New build questions. 6br?

Mike357

With any luck I'm looking to have a decent rifle put together in the very near future. It has to be good for 800 yds, use standard available brass and be capable of mag feed from a donor R700 action.

Initial discussions have leaned towards 6br. Is this a wise choice? Does it feed well from AICS mags?

Any suggestions on barrel length/profile, 2 stage trigger and other help would be much appreciated.

a friend runs a 6br based on a howa action and he had to extensively alter the aics mags to get it to feed properly .

any of the short action cartridges are good to 800yds 260/7-08/308 , 243 in a pinch unless you are building a fast twist gun then 243 throwing 105 amax or 115 d-tacs is apparently the nuts!

For reliable feeding and readily available brass the .243 is hard to beat. I've shot my 1:10 out to 1000 (with 90gr Scenars) and the next barrel will be a fast twist to stabilise the 115's. The .243 is incredibly versatile and correctly built will shoot as good as anything I'm sure. I'm not so sure the 6mm BR will have the same legs for long range though the ones I've seen have been ultra accurate at short range.

All the posts make good points-you can get some direct detailed comparisons on Accurate Shooter website-one thing to bear in mind is that some comparisons aren't quite apples to apples-but then again,uses and targets vary too-as ever,the right tool varies a bit with the job description.

Gbal

There are better choices for a fast "6"

6x 47 is good.

6xc is exceptional. i say this after chambering my own Tubb with a new barrel in it. Astounding accuracy at 100 yards. A friend has had a 4" group at 1000 with his. better barrel life than a 243 due to the shoulder angle , and feeds for fun.

FWIW I think the 115 is overrated. A 1 in 8" twist will let you shoot everything up to and including a 107 grainer......fast.

6x 47 is good.

6xc is exceptional. i say this after chambering my own Tubb with a new barrel in it. Astounding accuracy at 100 yards. A friend has had a 4" group at 1000 with his. better barrel life than a 243 due to the shoulder angle , and feeds for fun.

FWIW I think the 115 is overrated. A 1 in 8" twist will let you shoot everything up to and including a 107 grainer......fast.

I was going to ask you about the 6xc as I remember you talking about it, seems a good alternative. I've got too much brass etc for .243 to swap to something else.

I'd want to have a play with the 115's but in reality the 105 scenars or 107 SMK's would do everything I need.

6x 47 is good.

I was going to ask you about the 6xc as I remember you talking about it, seems a good alternative. I've got too much brass etc for .243 to swap to something else.

I'd want to have a play with the 115's but in reality the 105 scenars or 107 SMK's would do everything I need.

David Tubb favours the 107 SMKs in his 6xc according to this article - http://www.davidtubb.com/davidtubb/content/graphics/pdfs/6XC_die_instructions_2012.pdf

read page 4 of the article.

Regards

JCS

The 6SLR wont hold a candle to the 6XC accuracy wise. I have both.

The SLR is what made me indifferent about the 115 Dtac , although it shoots the 105 and 107 bullets well enough.

The 6xc is one of "those " cartridges... .222 , 6mmBr , 6ppc , 6.5 x 47....inherently accurate cartridges, and all long necked.

Just my 2 cents...

I'd forget the DTACs. The 105 Hybrids have a slightly better BC, are much more forgiving on seating depth and don't require the extreme twist.

My 6x47 should be all go this week, assuming the rings have arrived. Hopefully it'll shoot as well as expected.

The 6SLR wont hold a candle to the 6XC accuracy wise. I have both.

The SLR is what made me indifferent about the 115 Dtac , although it shoots the 105 and 107 bullets well enough.

The 6xc is one of "those " cartridges... .222 , 6mmBr , 6ppc , 6.5 x 47....inherently accurate cartridges, and all long necked.

Just my 2 cents...

And he should know ;)

LAURIE HOLLAND-shot his 6XC on saturday at diggle in the 600yd br comp he shot 4 groups [5shots]and all 4 groups were under 2.75ins -not bad really ;) for an old duffer :P i think he will read this and confirm his groups sizes[or maybe vince will]

I have very little experience with fullbore rifles so it has to be easy to reload for. I am not after the most fashionable whizz bang calibre but something that has off the shelf brass and a good selection of bullets. For a first decent rifle it will out shoot me at least until a rebarrel and beyond.

243 sounds good and I thought about a 260 previously. What about barrel length and is fluting worthwhile or just an added expense for little gain?

I have very little experience with fullbore rifles so it has to be easy to reload for. I am not after the most fashionable whizz bang calibre but something that has off the shelf brass and a good selection of bullets. For a first decent rifle it will out shoot me at least until a rebarrel and beyond.

243 sounds good and I thought about a 260 previously. What about barrel length and is fluting worthwhile or just an added expense for little gain?

Ok in light of this post I would recommend a heavy barrelled 308 , fluting is not needed , a well put together 308 will be superb for your requirements , I favour shorter barrels 20-22" personally in a 308.

LAURIE HOLLAND-shot his 6XC on saturday at diggle in the 600yd br comp he shot 4 groups [5shots]and all 4 groups were under 2.75ins -not bad really ;) for an old duffer :P i think he will read this and confirm his groups sizes[or maybe vince will]

Yes - results are on the UKBRA website www.freewebs.com/ukbra - under 'News, links & competitions'.

Just to throw in my two-penn'th - the 6 x47, 6XC or even the SMAck I'm playing with at the moment seem to represent the right balance of case-capacity to bullet weight for a 6mm. Yes, the 6-284 is the ultimate but it's too heavy on barrels and the 243Ack won't get you any more than the 6XC.

The 6x47 is the easiest option - excellent dies from Forster, one pass to neck down the 6.5x47 case - 3200fps with a 105gn bullet.

Alot of good posts and informed information here; quite refreshing to see on a forum these days!

I think the issue with the fast sixes is there are so many covering the same ground. 6x47, 6XC, .243", .243AckImp (my current pet calibre if I'm honest), all seem to be able to knock out a 105grn bullet at round about 3100fps + depending on your needs. There's a good case (no pun intended) for the humble .243" here in that brass is easy to get, ready to load, and it'll feed from an AI mag.

I'll admit to being interested in Baldie's comments about the 6XC as I know exactly what he means about "those" cartridges. Some just seem to be inherently accurate.

Hopefully that's confused you further! F**k it, get a .243AckImp, get 105s doing 3273fps and keep the guntrade alive buying barrels!

6XC? Yes, I'm rather (!!!) pleased with my 600 yard groups from last Saturday. That was with 107gn Sierra MKs at a little over 3,100 fps.

There really are more good cartridges out there than you can shake a stick at which will also feed well from a magazine. 6.5X47mm Lapua has to be one considered that will also give a longer barrel life than the sixes in the 6X47L, 6XC / 6mm SMACK / 243 Win category.

I still have a soft spot for .243 Win, but I'm not sure I'd build a custom rifle in it with my shooting needs. I think I'd go for .260 Rem or 7mm-08 Rem if choosing a design based on the same (.308 Win) case, and for people looking for a dual-purpose range / deer rifle, they're ideal. However, if foxes, crows etc enter the mix, the sixes probably offer more options and a much larger choice of suitable bullets.

6XC? Yes, I'm rather (!!!) pleased with my 600 yard groups from last Saturday. That was with 107gn Sierra MKs at a little over 3,100 fps.

There really are more good cartridges out there than you can shake a stick at which will also feed well from a magazine. 6.5X47mm Lapua has to be one considered that will also give a longer barrel life than the sixes in the 6X47L, 6XC / 6mm SMACK / 243 Win category.

I still have a soft spot for .243 Win, but I'm not sure I'd build a custom rifle in it with my shooting needs. I think I'd go for .260 Rem or 7mm-08 Rem if choosing a design based on the same (.308 Win) case, and for people looking for a dual-purpose range / deer rifle, they're ideal. However, if foxes, crows etc enter the mix, the sixes probably offer more options and a much larger choice of suitable bullets.

What powder in the 6XC Laurie?

Archived