AW follower in AICS magazine.

brown dog

A mad thought that occurred to me today:

Don't have any AICS mags on-hand.

Basing this question on my understanding that AW mags and AICS mags have the same external dimensions:

Anyone ever tried putting an AW follower into an AICS mag?

If it fits, does it increase capacity a la alpha double stack into single stack?

I am not convinced they will fit. In the stylee of Jordan, the AI AW seems wider at the lips. (You chose which end of Jordan). I have a spare 10 round AICS if you want to borrow it!

i am about to order (hopefully either an aw or ai ) this week is there any other bits and bobs i need to oder that are essential?

I sold mine, but it was very good. I just preferred the LMT. I am a bit dubious about the factory fitted Picattiny rail and all of the work rifles that had the butt spike thingy eventually broke and needed a repair. Bore guide is worthwhile, and I like AI mounts. I have only ever used 20 inch barrels but it does depend how far you want to shoot it. The only other thing that broke, were two safety catches that fractured on the lever. Assuming you are shooting 308 or similar no problem but if you are buying a 338 I would get a spare barrel and a change kit! The Zulu lady might have a comment!

You can have a 5rd ,308W magazine converted to a 5rd .223 magazine but they're quite expensive!

Back to the original question - I agree with TSG. The AW magazine is double stack, double feed. The AICS magazines are staggered stack, single feed. The 10rd AICS magazine is also considerably longer than the AW magazine. You'd have to try and squeeze the follower into a 5rd magazine but I don't think it'd work!

Back to the original question - I agree with TSG. The AW magazine is double stack, double feed. The AICS magazines are staggered stack, single feed. The 10rd AICS magazine is also considerably longer than the AW magazine. You'd have to try and squeeze the follower into a 5rd magazine but I don't think it'd work!

Double stack tapering to single stack is extremely common in the magazine 'world' -for eg, look at just about any smg magazine; and that's all the alpha mags are doing ; but it's been pointed out to me that the AICS has a 'waist' that means the AW follower will be too fat in the middle - probably to stop this being done.

i am about to order (hopefully either an aw or ai ) this week is there any other bits and bobs i need to oder that are essential?

Hello, I thought you were going to get another Bat?

ATB Phil :-)

Hi Brown Dog. I asked our engineers about your idea and they said it would not work. Although the footprint of the magazine is a similar size, the internals are too different. You would have to modify the platform so much it wouldn't look anything like the original platform, and won't work like the original.

The AICS magazines are double stack single feed, whereas the AW magazines are double stack, staggered feed. I will try and put some photos of the different magazines up.

Hi Brown Dog. I asked our engineers about your idea and they said it would not work. Although the footprint of the magazine is a similar size, the internals are too different. You would have to modify the platform so much it wouldn't look anything like the original platform, and won't work like the original.

The AICS magazines are double stack single feed, whereas the AW magazines are double stack, staggered feed. I will try and put some photos of the different magazines up.

Alice,

Many thanks- yup, the issue is shown in Jame5m’s pic. The ‘waist’ in the AICS mag will stop it from working. I suspect transplanting AICS lips onto an AW mag would work (double funnelling to single) – but not really a practical proposition! Grateful for you taking the time to ask though. :)

Archived