Frog lube?

MJR

Now you've come to mention it, I could never actually work out WTF a USDA approval has to do with a gun lube, and the 'Green' bit is well, stretching things a bit - a 'Green' gun = oxymoron :)

But if it works then what does it matter?

T

I think it has more do with the way it can be shipped rather than whether it's "green"

I use C2R as we'll and that doesn't smell nice, wasn't invented by a Navy Seal and has no marketing hype. As I said, if something works then why not use it?

Anyone else tried this? I've been using it on my stalking rifle and it seems to work well as anti corrosion.

There's another thing you may consider that does a very similar job,

It was very popular years ago and It's called an oily rag

Now you've come to mention it, I could never actually work out WTF a USDA approval has to do with a gun lube, and the 'Green' bit is well, stretching things a bit - a 'Green' gun = oxymoron :)

But if it works then what does it matter?

T

Maybe it's from the food industry

Bladders I don't think the action would sit well with an oily rag under it but the frog lube seems to fit ok. What thickness of oily rag do you use in yours?

I can make you an oily rag FOC and post it to you

What's your address?

timmeyer.gif

Thanks guys but I haven't heard (bar one) from anyone that's tried it, just sceptics? I haven't actually tried it as a cleaning agent, was hoping someone had already.

Bladders, thanks for the generous offer but I've already got loads of oily rags in the workshop, if you'd like extra let me know and I'll send you some down. What SAE would you like?

In what way?

My own .22 works very well with any lube or no lube at all

Not sure to be honest, just remember him mentioning it up at the Roundhouse the other week in passing conversation. I'll drop him a line about this thread.

Yep, use it on my CMMG. Warm up the working parts with a hair dryer, apply the frog lube and then buff off. Do this 2 times a year. It helps to prevent carbon adhering to metal and so heavy carbon build up is easily wiped off. Didn't use frog lube for the first 500 rounds I put through the rifle and the carbon was stubborn, after applying frog lube I found that the carbon was easier to remove.

I also use it to precondition the bore of my .308. Before using frog lube I found that a clean bore would take around 8-10 rounds to 'settle down'. By applying one patch of frog lube followed by a couple of dry patches, my POI is correct from the first round and stays consistent there on. Have used this method for most of this year, thats over 1000 .308 rounds and so you could say its tested. That being said, a method that works for my rifle may not work for another.

Archived