CSR Introductory Course 2 Nov 13

John MH

Peter Cottrell ( Head of Shooting and Competitions at the NRA) has put a course together to introduce newcomers to the wonderful discipline of Civilian Service Rifle shooting.

Link here

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/Calendar/events.asp?site=NRA&id=3305

NRA INTRODUCTION TO CIVILIAN SERVICE RIFLE COURSE - 2 NOVEMBER 2013

AIM

The Introduction to Civilian Service Rifle (CSR) Course will provide the fundamental skills for taking part in CSR, including individual coaching of positional shooting techniques. The course is open to all NRA members including those who do not currently hold an FAC or possess the appropriate firearm, but have successfully completed the required probationary course. Non NRA members can attend providing they possess the appropriate firearm and pay the additional course fee.

The course will involve both classroom and practical range work.

COURSE FEE

The course fee is £45 which includes range fees, targets, scorebook and individual coaching. Ammunition and firearms are not included and attendees are expected to bring their own.

Those not yet in possession of a firearm can hire an AR-15 type rifle from the NRA Armoury and purchase ammunition upon production of their NRA membership card and Shooter Certification Card.

DRESS AND EQUIPMENT

Attendees should bring warm and weatherproof clothing and appropriate footwear in case of inclement weather. You will need:

Ear defenders

Firearm

Approximately 110 rds ammunition

Normal shooting equipment

Notebook and pencil

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

Tea and coffee will be available during the classroom sessions of the course at no extra charge. Please make your own arrangements for lunch.

ACCOMMODATION

Accommodation is available onsite; for further details and to book can now be done online from our home page http://www.nra.org.uk under the heading of bookings.

CONTACT DETAILS

If you need to contact a member of the NRA team prior to the course beginning on Saturday please contact Peter Cottrell on: 01483 797777 Ext 148.

PROGRAMME

The outline programme for the course is shown below:

Time Activity Location

08.00 Assemble at the NRA Training Centre located in HAC Trg Room

the HAC Building marked 43 on the enclosed map.

08.15-09.00 CSR Classes; types of firearms, events, Winter League, HAC Trg Room

Imperial, Clubs, kit and equipment.

09.00-10.15 Revise Principles of Marksmanship, positional HAC Trg Room

techniques, dry firing/practice.

10.15-10.30 Break. HAC Trg Room

10.30-10.45 Move to Range. Short Siberia

10.45-12.30 Zero 100x, application of fire, grouping practice

from Standing, Kneeling, Sitting. Short Siberia

12.30-13.15 Lunch. Own arrangements

13.20-16.00 200x/300x application of fire and match practice Century Range

16.15 Depart.

There's a match the next day, so it could all be combined into a weekend of good shooting. Although not yet confirmed there may be a possibility of getting a SSC granted on successful completion of the course if you reach the required standard.

Just had it confirmed that if you attend and reach the required standard you can be issued with a SSC card that will allow you to shoot on MoD Ranges and Bisley with that class of firearm. Worthwhile doing just for the SSC so no more excuses as to why you can't take part.

• 1 month later...

Joining instructions here

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/Calendar/events.asp?site=NRA&id=3305

CSR is fast becoming the template for all the other shooting disciplines at Bisley.

Despite being laughed at and mocked (even by some on here) especially by the old guard, it proves itself time and again to be the fastest growing and possibly best attended of the disciplines.

People are now realising that we're not a bunch of camo clad, gun toting Rambo wannabes (well a few might be) but is instead a fun, popular, safe and self managing discipline.

All we ask of the NRA is the range space and we do the rest.

Last weekends match on Century had 83 people. It should've been 88 but due to illness and other family issues some couldn't make it.

But that was for a match in December when the rest of Bisley was scarcely being used.

Jan 5ths match already has 44 confirmed entries and it's only been open for 5 days

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/Calendar/events.asp?site=NRA&id=3306

How we run our competition days and now the introductory days isn't going un noticed by the hierarchy, and other disciplines are taking heed.

Interesting times ahead

Come and join the movement

Well it falls in when I'm at home for a change so going to send in a form today and see if I can get a hire rifle and join in.

Well done to the lads who've made this happen.

Is there any possibility of developing a CSR variant for bolt action rifle?

Years of army shooting doesn't make traditional CSR that appealing to me... however many people I know would be interested in a barricade version of CSR for tactical shooting?

Didnt the chap who won the imperial use an AX?

The only rifle I'll have with a 10 shot mag is a heavy barrelled 300 win mag in an acis no thanks to shooting that standing my other rifles are all floor plates. Easier to rent one if I can, sent the email in so will wait and see hopefully I can arrange attending from the ship. Perversely it's the army shooting that appeals to me with this type of shooting I used to really enjoy the skill at arms comps and live firing exercises if CSR proves to provide some of that excitement I'll be happy. I'd really like to have a crack at 3 gun comp. don't get me wrong I enjoy the long range precision shooting but it takes a different skill set to shoot from multi positions in tight time frames. I have no intention of ever wearing Dpm again or calling anyone sir who isn't knighted but that doesn't mean the shooting format isn't fun?

It doesn't hurt to,have a bash

It doesn't and if you can't rent a gun I'm sure we could rustle one up.

I have 5 AR's in .223 so there'll always be something available

Didnt the chap who won the imperial use an AX?

He won his class and shot very well but as John says, top shot was a chap with an AR, 4x scope and milsurp ammo.

It's not the rifle, simply years and years of range shooting that killed it for me.

CSR is no doubt a very enjoyable and rewarding shoot for many

Don't judge until you try it, we have several ex Mil Queens Medallists taking parts now who have said they enjoy our stuff more because it's more relaxed....and you don't have to wear a helmet and webbing.........unless you want to :P

It's not the rifle, simply years and years of range shooting that killed it for me.

CSR is no doubt a very enjoyable and rewarding shoot for many

I'm of the same view, but I had a bash and was surprised to find that I enjoyed it,,,,,,,,,,,,,would have enjoyed it more if there was no butts time; that was like being back at RMAS , less for the fact that we didn't have to keep doubling from the firing point to the butts to check targets :rolleyes::lol:

I'm of the same view, but I had a bash and was surprised to find that I enjoyed it,,,,,,,,,,,,,would have enjoyed it more if there was no butts time; that was like being back at RMAS , less for the fact that we didn't have to keep doubling from the firing point to the butts to check targets :rolleyes::lol:

Well the story goes that while you were in the butts you were observed as to not having a clue what you were doing :lol:

Anyway, the match you shot last year has been rewritten and should be even more enjoyable and challenging next year.

In the mean time, there's still 4 dates left in the season, so you have no excuses for not taking part

Anyway, the match you shot last year has been rewritten and should be even more enjoyable and challenging next year.

In the mean time, there's still 4 dates left in the season, so you have no excuses for not taking part

I'm a bit gunless at the mo. ....what are the dates?

Yep that's me booking in and a form and grubbing off to the NRA but of an arse to scan all the forms and the ships 3 mg attachment limit but I'll be impressed if it all gets sortd form th 5 seperate emails and attachments without a hitch.

Quick question, with the hire guns etc do you need to have the calibre on your ticket to buy the rounds or will they sell you them just for the course?

I attended the first course....BRILL !!!

I hired an AR and bought the ammo without it being on my ticket....BUT BEWARE.....like me you will probably enjoy it so much that you will go straight back and put in for a variation!!!!

Archived