Choosing powder

dannywayoflife

I'm fairly new to hand loading and am really enjoying it. This far I've had a fairly good start developing a load in my 223 using TR140 and the 75 grain Amax. Which shoots .25 moa if I do my part. My only gripe is the fps is pretty low @2660. (I think my barrel while very very accurate is just slow).

So I've been toying with the idea of trying anther powder to increase my fps slightly so I don't get blown about quite so much. Now I want to stay clear of US brands for obvious reasons of supply. So I'm looking at the easier to get European powders. I've seen that lovex SO62 has a burn rate that's similar to accurate 4064 but people say its too slow for the 223 but according to the powder burn rate charts I've down loaded its faster than my TR140 and is very similar to varget. Would this be a good powder to try as I only use very heavy for calibre bullets ie 75gr +.

Thanks

Danny

I shoot 69gr SMK's and my go to load is 26.4 gr Viht N140. This is a max load and produces over 3100 fps. I understand that TR 140 performs in an almost identical way to n140 - however I've not as yet done any back to back tests. N140 certainly does the job for me, it might be worth a go perhaps? Also could there be another accuracy node lurking with a higher charge weight for you to discover?

Yes I know he's going to import a few more powders. A RL15 clone is one of them I believe. I'm picking up some ramshot wildbore on Saturday to try.

Jagged I'm using 25.2 grains at the mo that's just about compressed the bullet just touches the powder when seating. I am going to try some longer col's with a slightly higher charge as I'm still under book max. I'm just amazed that I'm not getting more speed with my current charge I'm well under what others are getting some with lighter charges ;(

Yes I know he's going to import a few more powders. A RL15 clone is one of them I believe. I'm picking up some ramshot wildbore on Saturday to try.

Jagged I'm using 25.2 grains at the mo that's just about compressed the bullet just touches the powder when seating. I am going to try some longer col's with a slightly higher charge as I'm still under book max. I'm just amazed that I'm not getting more speed with my current charge I'm well under what others are getting some with lighter charges ;(

i read alliants page the other day and they have a powder, 2000mr which shows really good fps with 75gr Amax, its worth a look......http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=31&cartridge=46

I'm using 25.1 gns of N140 with a 69gn Match king and getting 3120 fps from my .223 with a 26" barrel. What length barrel do you have?

Oh my!! That's very very fast! Only bad thing is as its a yank brand it's likely to be Over priced and hard to find. Ill keep my eyes open for some though as that stuff really is moving that bullet!!! ;)

I would suggest you go to the nearest dealer that has Quickload and get a list of the best powders for the job then choose the one that he has the most reliable supply of.

I use 80gr Bergers and Varget to great effect. I get 2850 which is still just supersonic at 1000yds Fortunately I have a good stock, though Dauntsey Guns in Wiltshire are getting a batch in shortly.

Rup

Non of the dealers around me have quick load. I'm very pleased with the accuracy but would like to be able to stretch the range slightly more than ill be able with current speeds. Ill try adding a few more tenths of a grain and longer col as I've plenty of room to the lands. And I'll see how this ramshot wildbore goes.

I'd like to try varget but its silly money and like rocking horse poo. Ideally I'd like to use a powder that's a reasonable cost and easy to get hold of. Hence trying the wildbore. The ramshot big game seems to be the same burn rate as RL15 so that might be worth a try or is there more to choosing a power than burn rate alone?

I'm fairly new to hand loading and am really enjoying it. This far I've had a fairly good start developing a load in my 223 using TR140 and the 75 grain Amax. Which shoots .25 moa if I do my part. My only gripe is the fps is pretty low @2660. (I think my barrel while very very accurate is just slow).

So I've been toying with the idea of trying anther powder to increase my fps slightly so I don't get blown about quite so much. Now I want to stay clear of US brands for obvious reasons of supply. So I'm looking at the easier to get European powders. I've seen that lovex SO62 has a burn rate that's similar to accurate 4064 but people say its too slow for the 223 but according to the powder burn rate charts I've down loaded its faster than my TR140 and is very similar to varget. Would this be a good powder to try as I only use very heavy for calibre bullets ie 75gr +.

Thanks

Danny

How much more velocity are you planning on getting? I'm curious because I'm planning on a 1 - 7:5" twist build in the future.~Andrew

Andrew I'd like 2850 but would be happy with 2800 that would easily keep me super sonic at 800 wouldn't quite be enough for 1000 but then ill try some higher BC bullets for that range

Andrew I'd like 2850 but would be happy with 2800 that would easily keep me super sonic at 800 wouldn't quite be enough for 1000 but then ill try some higher BC bullets for that range

If you want to be at all competitive,or avoid embarrassment ,at 1000,with a 223,you will need something of the order of 90 g BC .5,at close to 3300.

A tough ask.

I'm not too fussed about being "competitive" mate. The 80 grain jlk has a BC over .5 ;)

The figures are for a wind deflection of six feet in 10mph breeze.

You will need to up the MV for the 80 g

What do you expect to hit...an 8x8 foot target ,perhaps even the black bit sometimes....?

If you can,check back on the detailed account by the one very savvy UK shooter who has tried this,with some success,but doesn't anymore...Laurie on here.Otherwise you will be reinventing a not very round wheel,I rather fear.

Good luck and enjoy,but be realistic too...

Gbal

well i just picked up some reloader 15 yesterday £39 off me mate and some 75 amax i left with him, so when ive finished with my 55gr i will start to load the 75s, but i am hoping to get. some where in the 2900 fps or id like to get as near as 3000fps as poss, 22" barrel 1:8 t3

what's your COL compared to theres ? just out of interest . and are you close to lands etc? just using TAC an it seems promising , cheers

well i just picked up some reloader 15 yesterday £39 off me mate and some 75 amax i left with him, so when ive finished with my 55gr i will start to load the 75s, but i am hoping to get. some where in the 2900 fps or id like to get as near as 3000fps as poss, 22" barrel 1:8 t3

You will struggle to get much over 2800fps with 75 grain bullets out of a 22 inch barrel. Maybe 2900 tops depending on youre freebore.

Im using varget at 25 grains with a slightly compressed load with one hole accuracy but a mild 2800.

This is still better than any 55 grain load in 223.

You will struggle to get much over 2800fps with 75 grain bullets out of a 22 inch barrel. Maybe 2900 tops depending on youre freebore.

Im using varget at 25 grains with a slightly compressed load with one hole accuracy but a mild 2800.

This is still better than any 55 grain load in 223.

It certainly is.

And puts the requirements (for good performance at 1000y) into perspective:

90 grain BC .5 at 3270 fps

I don't think that is easily achievable... (75g are BC .39)..22 inch barrel won't help,but.....

Gbal

I'm using a German chassis system on my T3 that uses AI mags. With the converted 308 mags Incan load as long as I want. When I rebarrel the thronging will reflect that and ill probably go with a wylde chamber. ;)

Archived