foxing coat

River west smock has magnetic pockets handy for silent also got the ridge line smock very good use them two mainly river west one in max1 cammo for sitting out and ridge line for lamping :)

Just got the Rivers West Field Pro smock myself, after a recommendation from fizzbangwallop.

Looks like a good piece of kit. Surprisingly, Amazon had the best price I could find. Lots of keener prices advertised, but on enquiring, they didn't have them in stock.

George

River west smock has magnetic pockets handy for silent also got the ridge line smock very good use them two mainly river west one in max1 cammo for sitting out and ridge line for lamping :)

hi I've had a look at river west smock and almost bought one on the spot ,is £120 about right?

hi I've had a look at river west smock and almost bought one on the spot ,is £120 about right?

Deerhunter Ram has lots of pockets, Kammo Kodiack takes some beating.

Hi, is it waterproof and silent and what price would you expect to pay?

I don't mind paying if it's up to the job ;)

It's allegedly a full house:- windproof, waterproof, thermal, silent, etc.

I paid £126 from Amazon. Lots were advertised at £120, but upon phoning, found out out they weren't in stock. Certainly not in the size I wanted anyhow.

Front pocket is big enough for a thermal, bins, etc.

They have a fishtail rear and a short(ish) front. Very high collar and a detachable hood too. Small pocket on the sleeve and a another small pocket on the lower front, along with a really big hand-warmer compartment.

George

It's allegedly a full house:- windproof, waterproof, thermal, silent, etc.

I paid £126 from Amazon. Lots were advertised at £120, but upon phoning, found out out they weren't in stock. Certainly not in the size I wanted anyhow.

Front pocket is big enough for a thermal, bins, etc.

They have a fishtail rear and a short(ish) front. Very high collar and a detachable hood too. Small pocket on the sleeve and a another small pocket on the lower front, along with a really big hand-warmer compartment.

George

Hi thanks for the reply ,I'm very tempted like you said its the front pocket and the soft silent feel that I really liked ,I tend to walk a bit ,how does it cope with this ?

Hi thanks for the reply ,I'm very tempted like you said its the front pocket and the soft silent feel that I really liked ,I tend to walk a bit ,how does it cope with this ?

George asked me about my Field Pro a couple of weeks ago.....

Foxshooter is right.. they can be a bit 'boil in the bag' if you're tabbing hard but with the right layering underneath they're fine...... I've been using mine for beating all season and prefer to volunteer to do all the 'long walks' so I don't get bored hanging round. Was out on Thursday in the sun and was wearing T shirt, tattersall shirt and tie, thin Harkila fleece, Deerhunter gilet.... tabbed for a mile or more on a couple of drives and was starting to glow by the end of those but I didn't bother stripping a layer off and was comfortable..... ie I didn't chill down. The moisture does stay on the inside surface of the jacket and I only noticed when I pulled it over my head when I got home.

I'm a 42" chest and the Large measures 64cm/25" pit to pit and the arms, pit to cuff, are the same length.. I use mine up a high seat too and can get a pair of Montane fleece pile salopettes and a Montane Extreme smock in the same stuff under mine.... the front pouch is big but the handwarmer pouch pocket behind it is like a black hole...... ie NV spotter, thermal spotter, gloves, ammo, foxpro handset, torch, another torch, phone, cuddly toy, breadmaker....... if you get my drift. :lol: I've had a 'scope in there too when I've switched to the dedicated and now walk with a stoop.

I think you could say I like it a lot....... the hood is a big billy bonus and the fishtail stops you getting a wet arse. The claim is that you can wash it on warm and re-instate the waterproofing by tumble drying it - I've not needed to wash mine yet.... 'cos it don't smell yet...... and I've had it since the beginning of the year and that has included 3 or 4 days beating some weeks!

Pricewise... George's find on Amazon at £126 is good, retail looks to be around £160 in some places, average secondhand (like mine was) are about £100..... there are Hill Pro's around now which I've not seen and I think these are lighter with a lining - cheapest I've seen on those was £85 last week on fleabay or the NGO at £120.

's me

Fizz

:ph34r:

Rivers West? Don't you mean Rivers of Sweat!!

They don't breathe much so just be aware.

I have found the Ridge Line gear to be very good

MArk

I would say more the other way round myself

+1 on rivers west. I've been out in real hard rain and managed to squeeze my knees in too while crouching, I stayed dry. Then when the rain stopped, I got wet by standing up, it was running out the fabric :/

I can't fault it, ok, it's not too 'breathable' but I've never noticed till removal, oh, and the cuffs do loosen a little, which is good as I struggled to get my spade hands back out at first.

Pete

My only green coat is a nomad smock. Bloody brilliant bit of kit if expensive. Mine has been straffed by bramble many times and stays waterproof. It is very light weight. Some folk complain it holds water but I haven't found it an issue.

now for a cold weather coat just buy a snug pack softie.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Harkila pro hunter at the Midland last year, although it's not been cold enough yet to comment on its thermal properties it's certainly water / windproof and pretty quiet and it's also got loads of pockets.

Sold my Ridgeline jacket as it didn't breath at all,very disappointing. Bought a Swazi instead, best jacket I've ever bought. Tested it recently on a stalking trip to Scotland. Did not let me down:)

Buy cheap buy twice!

I've had a Harkila Prohunter for 3 years now and use it for everything. It's well designed and allows good movement with lots of useful pockets, its really hard wearing, completely waterproof and plenty warm enough in colder weather. If anything its too warm during the summer but I've got a lightweight smock I wear in the summer. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

That said I've been looking at Arc'teryx for my next purchase. It comes very highly recommended.

Archived