copper solvent

maxxis35

Hi folks what is the most effective copper solvent on the market, I use Butches bore shine, without going nuts on price what are the options.

I was told recently that Ed's Red is the dogs b's for carbon and copper cleaning. There's loads of info on the net about how to make it. Has anyone come across it or used it successfully?

I was told recently that Ed's Red is the dogs b's for carbon and copper cleaning. There's loads of info on the net about how to make it. Has anyone come across it or used it successfully?

Mark,

Forget Ed's Red - we made gallons of it a Diggle a few years ago - mine went down the drain when I discovered Butch's!

Mark,

Forget Ed's Red - we made gallons of it a Diggle a few years ago - mine went down the drain when I discovered Butch's!

Hi folks what is the most effective copper solvent on the market, I use Butches bore shine, without going nuts on price what are the options.

Butch's is a great bore cleaner - favored by the majority of benchrest shooters - but, it is not a dedicated copper solvent. It contains ammonia so it will remove a little copper - we use it between relays to remove powder fouling and it also keeps the copper 'at bay' but most will use a dedicated copper solvent like Sweets, Pro Shot or Bore Tech. at the end of the comp.

There are other solvents as mentioned above but my choice would be Bore Tech (Available from Riflecraft, Fox Firearms and Russell Simmonds).

One of those questions that will get many answers as everyone has their favorite.

For what its worth i use Montana Extreme Bore Cleaner and Montana Extreme Copper Killer. The Bore Solvent is very good and removes Copper well too. The Copper Killer is as strong a Copper Remover as you can get. Do not be tempted to get a good sniff of either or it will put you on your back :).

Nick,

Hi Vince. After our chat at Diggle about bore cleaners I bought some Sweets from Fulton's at Bisley while down there for the 100 yard comp. I've yet to use it but it smells like it would remove hair from a gorilla's arm pit :wacko:

I'm going to try it on the Savage tomorrow, which was cleaned with Butch's after the last shoot.

You should've seen the face of the guy when I asked if he had any Sweets. Both eyebrows raised independently.

One of those questions that will get many answers as everyone has their favorite.

For what its worth i use Montana Extreme Bore Cleaner and Montana Extreme Copper Killer. The Bore Solvent is very good and removes Copper well too. The Copper Killer is as strong a Copper Remover as you can get. Do not be tempted to get a good sniff of either or it will put you on your back :).

Nick,

Nick - I'll second your vote for the Montana Extreme Copper Killer - but where do you buy it - I brought mine back from the US in a Head Lice treatment bottle (they always give you a wide berth at customs when they see that!)

Nick - I'll second your vote for the Montana Extreme Copper Killer - but where do you buy it - I brought mine back from the US in a Head Lice treatment bottle (they always give you a wide berth at customs when they see that!)

Ditto. The copper killer worked wonders for copper removal and is the best I have used to date. But cannot seem to get it anymore. So if anyone knows who stocks it please let me know.

Cheers, Les

KG-12 and wipeout tactical advantage with accelerator have worked wonders on secondhand rifles i've bought that had never been cleaned properly.

Vince.

I got mine from Midway UK. Just looked and they now only sell the Bore Solvent. I do not know why as they both come in the same Alluminium Bottles.Have you tried the Montana Bore Solvent? It is very strong stuff as you will know if you put your nose over it.

Nick.

I use butches as a copper indicator and regular cleaner, but it wont remove any reasonable amounts. I clean copper specifically either with shooters choice, sweets or alternatively very long soaking in forest bore foam. The bore foam will if left though renewed periodically in a bore clean of carbon remove copper hidden away in places others don't seem to get so well.

My mate who goes as MO3 and a few other say wipe out is the best, will give this a try.Funny that some folk in my club in the past have said they love my Black Powder rifles, but they are dirty,funny that I only need soapy water to clean them with.Thanks for the info gents.

I was a firm believer in the Boretech until i tried the C2R recently purchased from Dave at the Shooting Shed. The amount of copper and carbon removed

from what i thought was a clean barrel was truely amazing! Plus it's made in the UK :)

Sean

I've just finished re-cleaning my rifles with Sweets. I used Butch's Bore Shine before and was happy with it, but, boy, did that Sweets taken some copper out. If (as some say) Bore Tech is better I hate to think how much of the crud I was leaving behind.

Archived