light weight E-Tac target/varmint

We were wondering how light we could get an E-Tac stock which was a great excuse for a new rifle.

I preferred that my son Peter do the lay up on his own, as he is a perfectionist. Total weight of the E-Tac stock including the adjustable cheek and recoil pad is 828 grams (29.25 OZ). We found a Bartlein Barrel with medium Palma contour and left that at 24" as we can always cut it later. Action is standard remmy, lugs lapped, chambered and barrel fitted by Dominic Byrne of Dom's Custom Rifles Ireland. He also Ceracoated Barrel and action. Threading on the muzzle and crown is one of the best I have seen.

Bolt Knob is in solid carbon fibre made by us. Colour is our new "Irish Mix". Rifle still needs bedding.

ULETAC1_zps9eb10442.jpg

ULETAC2_zps33a6ebab.jpg

DSCN7771_zpsdc360789.jpg

5 shot group 168 A-max, 14mm outside to outside. 308 Win

DSC_0005_zps1fbbd451.jpg

edi

Wow thats very light.

Have you changed the texturing slightly?

It might be the light but looks less aggressive than some others of yours I've seen.

Have you weighed the whole rig with mod and Kahles?

How does it balance out with so little weight in the stock and that 24' palma? ( I do like that contour)

Nice work Edi.

I'l be in touch shortly I hope, once my bottom metal turns up. :)

Thanks for the replies so far,

Farmer, in case you didn't get the pm, stock in standard production weight 950 -1100 grams as a Rem SA BDL runs 765,- Euro in carbon fibre as on the pic.

Fitting of mag system is 250 Euro extra (for a provided and bedded mag system.)

Trucraft, the stippling is "fine" in this case, but still very grippy. We can make the stippling none, fine, med, rough.

I'll weigh the rifle in a weeks time when I'm back in Ireland.

edi

Price?

CZ the stock in the pic is an experimental stock. We want to see if such a lightweight stock has any problems over time.

Our production E-Tac stock which would be roughly 200 grams heavier would cost 765,- Euros as mentioned earlier.

The Mag system costs extra.

edi

Looks very good Edi,

For me, i'd bring the barrel back to 20", would then be in keeping with the compact and lightweight nature of the build..

It sure shoots though - unbedded too.

Its good to see more of your stocks coming through at comps, there was a guy at the egg shoot with one of yours.

Ronin, the initial plan was to go 20". Just wanted to shoot at 24 for a while and possibly chop before the hunting season.

We are getting good reports coming back, also from competitions. I thought you won the egg shoot, well done.

edi

Thanks foxer, actually we have had very little enquiries about older Tikka's. So far it would by far not have been worth it to manufacture moulds.

We are planning a mould for an E-Tac with a T3 inlet as we are converting too many E-Tacs for the T3 these days.

edi

.......actually we have had very little enquiries about older Tikka's.

edi

I am surprised. Lots of folks having 590/595s rebarrelled and looking for alternative tactical style stocks. Myself included.

I really like that you are able to keep the centre of gravity high. That must make it a joy to shoot :-)

Thanks gaz6br,

Oaken, the centre of gravity is very important, we are noticing more and more rifles being set up with this in mind. A light rifle

that recoils straight back is a doddle to shoot.

I threw the rifle and a few scopes on the scales today to see what she could be like for hunting.

As she is with her 24" Palma barrel, 10 round mag and Kahles 624i with Badger rings she weighs 5105g / 11.2lbs : without scope 3860 g 8.5lbs

The scopes I weighed all have rings on them, some have scope caps:

Kahles 6-24x 56i 1245 grams

Zenith 3-12x50 FD 888 grams

Klassic 3-12x50 762 grams

Vortex 6-24x50 ill ffp 749 grams

Conquest 6.5-20x50 sfp 667 grams

The ten round mag weighs about 100 grams more than a 5 round mag, and the 21.5mm barrel diameter at the muzzle chopped by 4 "

will reduce weight by another 247 grams.

so... with 5 rnd mag and barrel taken back to 20" rifle alone would be 3515grams or 7.7lbs

In hill hunting set-up with Conquest scope she'd only make 9.2lbs. + the 7 oz moderator.

Overall she will weigh an oz less than my sako hunting rifle with 22" Heavy sporter barrel PSE hunter carbon stock and also a 6.5-20 conquest on top.

edi

Thanks Hales,

yesterday I fired a few rounds and measured speed as I am guessing this Bartlein has a tighter bore.

Didn't get around measuring the twist yet but suspect 1/12 up to 1/14 which means 175gr could be border line?

I only had 5 rounds left of the 175gr that worked well in my Mauser and tried to shoot a group as well as

measure speed. First 4 shot were quite good but the last one I either pulled or it got wobbly?

The 4 shots are on the right and the fifth one left on it's own. Does the fifth one look as if it went through

slightly sideways? I have never had a rifle with stabilizing problems. Speed av was 2662fps.

edi

175NosCM5shot_zps80e3dcbd.jpg

Hi Edi,

definitely not a round hole on the last shot, until i read the text i thought it was 2 shots, so suspect the same as you although a 1in 12 would stabilise that bullet usually, wouldn't it?

Regards

Mike

Hi Edi,

definitely not a round hole on the last shot, until i read the text i thought it was 2 shots, so suspect the same as you although a 1in 12 would stabilise that bullet usually, wouldn't it?

Regards

Mike

doesn't look round to me either,

That cartridge shot very well out of my 20" 1/12 LW barrel even out to 400m.

We did shoot at stones with the bartlein out to 400-500m and had good hits with this load but never put a target out.

Might be the best to fire a ten shot group further out to see if some flyers appear and also measure real twist.

edi

• 1 month later...

In the meantime Dominic Byrne chopped the barrel at 20" and re-crowned/threaded the barrel.

A Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with lightweight mounts, 5 shot mag and 5 Baffle Delta Alu fitted.

Total weight now at 4,4kg (9.7lb) with mod. or 4.2kg (9.2lb) without mod.

Really happy with it and will be used for stalking coming season.

edi

ULETAC4_zps5113a178.jpg

ULETAC3_zps89d1c1cf.jpg

Archived