6x47L or .243 with 115gn?

walkabout

I was ready to build a 6x47L rifle to be used for 100 to 600 yards, off a bench and prone for target shooting.

The idea was to use 115gn Dtacs or Bergers.

But I cannot get a 1-7.5" twist cut barrel anywhere, but I can get 1-8".

I believe a 1-8" twist could be marginal unless it's a "true" 1-8" twist which means a cut not button made barrel.

But would going to a .243win with a bigger case and been able to push the velocity a bit more, have a better chance of stabilising 115's in a 1-8"?

I have read that some people can get them to stabilise in a "true"1-8"?

Or should I give up on the 115's and stick to slightly lighter bullets and loose a bit of BC?

Elwood has a 7.5 twist 6mm barrel for sale and a bag full of Dtacs , Ive used 105 grn hybreds in SLR with great results out of a 8twist barrel plus they have a better BC than Dtacs

I was ready to build a 6x47L rifle to be used for 100 to 600 yards, off a bench and prone for target shooting.

The idea was to use 115gn Dtacs or Bergers.

But I cannot get a 1-7.5" twist cut barrel anywhere, but I can get 1-8".

I believe a 1-8" twist could be marginal unless it's a "true" 1-8" twist which means a cut not button made barrel.

But would going to a .243win with a bigger case and been able to push the velocity a bit more, have a better chance of stabilising 115's in a 1-8"?

I have read that some people can get them to stabilise in a "true"1-8"?

Or should I give up on the 115's and stick to slightly lighter bullets and loose a bit of BC?

I've used 115DTACs in a 243AI - as long as you can get 3200fps they will be OK in a 1 in 8 barrel. Having said that, for 100 - 600 yds, my choice would be the 105 or 108gn Berger. The 115s were for 1000yd benchrest.

With the reduced velocities, there is little or no benefit in using DTACs with the smaller 6mm cartridges. The bullets just don't have enough extra BC value over the better 105s to make their use worthwhile - and that was before the new Berger Hybrid appeared which may well have a higher BC than the heavier DTAC.

My 6XC with a 1-8" bartlein 5R will apparently stabilise them, but I get smaller groups with 105gn VLDs and the 107gn Sierra MK.

John Whidden (of Whidden Gunworks fame) uses the 243 with great success in US any calibre long-range prone shooting and I wondered if he uses 115s. I knew his ammo was discussed on the AccuraeShooter Daily Bulletin some time back and eventually found it. Interestingly, even with the 243 case, he uses moly'd Berger 105gn VLDs in Broughton 5C (canted land) barrels and pushes them out at 3,300 fps using Viht N160 allied to very light tension and soft-seating.

As an American, and a gunsmith at that, his rebarrelling costs are a mite lower than ours, of course!

There was a reference in the feature to achieving 3,300 fps without bullet failure and that was attributed to moly + 5C rifling. I suspect this issue may be why some American shooters use the failry heavily built DTACs after they reach a particular velocity.

i shoot the 105 hybrids in my 6x47-with a 1-8 barrel getting them to 3230 fps- avg with Elco 17 powder same as Rel17.i did ask about using 115 dtacs but the same answer came back to the twist rate - maybe marginal .so i went with the 105,s.

I am going to jump on the back of this thread. I have a shed load of 115 DTAC'S that I intend to shoot through a .243 so this thread has been useful. It looks likes 1-7.5 is the only way to be sure of stabilising them.

I want a button rifled barrel because I am tight, I also have a border and Pac Nor barrel both button rifled and couldn't justify the extra expense.

At the minute I can only find Pac Nor that do button rifled 1-7.5 twist. Cost is around £360. Can any one point me in the direction of other barrel manufacturers who can supply the same?

I shoot 6x47 lap in f-class for under 800 yds it's really accurate

I use 7.5 twist bartlein with d-tacs and 115 vlds get 3000 fps with 30 inch tube it's the most accurate rifle I own stick with a 1-7.5 twist for 115s

I shoot 6x47 lap in f-class for under 800 yds it's really accurate

I use 7.5 twist bartlein with d-tacs and 115 vlds get 3000 fps with 30 inch tube it's the most accurate rifle I own stick with a 1-7.5 twist for 115s

what powder/primer are you using for that load?

Cci 450 primers

H4350 38 grns shoots single digits spreads and one hole groups

Thanks Taylor-i didnt get round to using h4350 i have a 1/2 tub so maybe give it a whirl i use the cci 450 they kept the ES down better than any other primer..

Archived