A year with an LMT 308

TSG

A year with a LMT 308

This is a bit of a ramble!

As some of you may know I purchased a 16 inch barrel LMT 308 rifle in 2012. As an impulse buy, based upon shooting the section 5 version during a three way trial between the LMT, HK 417 and the FN SCAR for a work project I found myself provisionally the owner of the LMT as well as an AI AWP and a Jordanian contract TRG 22. Something had to go, and a sniper friend from Norway was after an AI so that was what happened.

After a quick variation, the LMT turned up at my dealers. He was reluctant to have it on the premises, based upon the fact that no walnut was used in it production, the only engraving was numerical or the QR code on the side of it. Quite how this ugly plastic thing could be used for anything worthwhile was beyond him.

I collected it and left, taking with me an old 4 x 32 ACOG that he had lying about, making a mental note to ensure I took the LMT when out stalking with him. I got home and put it straight away, pausing to take the bolt out for separate storage. Easy job but do not loose the firing pin!

After a couple of days thinking time I decided the ACOG was not up to the task. I like the ACOGs to a point but my initial idea was to replicate the LMT sharpshooter Rifle and was hoping to acquire the appropriate ACOG sight. This fell on very stony ground with Beechwood Equipment (ITAR). I used the AI mount and PM11 From the AWP, collimated and it was just about right straight away. Eye relief was critical when combined with the charging handle and stock length. The charging handle was only designed for initial charging but on a straight pull you needed it all the time or as I later discovered a Mark Bradley conversion (more of this later)

Test firing was now a requirement. I already had a load using 155 Palma bullets that the TRG liked but the AI did not. The COL fitted the supplied P mag so I had a go with it on the zero range at Bisley. BSRC were highly impressed. No accuracy problems but the sight was too far forward and the charging handle was very close to my nose! The sight was a quick fix, the charging handle required a bit more thought. No failures to extract but I was going to have to consider a slightly longer stock and some charging handle options.

Moved on to 100 metres/ yards for further zeroing and data collection for building tables. At this range the load grouped into about 3/4 inch and the velocity was a slow 2300 FPS. Screwing on a TRG muzzle brake or the SL7 suppressor did not really change this. A corresponding load using a 180 grain ballistic tip grouped slightly with no zero change at 100.

Job done then, and with no lack of enthusiasm I took it out and shot a couple of Fallow prickets from a hide. Range to target was around 80 metres, no jams on reloading. Not sure about using it for walking and stalking so relegated to ambush only.

The charging handle was intriguing me further. A quick call to the suppliers got me a spare. Having looked at the available options I extended the left hand side catch using a Badger Ordnance tactical latch supplied by Graeme at Sporting Services. It worked but what I really needed was something on the right hand side of the handle.

I had in mind some sort of toggle arrangement similar to the lynx rifle but suspected that this was likely to be a non starter. Something that cammed on the rear of the action would possibly work but it was all a bit hit and miss involving lots of cutting card for templates with no real hope of it working.

In the end I had the charging handle threaded and fitted an anchutz bolt knob in red aluminium which gave sufficient leverage and was not too big. More of this later.

The next shooting task was to assess the rifle at distance with a long term goal of using it in the McQueen competition at the imperial meeting. A quiet morning on Century range solved this. My normal procedure is 10 rounds plotted shots to establish a true elevation setting, followed by a 10 round group to establish the ESA. Good results at 200,300 and 400 with elevation settings within a click or two of what the IPhone app was telling me.

Accuracy was ok, the best being an 88 mm group at 400.

Satisfied with this result I chipped up at the McQueen range at the Imperial. The LMT was fitted with a Sniper Systems bipod on a Picatinny converter. It was a bit warm and of course no sniper worth his salt turns up with a mat or elbow protection. I was in the middle with some 18 yr old bird next to me using her granddad's 6.5 x 47 lined up on front and rear bags and another bloke shooting the supplied sniper option. Two sighters, not bad with some adjustment for elevation then it started. 6 good shots, all of which were v5s then it all went wrong. First jam, cleared with a default tap, rack. Second not so. 9 shots fired altogether, with 38 scored. She got 50.3.

The jams were down to the extended handle unraveling itself. More work needed here. Stock was too short!

Conclusions.

It's well made.

No hard extractions with my loads

It is capable of the same accuracy as an AW 308

It's a great stalking rifle as long as you are careful where you are seen

Trigger is very good

Reliability is better if Mark Bradbury mucks about with it. Essential for CSR but not perhaps for precision shooting.

The stock is too short for me so in the prone so SAPR extension ordered from Rainer Arms

Defence Mechanisms provide a very good backup service

Optional calibre change to 308 based cases. 260 looks attractive with a 22 inch barrel

Use a jacket to protect elbows!

I have some photos if you are interested.

TSG,

Interesting read - thanks! John MH kindly let me put 5 rds through his 5.56 straightpull with one of Mark's handles yesterday. First time I'd fired one; always been rather biased against them - carried a Diemaco for 2 years at work and this has rather led me to perceive straight pulls as something akin to an M16/AR that's been built to fail to function on every shot........have to say, I was a lot more taken with John's rifle than I expected - very nice!

TSG,

Interesting read - thanks! John MH kindly let me put 5 rds through his 5.56 straightpull with one of Mark's handles yesterday. First time I'd fired one; always been rather biased against them - carried a Diemaco for 2 years at work and this has rather led me to perceive straight pulls as something akin to an M16/AR that's been built to fail to function on every shot........have to say, I was a lot more taken with John's rifle than I expected - very nice!

Been saying this for ages

• 9 months later...

Having had no comeback from my wanted add :(

Had a long chat to the guy that imports LMT's , nice chap, got a stock of them on the self ,which makes a nice change!

can do 308/260/47 etc, side cocking conversion the full bit really, just waiting for one of my rifles to be collected then will order one ,

any more feed back from owners ???

I suppose I should put up a picture of the stock modification and ludicrous red dot piggyback sight. It has not been out to play very much but, I am still resisting the temptation to have Mr Bradley's conversion. Perhaps a trigger release option!!!!

I suppose I should put up a picture of the stock modification and ludicrous red dot piggyback sight. It has not been out to play very much but, I am still resisting the temptation to have Mr Bradley's conversion. Perhaps a trigger release option!!!!

Ask him about the new trigger release system :)

Archived