case lube

benny243

heres one for you! when I started reloading years ago I was told when using case lube don't get any on the necks or shoulder, anyway I recently bought some spray lube as it seemed a better idea than using the lube mat and less mess, so I read the instructions and followed them to the letter however when I tried to resize the first one it was tight and dented the shoulder, obviously when using the spray it tells you to spray the whole thing so I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as it doesn't say to wipe any excess off the shoulder. any ideas would be very welcome

I use Hornady One Shot Aerosol (not that worthless pump item) and i liberally hose the cases at a 45 degree angle. Make sure you let them sit a bit before sizing. No. It doesn't not degrade powder.

As to the other lubes (grease type) the rule is to not get excessive lube on the shoulder.~Andrew

PS: I stick with the spray unless I'm doing heavy resizing/reforming.

tiny bit on finger for me these days, too small an amount to act hydraulically on anything. Had the problem once with excess lube in early days. In short I want to be able to feel the lube but not see it. Once you have got excess inside your die it needs removing

cheers Andrew and kent, I think I"ll go back to the lube pad as it all seemed very tight when resizing and I will strip down the die and degrease as recommended just thought it sounded a good idea

cheers Andrew and kent, I think I"ll go back to the lube pad as it all seemed very tight when resizing and I will strip down the die and degrease as recommended just thought it sounded a good idea

The Spray lube (One Shot) is really excellent you just need to be liberal. Don't mist it, spray it. I small base resize 308 military cases using it. JMHO but really! Pads suck. Used them for decades until the spray lubes came on the scene.~Andrew

I thought the spray was a good idea too, but ran into lots of problems. I do clean the cases after resizing and trimming in the ultrasonic cleaner to remove the lube. I've returned to using the lube pad. Regards JCS

Without wishing to be boring with repetition I still think that Imperial Sizing Wax beats all .... Ican see the case for spray if you are doing hundreds at a time but wonder if most of us have teh patience to do more than 100 at a session.

ISW...goes on easy , comes off easy, needs a miniscule amount, you will not get denting and its totally effective.

Without wishing to be boring with repetition I still think that Imperial Sizing Wax beats all .... Ican see the case for spray if you are doing hundreds at a time but wonder if most of us have teh patience to do more than 100 at a session.

ISW...goes on easy , comes off easy, needs a miniscule amount, you will not get denting and its totally effective.

I agree. I always have used Imperial Wax every since I started reloading and have never had any case dented. And a tin seems to last for ages.

I thought the spray was a good idea too, but ran into lots of problems. I do clean the cases after resizing and trimming in the ultrasonic cleaner to remove the lube. I've returned to using the lube pad. Regards JCS

Now you've got me curious. Problems?~Andrew

One useful tip when using the spray versions is to sit the trays on sheets of newspaper (you prob do this anyway to avoid the mess) and tip them over immed after spraying and roll them around on it. Any gross excess is sucked off them by the newspaper. Sure, it doesn't do the necks but it helps keep the goop from building up inside the die

Chris-NZX

I use Lee die lube (in the white plastic tube) diluted 1:8 with water, sprayed on with a pump type aerosol, and allowed to dry completely. The cases are held base down in a loading block, and enough of the spray gets inside the necks as well. Cheap, cheerful, and it works. Just remember to strip and clean the dies every 100 rounds or so.

H/man

Archived