday morning at the rather soggy RRC my new laser rangefinder was delivered via my parents. However running a firing point, without the units manual and in decidedly bad weather wasn't the best time to get acquainted with it, so I've spent today leaning how it works after I found a manual online.

In short the PLRF15C is superbly built and simply works - you put the reticle on something, press a button and get a range reading. The glass is brilliant and at 6x the magnification is very usable - although I am looking into fitting a 1.5 x eyepiece in the future for small targets past 2,500 yards. The difference between this unit and 'lesser models' is that you can stand freehand, press a button and range a cow 2,500+ yards away in a gently sloping moorland field. Then by pressing the button again, get the azimuth and inclination in degrees to the target. It will also do the distance between two objects and the vertical height difference between two points. Another useful feature is it will range up to 3 distances with one press of the button - i.e. a tree at the bottom of the valley and also the field behind. Plus the gate function which can be set it to ignore objects closer to the user - i.e if ranging from a covered position or through a wire fence or similar at different distances up to circa. 2km away. Plus of course you can use the interface cable and link it to a Trimble Nomad running Field Firing Solutions (or similar), which is also linked up to a kestrel, to get a real time range card - something possibly for the future!

The only very small issue with my unit is I need to replace the rubber eyepiece, since this was removed by the previous owner. Guessing a binocular supplier/repair shop would be a good start?

Anyways enough ramblings from me, here are some pictures I took from home today:

Comparison for size - Vectronix PLRF15C & Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide (650 grams and 390 grams respectively)

IMG_0395_zps963e3dd2.jpg

IMG_0393_zpsf3ea40ad.jpg

The reticule in mils is laser etched on the unit, so you select your target and only have to press the button once to get a red display and reading - a lot easier to use than a leica/swaro. etc. At first it comes up with 'd15' for 'Distance':

IMG_0381_zps8b7b2a2c.jpg

Then half a second later gives the readout:

IMG_0382_zps3b4f4141.jpg

The inclination to the 'target':

IMG_0383_zps92a46c1f.jpg

I then realised there was nothing further away to range in the valley at home, so drove a few miles up the hill.

IMG_0386_zps3b762317.jpg

There is a tractor in the above image - approx. 4.5 mils up and 2.5 mils left of centre - so I decided to range that:

IMG_0391_zpsc9284d73.jpg

Short of driving a few miles further on, the side of this house was the furthest object away that I could find to range:

IMG_0392_zpsbf8df233.jpg

These pictures were taken with a cheap digital camera roughly lined-up, so the resolution of the image is very poor in comparison to what you actually see when look through the unit, but hopefully give you an idea.

I will be looking for a sensibly priced non-magnetic tripod for the unit, so as ever, any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tiff

I also had a play with tiffs unit on Sunday morning, from the top of a torr, I ranged a barn at 4452m away, the accuracy and repeatability, along with the artillery type ranges it works to, is nothing short of amazing.

Very nice unit, and smaller than my bushnell that struggles on deer past 500yds, if I'm really lucky, on a very reflective (back of a police van) target, it'll just manage 1500yds in the right conditions, not the 4.5km tiffs does in drizzle !!

I bought one from Tc last year and absolutely love it.

Nothing like them....absolutely nothing.

Do you still find yourself ranging stuff to prove how stupidly good they are ? :-)

Off the tripod I'm using an Optronic 2.5 x eyepiece, works a treat. I'm also making a mount to co-witness with a spotter.

If anyone has a source for the PDA cable with trigger as a reasonable price I'm after one....

Tony

Tiff,

your barred from the site now,,,,,

Not jealous at all..

:D

I'm feeling a little smug

Yes, a big thank you for putting me in touch with the units previous owner. I'm not sure what the british varminting record is, but I now plan on setting a few this year...

TC - How exactly have you attached the Opticron 2.5 boster - 40940 part number I'm guessing? I saw on SH an english chap used a derilin bushing and Opticron adapter, do you have any further info and possibly pictures?

Also what non-magnetic tripod are you using?

Cheers,

Tiff

Hi Tiff,

I stole the idea from SH too. 40946 adapter fits straight on using the self adhesive felt supplied as a liner, no need for delrin etc. I can take a pic tomorrow.

I already had a carbon fibre Manfrotto. I doubt it is truly a-magnetic but I am not calling in air strikes....

Enjoy!

Tony

I was the English chap !

PLRF10FittedwithOpticronBoosterampOpticr

SwarovskiBoosterfittedtoPLRF10_zps4589ca

I tried both the Swarovski 2x and the Opticron 2.5x and the 2.5 was a neater setup . Dont bother with the rubber eyecup as mine stays off now anyway .

don't go any bigger than 2.5x or you won't be able to see the read out and make sure you line around the eyepiece for a snug fit to keep the reticle centered .

OSOK

OSOK - small world :D

I'll order the Opticron parts later today and won't bother with a new eyepiece.

What sort of wonga are these and where can I get one?

Lots! I'm selling my little used AIAE MKIII to fund it :o

They come up secondhand every now and then (make sure it's not 'hot' before buying...), or new from Vectronix for circa £5,000 for this model.

OSOK - small world :D

I'll order the Opticron parts later today and won't bother with a new eyepiece.

Lots! I'm selling my little used AIAE MKIII to fund it :o

They come up secondhand every now and then (make sure it's not 'hot' before buying...), or new from Vectronix for circa £5,000 for this model.

:o

Told you `Tiff,

your barred!

:P

Told you `Tiff,

your barred!

:P

Haha :D . I've just ordered the Opticron parts, so by next weekend (if the weather is kind), I hope to set a new personal best by reaching past the mile mark on an IPSC steel. I may have to post a pic or two....

Tiff , Don't order based upon what you see on mine as my first thought was of using the Swarovski 2x and in order to fit that Callum made me a delrin sleve to fit tightly over the eyepiece which i've kept on . The Opticron adaptor that i'm using is sized to fit over the delrin and not over the PLRF eyepiece . Check on Opticron;s website for the nearest size to the eyepiece that will require the least packing out .

Just as a matter of interest i found no difference in the optical quality between the two boosters which made me try other Opticron adaptors for the same booster and now use the booster for the occasional view through the Swarovski HD65 with my fixed 20x giving me a very useful 50x . The 8x DBA monocular works great with it if you don't want to carry a spotter but sometimes need more power than your bins .

OSOK

OSOK, interesting to hear about the optical quality being the same between the boosters - that was one of my hesitations about buying the Opticron.

I measured the PLRF eyepiece and it's 32.385mm - so it looked like the 40946 is the closet match at 33.30 mm. I may well do the same and make a bushing in the lathe at the farm - just need to order a tiny bit of derlin/acetal....If I cut up anymore kitchen chopping boards I may well be in trouble!

Love these guys! Also using vectronix. This being their PB and all down to that unit.

What you reckon Tiff, you match this this year!? Lol

All the best and not at all jealous,

J

CZV

Ronin I apologise about this post in advance...

I ordered the Opticron parts yesterday at 1pm from Binoculars UK and Wex Photographic (neither had both parts in stock) and they both arrived today 21 hours later via ParcelForce - not bad service :) .

I will make a bushing, but for the moment some felt and ptfe tape does the job.

IMG_0406_zps2f04b56c.jpg

Normal view at 6x.

IMG_0405_zps7d51c532.jpg

Now at effectively 15x with the 2.5x eyepiece added.

IMG_0399_zps9aed2823.jpg

IMG_0398_zps578ea2bf.jpg

IMG_0403_zps6b8fc7be.jpg

IMG_0402_zps0b10b886.jpg

I found with the 2.5x eyepiece added, I could range one of the horses in the field and get a repeatable distance for that horse, the hedge/trees in front and the sloping field behind it!

If you are really into long/extreme range shooting and are ever offered the chance to buy one of these PLRF units, simply say yes and sort the finances out later!

N.B. As before, cheap camera etc. so glass quality is miles better reality, but the pictures give an idea at least.

Sort of still related...I wandered about fitting the 2.5x eyepiece to my IOR 12-52x56, so it could be used for spotting way out there. This lamb is at 731 yards:

IMG_0418_zps3ebd9bc0.jpg

12x

12x_zps2a64b5d5.jpg

26x

26x_zps5f7b7f26.jpg

52x

52x_zps385a10e1.jpg

130x

130x_zps279657fc.jpg

I think in better light (quite overcast today) and with the right bushing it may well be possible to use for spotting - if only I could adapt it for shooting as well!

That's not half bad at 130x, it looks like a bit of reflection on the eye piece lens, how critical was eye relief?

Yep the cheap camera is reflecting in the eyepiece - it's surprisingly difficulty to take a freehand picture correctly focused, showing the whole view...However it is easily useable for spotting when on the rifle and the cheekpiece is correctly positioned. Unfortunately it offers no eye-relief as such, thus it would be un-shootable on anything much past .22lr....

I've experimented further this afternoon and the image is very clear to around 80x-90x and then starts to loose definition as it goes past 100x. Even at this power it should prove very useful for spotting splashes at longer ranges (i.e. > 1,500 yards). I'll set-up a newspaper next time I'm up at the RRC and see at what distance I can read the headline....

OSOK - Glad you like it and thanks for the original post on SH :) Definitely try and catch up at some point - I'm guessing your also into the ELR game?

Cheers,

Tiff

Archived