Which scope

tealo

Well got a stainless varmint .223 1 in 8 twist T3 to pick up Tuesday. Thanks for the help in deciding lads much appreciated. Now I've just got to stick something on the top. Is there anything to beat the kahles 624i for the money? Really like the kahles [mil 4] and the nightforce (np2dd) reticles but not too sure about the Ziess's for long range varminting? How does it stand up to the Ziess 6-24 for light gathering? I know there's a lot of questions but thought I'd get um all in one post.

Tealo

Well got a stainless varmint .223 1 in 8 twist T3 to pick up Tuesday. Thanks for the help in deciding lads much appreciated. Now I've just got to stick something on the top. Is there anything to beat the kahles 624i for the money? Really like the kahles [mil 4] and the nightforce (np2dd) reticles but not too sure about the Ziess's for long range varminting? How does it stand up to the Ziess 6-24 for light gathering? I know there's a lot of questions but thought I'd get um all in one post.

Tealo

Night Force are rubbish for light gathering compared to Zeiss. I ran one for about two years before getting the Zeiss 6-24x56. I use one for long range varminting and one for clear fell work for deer control in a problem area I look after. For me it is the best out there.

I tried hard to like the Scmidt and even had two over the years. For the money I thought they were lacking. As for the PM2...I thought it was like looking through a bit of drain pipe. I was so disappointed because I really wanted to buy one but I couldn't part with the cash for such a poor picture.

I liked the Swarovski and have had several. The ret choice was it's downfall IMHO. They have a thing about not producing military style reticles on principle. For what you are looking for a good Mil or MOR ret would make your life easier. The TDS is ok for ball park work, but not accurate enough for varminting at range.

ATB

Zeiss 6-24x56 - up to my Swaro 8.5x42 binos for last light performance and even under moonlight on foxes.....shot 3 cubs the other week on a stubble field with just the light pollution from Luton reflected off the clouds :) (some would say the only useful thing that ever came out of Luton :P )

In my eyes it's better than my Swaro 2.5-15x56 Z6i - re-fitted that to my .17Rem the other week just to compare and think I'll keep my eyes open for another Zeiss.

I've also got a x72.... now that is a bit of kit - and a bit of a lump so it's on the 'big' (heavy) rifle. :)

Cheers

Fizz

Well nightforce are out as the glass aint up to much and the swaro's are about £300 more for the same spec so I think there a bit over priced. I've got it down to two either the kahles 624i or the Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24x56 T* FL IR. Has anyone put the two against each other or seen through or used both.

You clearly haven't looked through an ATACR Nightforce if you think their optics aren't up to it, and before you decry this, I'll say I have two NXSs and a Swarovski and know what you mean. The 5-25 ATACR might be a bit huge for your .223 though

I had my heart set on the kahles but hearing some bad reports on them.. Ziess is in the lead at the moment, the only thing I'm not sure about the Ziess is the reticle for 600 yards plus. Would love to look through both scopes but my local shops don't stock them, I'm just relying on the people in the know.

What are the bad reports you have heard regarding the kahles?

Be aware that there is a generation 2 k624i.

The Zeiss have .5 turrets that is pretty course for precision shooting.

Had a chap tell me he wasn't happy with his and sounded very unhappy with the clarity and definition of picture through his compared to his pm2. Are the ones sold at Uttings gen 1 or 2, I'l probably buy from them just not sure which one. Kahles do look cool though......

What are the bad reports you have heard regarding the kahles?

Be aware that there is a generation 2 k624i.

The Zeiss have .5 turrets that is pretty course for precision shooting.

Sorry mate I think you might be confused. The K624i has a click adjustment of 1cm @100m.

(Just looked on their web site) The Zeiss is .5cm@ 100m. That's a finer adjustment by anyone's understanding.

ATB

I had my heart set on the kahles but hearing some bad reports on them.. Ziess is in the lead at the moment, the only thing I'm not sure about the Ziess is the reticle for 600 yards plus. Would love to look through both scopes but my local shops don't stock them, I'm just relying on the people in the know.

My 6-24x56's have got both elevation and windage turrets and the 63 Ret if your on 12x and know your ranges (ie as per the solid dot 43 but little circles instead and no longer available as they're considered to be "too military"). The ret is fine enough for distance work and I've happily used it lamping at night....... although the single dot 60 is a bit easier to see past at night.

There's a x56 on SD - currently on a rifle but he has listed a price for it..... billy bargain at £1300 : http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/73157-Blaser-R93-300-win-mag-package!

I've got the 60ret in my x72 "Hubble", that came with just the elevation turret and a cap on the windage but they are upgradeable by Zeiss UK in Cambridge - possibly still 'while you wait' if you're close enough.

As it happens there's also a 72 on SD at £1600... current retail around £2600? http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/73298-Zeiss-victory-6x24x72

My x56's aren't the FL glass but the x72 is..... can't say I've noticed the difference.

's me,

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

massive fan of the victory scopes. i have had some top scopes and even shot rifles with some top branded scopes on them which mates own. the nightforce no matter how well built they are. and offer superb retsd. but the glass in them is poor compared to the zeiss s&b and swaro scopes.

my ziess is the 6x24x56 none fl glass. target and windage turret with 0.5 cm clicks. my ret is the 43 ir mildot and its spot on in day or lamp conditions

the mildots are just the right size. small enough not to targets at longer range. but not to small you lose them under lamp.

the 63 ret is great ive looked through one. if i was after one that would be my 1st choice. the hollow mildots are perfect.

my shooting mate has the same scope but the fl model and his is 60 ret. now i cant tell the difference in the glass from his to mine. what i can tell you is i prefer the older model. it has finer clicks. and you don't have to pay extra for a target windage turret on a scope what is already high price.

the 60 ret is great foxing ret but it does look a little thick once you have been using the mildot one.

look for the older model if i where you. secondhand at £1300 is a lot of scope for the money. looked throught the khales and well its superbly built and great features im not keen on the limited rets they offer

Glass formular and bigger mag ring I believe.

I have a gen 2 DTA that when you come to look at Bergans you can have a look through

Well I don't know, I haven't spent my money yet. Just read through the posts again and they are pointing me in the Ziess direction. I'm still hung up on the Kahles though. My last question before I put my short arms in my long pockets is whether anyone has put the Kahles against the Ziess in low light conditions. If the Kahles is on par or very close with the Ziess I'll get one if not I'll put my head before my heart and get the Ziess.

Thanks for all the help lads, this is a lot of money to spend and I'm thankful for your help and any comments.

Cheers tealo

Well, I sold my Victory Diavari two years ago, telling myself it was more scope than I needed. One of the worst decisions I've ever arrived at as I've missed it ever since.

So, just bought another. First one was a 43. This one's a 63. Happy bunny now.

George

Right that's it Kahles is out Ziess is in.... Thanks everyone..... I have one and final question 43i or 60i, it will be used for varmints out to 5-600 yards to start and then further if I can but also must be good under a lamp for Charles... Last question on the matter I promise...

Right that's it Kahles is out Ziess is in.... Thanks everyone..... I have one and final question 43i or 60i, it will be used for varmints out to 5-600 yards to start and then further if I can but also must be good under a lamp for Charles... Last question on the matter I promise...

Get the 43 ret mate. The midots ar smaller then the 60 single dot ret. Great lamping ret also

Archived