GOOD EVENING, slight u turn on my last post,new scope has arrived but it is moa/moa not the mil/mil it was supposed to be ,long story.any way I am now hoping for advice on moa/moa scope for longer range shooting ,out to perhaps 600 yards,

Not a lot to know really- just get a rangefinder then get lotsa practice at wind estimation :P

I assume it's a SFP model?

You haven't said what your gun/load/quarry is so that doesn't give us many clues as to what else to tell you.

Given you aren't likely shooting at Taliban from unknown distances, it's probably no loss the scope isn't FFP in mils

(further- just read the OP of your initial intentions..)

I'll pike out and let some generous local take you under their wing- basically a picture speaks 1000 words.

Lot easier than reading theory.

I'm of the same opinion as MJR, send it back. It's not what you ordered.

But if you keep it MOA isn't the end of the world. I use it very successfully on a couple of my rifles without any issue. The advice you received can be directly transferred from Mil. Use ballistic software and input the correct data.

I have worked in Mils and MOA and just now work in clicks. This works for both wind and range but you do have to put in time making your tables. A quick way as mentioned is to know the MV and feed this into a ballistic programme. It will get you near but in my experience there is no replacement for plotting shots. Simple formulas work with wind but a wind meter and chart works well.

Unknown distance shooting requires accurate range finding. Without a range finder you can do it with mildots and a simple chart. Less accurate as the range gets longer but I have used it for first round hits at 600m.

Always remember to go back to zero and take the deflection off before changing range.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

GOOD EVENING,hope I am in the correct forum.just wanted to say a great big thanks to rabbit fingers for his time and patience today helping me to understand getting into longer range,a great day and a lot learnt just need more practice again thank you .

Archived