.243AI or .260 ?

Swamp Donkey

As above

My .243 is getting due a re-barrel very soon, I have a spare slot for a .260, so do I go 260 or 243AI ? It's mainly a foxing gun, the odd roe, and I use it on the range too,

I'd like to be able to reach out a bit further than I can with the standard 1/10" twist, and it's a varmint contour 20" tubed sako m591 at the mo.

It won't stabilise the 105 A-max as it is, so was thinking 243AI, with a 1/8" twist to run the heavies, my normal fox load is 75gr V-max so the twist should be fine for them and the 115gr dtac's I believe.

What is the pros and cons with a .260 against this configuration of 243 ?

I know a few,

Pro's, better bc

Heavier bullets

Same donor action

No silly 'mentor on deer' condition for me

Con's

Cost

Availability of brass

Less choice of bullets

Not 'on the shelf'

Dies not so 'available'

Any other thoughts ??

I don't have any experience of the .260", it seems to be hugely popular right now though so I'm sure you'll get some advice on the difference.

I can add a bit of opinion on the .243"AI. It's a fantastic cartridge. Easy to load for, good availibilty of components obviously as it's the same as a .243". It does everything a .243" can do, plus a good bit more if you team it up with a fast twist. You mention you'll be using it on the range; the 105 A-Max is fantastic for that purpose.

Hi I currently shoot with a 243ack. Great rifle and a brilliant calibre as an everything rifle. im now having a 2nd rifle built in 260ai but if I was just having 1 the 243ack would be it. I been using 87vmax but am now about to load develop a 75vmax load for it.my dad also shoots 243 ack and loves it

I can add a bit of opinion on the .243"AI. It does everything a .243" can do, plus a good bit more

I've had a couple of 243AIs - for 600 & 1000 yd benchrest - it's a great cartridge but it's only a little bit better than the 243. Plus, barrel-life is less and you lose a lot just fireforming your brass. I ran mine with the 115 DTACs and 105gn Bergers - both work well at 1000 yards.

243 or 260? That's a close call - if most of your shooting is at 600 yds or less - the 243 with 105gn bullets will do it.

Feed reliability with Ai?

Ive been using my 6.5 lap for foxing with 95 max, ok but a bit loopy, prefer a 70gn btip in 6mm..

Feed, yep. Good point. I suppose if I could get hold of a few sized ack cases I could try them first, obviously they won't fully chamber, but as long as they feed ok......

Offers ? ;)

I am a great fan of the 260...... great on the range (Lapua Scenars in 123g & 139g) , makes Roe fall over nicely (and I hope to do the same with fallow) , very low recoil especially if modded, good choice of bullets & brass..... no fireforming!... my 'Go To' for most things.

Hi,

I'm not a massive fan of the Ackley Improved cartridges although the .243 is one of the better ones. The .260 is available as a factory cartridge, has good quality brass now available from Lapua and you do not have to worry about fire forming. I think all the important points were covered in the original post,

Alan

I think it depends on what for?

Target shooting probably the 260! I have no experience with one but I hear good things.

Foxing as Gary said with a fairly light bullet 65/70g with the ackley they will take some beating, iv had a quite a few ackleys all 243 in the last ten years! And I can't see my cabinet going without one for the next ten! For foxing it is the first gun I reach for

alltho i dont own either caliber , iv shot 243 ! cracking cartridge . if i were you , id go for the .260 as i dont want the hassle of fire forming brass (like in my 223AI) some cases were formed more than others but pressure was up there judging by the primers so i couldnt just up the charge ! i had to fire form twice really ! which was so annoying ! had to order and wait for dies ! and cant get the case holder for my wilson case trimmer in ackley223 ! (still gotta get my 223 one reamed out! ) some one else pointed out feed which could be a consideration , i have to single feed any way with VLDs .

Archived