help loading for 6.5x47

silent_varmintor

Hello lads.

I'm hoping for someone to give a little advise about loading for. 6.5x 47. I've came from a bog standard .223 and the. 6.5x47 is proving to be out within my skills so far. !!

I've just got the rifle a couple weeks ago but not had a chance to do anything with it til now.
I made up a dummy round to try it and see how it feeds and extracts but it's a job and a half closing the bolt. I've got a hornady OAL gauge so I know the seating depth for it. Cases are sitting at 1.840" out of the box

I've came across the subject of bumping the shoulders back, and after advise I tried to full length size the case and I got the bloody stuck !!! And while trying to get it out with the ram I pulled my damn loading station off the wall !!! Not a great day but in the end got the station back on the wall and got the stuck case out. I went through the instructions for setting up the die again which is forster bench rest FL die and Micro seater Die. After trying another case through the die and upon inspection its covered in scratches.

Anybody give me a description on bumping shoulders back ? The smith that done the rifle face me a part of my rifle barrel that was reamed out and said I can use that to check for how much to bump back and this was instead of using a hornady tool. Would I be right in saying that this tool is the head space tool ?

Feel kinda stupid asking this questions as i already reload but I as I said coming from a .223 to this cal is proving a challenge for me.

any help appreciated

craig

Who built the rifle? If you don't mind me asking and what do they say about the matter??

Don't think you should be struggling to chamber new brass especially with no bullet inserted!

What action is the build on, are the headstamps being scored?

At this moment i dont want to say who built it incase its summit stupid im doing and end up speaking bad of him when its not him or the rifle u know.

I did think that its a bit weird that brand new brass is hard to chamber with no bullet, was expecting the bolt to glide home and close smoothly.

This is just a thought but if there was a mix up with reamers and a tight neck reamer was used instead of a standard , would this cause an issue? We spoke about tight necks but as i looked confused to what he was on about we agreed that standard was good for me.

Craig

The other thing that sounds fishy is that the case stuck in the die when FL sizing a previously unfired case...... how were the cases lubed? A no neck turn chamber should certainly chamber virgin brass readily, are there any marks on the case neck of those cases that were chambered?

they were lubed with lyman spray lube. what sort of markings would i be looking for on the neck if something is wrong mate ?

craig

cant help with your problem but i used to use lyman spray and had nothing but trouble with it .either a stuck or dinted case could never get the amount of lube right so bined it

At this moment i dont want to say who built it incase its summit stupid im doing and end up speaking bad of him when its not him or the rifle u know.

I did think that its a bit weird that brand new brass is hard to chamber with no bullet, was expecting the bolt to glide home and close smoothly.

This is just a thought but if there was a mix up with reamers and a tight neck reamer was used instead of a standard , would this cause an issue? We spoke about tight necks but as i looked confused to what he was on about we agreed that standard was good for me.

Craig

No - a new empty case would still chamber even if the reamer was ground to cut an undersize neck.

I must admit, after chambering a barrel with no and no-go gauges, I always try a new case - very unusual for it not to easily fit.

Sounds to me like its been short chambered or there is a physical obstruction in the chamber preventing a new case entering and the bolt being closed.

The ejection plunger isn't stuck fast ?

Suggest using headspace gauges to check it (go gauge), it should close on go, a snug close using single finger.

Return to smith who made it and advise of problem

Which would have been my first move rather than post here as you'll get 00's of differing opinions without anyone having actual sight of the problem...

:)

Ive built loads of 47's, all usually at 0 or headspace +.002", all chamber new brass easily.

Unless its a fitted neck of course….

If the rifle has been proofed, it will have had a go and a no go gauge in it. Its part of the proof procedure.

Try a different batch of brass. Its happened before that lapua have put out a crap batch. I have a half box sat here that wont even slide into a shell holder.

Does the bolt close easily , empty ?

Take the firing pin assembly out and see if it closes easily. It should drop under its own weight.

Baldie, you beat me to it.

About 6 or 7 years ago there was a batch of bad Lapua 6.5x47 brass, I know because several friends of mine suffered with it. I for life of me can't remember the problem but I have a suspicion that it was chamber related. I have emailed them and asked for more information, as soon as they get back to me I will let you know.

Update lads.

Spoke to a very helpful lad today on the phone and we have came to the conclusion it is the extractor. Cos i was getting small marks on the rim and small shavings of brass on the bolt face we came up with a test, take out the extractor and see if it bolt closes easy and it does.

I've put it back in and its a lot better. Closes easy with both empty cases and dummy rounds about 80% and occasionally still stiff. Feel like a right numpty cos i had the same problem with my old .223 when i 1st got it. Bolt was really hard to close and it turned out to be the extractor, after a new one fitted it was fine. Didn't even think about it til it was mentioned to me.

Would it be worth while upgrading the extractor for a sako style or just buy a new extractor ? I thought about doing this to the old .223 bolt but after the cheaper option of new extactor worked i just left it.

Baldie : About your advise about the bolt closing itself without the firing pin assembly in it. I tried this with the old .223 bolt but it never fell under its own weight . I took it as i was getting resistance from the lugs. It is just a factory rem 700 action, this make sense ?

craig

Hi I had a problem with the same die and new that I was doing it right so sent die back to USA. It turned out the die was at fault not finished right in the same cal as you too. I am not to far from you Craig if you want help I'm out near abyone if u need and have forster dies here same as you and the neck Bush bump die as well. I can PM you my number if you need help I know Russel gall supplies the headspace bit of barrel as you suggested as well with his rifles and his work is good to my knowledge.

Ahh.

Yep, extractor sounds like its the culprit alright. I assumed when you said it had a new bolt that it would be a PTG one, which have the sako extractor fitted as standard.

Remington extractors and especially non OEM ones are notorious for either working or not.

The one with the very worst reputation is the 223 tactical for some reason...most are bad.

Your remmy may not drop shut without the pin assembly in, because its handle is very light. Tactical handles etc are heavier and do it easily, however, you would feel that it was loose by touch.

Brass shavings are a perfect indicator that an extractor is not right/happy.

baldie : You 100% certain that PTG comes with sako as standard ? As far as i;m aware this is a PTG bolt i got, i knew it was coming from the states.

It was you that sorted my extractor baldie when you fitted a tactical knob for my remy bolt, which was a .223 tactcial ;)

craig

I,ve only seen/used PTG bolts that had sako extractors fitted, but thats not to say that they dont also do them with standard remington extractors also. I could,t see any point in going to the trouble of replacing a complete bolt without having a sako extractor included.

Archived