scope needed for a AI mkIII .260 rem

pwinnall

Hello,

I've taken the plunge and bought a used AI Mk III in .260 rem and need a scope for it.

Well, I have spent out on the AI so looking for a used scope for target and deer stalking.

I've seen a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50, Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mk4 and a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x 56

All are too far to travel to look at.

What make and model would you suggest?

Thanks for you help.

Phil

what about a nice new sightron they take some beating for the money

Hello,

I've taken the plunge and bought a used AI Mk III in .260 rem and need a scope for it.

Well, I have spent out on the AI so looking for a used scope for target and deer stalking.

I've seen a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50, Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mk4 and a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x 56

Thanks for you help.

Phil

I'd go for the nightforce. Good optics, reliable dialling and a good range of magnification to allow for stalking at close range plus target out to 600-800 yards.

Best wishes

Finman

I also think the Night Force is probably the better choice.

I have used one for both stalking and target shooting and they are excellent.

The Night Force is a rugged scope so suits your rifle well lol

The optics on a Leupold are good but I hated the 15 MOA per turn and the fine clicks in comparison to the Night Force.

Cheers

Dave

+1 for nightforce me and my mate have them on most or ower rifles they are mint good class

and repeatable turrets i have just purchased two of the new ATACK R scopes and the glass is even better

good look with what ever you get

cheers stu

All the scopes mentioned,and probably some more,have their merits,though I have not seen the Atack.It's quite a subjective thing.If any in this class don't seem clear enough,consult an opthalmologist (but not in the last few minutes of light before he closes!)

Reticule seems more personal-and maybe use related.There is quite a choice,so put that high on your list,as are dial in convenience-some users do both,others not(eg have mil dots at known likely shooting distances),so your exact mix of priority features can vary.I have Leupolds and NFs,but I would have a very hard look indeed at a scope that cost over twice -or more-the price of a Sightron ,before I bought it in preference to the Sightron,on a price/useable quality basis( or a used Leupold or NF in the right specs).

Gbal

Hello,

Thanks for you help.

Phil

I think its hard to better NF, the cheaper option is Leupold. As for stalking I shouldn't like either the gun or the scopes you suggest for that job, so disregard this as a stalking scope recomendation though each to their own

Thanks Guys!

NightForce it is then.

I can count on one hand the amount of times i'll go stalking so it should be ok.

Just need a Zeiss for my gallery rifle now. Getting a Duralyt 2-8x42 ir for my 10/22.

Thanks again. Phil

Thanks Guys!

NightForce it is then.

I can count on one hand the amount of times i'll go stalking so it should be ok.

Just need a Zeiss for my gallery rifle now. Getting a Duralyt 2-8x42 ir for my 10/22.

Thanks again. Phil[/quote

By all means,though does the 10/22 really deserves the Zeiss.I would not compromise too much on your .260 scope,to fund the 10/22....but NF will be fine...if possible try different magnifications,esp if you intend accuracy shooting at 600+ yards.

Gbal

Hello,

Thanks for you help.

Phil

I'd be going for a Sightron

http://aimfieldsports.com/epages/www_aimfieldsports_com.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_aimfieldsports_com/Products/SIIISS6-24x50LRMOA

Good back up and this model has a very nice ret IMO

Thanks Guys!

NightForce it is then.

Thanks again. Phil[/quote

By all means,though does the 10/22 really deserves the Zeiss.I would not compromise too much on your .260 scope,to fund the 10/22....but NF will be fine...if possible try different magnifications,esp if you intend accuracy shooting at 600+ yards.

Gbal

Hello Gbal,

What mag should I go for on a .260?

And it's not a normal 10/22. I've got a Tony Kidd supergrade built in the states. Superb gun. Plus i'm pretty good at gallery rifle comps so a Zeiss is nessary.

Have a look at the site coolguyguns. I used to do very well at gallery rifle and fancy trying something different and a second hand AE MkIII came up.

Thanks for your advice. Phil

Hello Gbal,

What mag should I go for on a .260?

And it's not a normal 10/22. I've got a Tony Kidd supergrade built in the states. Superb gun. Plus i'm pretty good at gallery rifle comps so a Zeiss is nessary.

Have a look at the site coolguyguns. I used to do very well at gallery rifle and fancy trying something different and a second hand AE MkIII came up.

Thanks for your advice. Phil

Phil,

The appropriate mag rather depends on what you intend to do,to some extent.A 260,esp a tight twist one,is best as a mid to long range rifle-lets say 500 to 1000 yards.For 1000,you need quite a bit of mag- 8x32 or 12x42 NF are popularthat's the kind of variable best suited.Reticule choice is as always personal-some like it simple,maybe just two dots,some like several reference points/mil dots etc.You simply can't have too much mag sometimes at 1000 (see the new March scopes-you may not always be able to use 50+ mag,but it's an option top competition shooters like to have!

If you are not shooting to 1000,less mag will do-I would not go below 15x,though,and would much prefer 20/25x to be available-you also obviously need to consider your targets- if they are relatively large,say gongs or miitary falling men,a precision reticule (fine) is not needed,if you aiming mark is a !/2 moa disc,then you will do better with a reticule that does not obliterate it! You won't see a 1/2 moa disc at 1000 very well without about 25x.

And of course,at these variable distances,dialling in becomes important-so replicability in your clicks really matters-good news is,you won't be shooting in very minimal stalking light,so that is not a consideration.

As ever,horses for courses- the 260 cartridge though is a superb choice.Just what (disciplines?) do you intend to shoot?

Gbal

Hi, That is a very nice scope. I have been looking for a S/H nightforce but I don't think there is any need in going secondhand. At prices like that and a lifetime warranty it is hard to beat. Thanks Phil

Archived