I'm keen to try CSR and PR. I don't yet have an AR15 clone but I'm working on it...

In the meantime, I have a Tikka T3 .243 varmint barrel with a "controversial" stock "(you know who" precision) and one 10 rnd AICS mag. I have other guns but this one is the closest to being suitable, I think.

The gun has no bipod at present. I have a moderator but this increases weight and mirage.

My questions:

Until I get a more suitable rifle, can I shoot CSR +/or PR with this?

What else will I need to compete (mags, bipod, sling)?

Are muzzle brakes allowed?

Would I need to crank the trigger pull up to 4.5lb?

I have a shooter certification card from my club- do I need anything else to take part (obviously FAC, but insurance, formal course/training like prac shotgun?)

Thanks,

Ben

I'm keen to try CSR and PR. I don't yet have an AR15 clone but I'm working on it... You don't need one.

In the meantime, I have a Tikka T3 .243 varmint barrel with a "controversial" (not too sure what you mean, was it born in Germany?) stock "(you know who" precision) and one 10 rnd AICS mag. I have other guns but this one is the closest to being suitable, I think. Should be suitable but will get expensive shooting .243.

The gun has no bipod at present. I have a moderator but this increases weight and mirage. Doesn't need a Bipod unless you want one.

My questions:

Until I get a more suitable rifle, can I shoot CSR +/or PR with this? YES

What else will I need to compete (mags, bipod, sling)? Nothing, but a sling may help if you don't have a Bipod.

Are muzzle brakes allowed? YES

Would I need to crank the trigger pull up to 4.5lb? No, but it must be over 1.5 kg (in Practical Optic Class and the lowest allowable weight) and have a working Safety Catch

I have a shooter certification card from my club- do I need anything else to take part (obviously FAC, but insurance, formal course/training like prac shotgun?) Wet weather gear and a sense of humour if using a .243.

Thanks,

Ben

There are pictures over at CSR.

Do you mean here: http://csrshooter.co.uk/

Or

http://www.highpowerrifle.co.uk/node/2

Can't find much on either site. Is there another? My Google-fu is weak!

I'm keen to try CSR and PR. I don't yet have an AR15 clone but I'm working on it... You don't need one.

In the meantime, I have a Tikka T3 .243 varmint barrel with a "controversial" (not too sure what you mean, was it born in Germany?) stock "(you know who" precision) and one 10 rnd AICS mag. I have other guns but this one is the closest to being suitable, I think. Should be suitable but will get expensive shooting .243.

The gun has no bipod at present. I have a moderator but this increases weight and mirage. Doesn't need a Bipod unless you want one.

My questions:

Until I get a more suitable rifle, can I shoot CSR +/or PR with this? YES

What else will I need to compete (mags, bipod, sling)? Nothing, but a sling may help if you don't have a Bipod.

Are muzzle brakes allowed? YES

Would I need to crank the trigger pull up to 4.5lb? No, but it must be over 1.5 kg (in Practical Optic Class and the lowest allowable weight) and have a working Safety Catch

I have a shooter certification card from my club- do I need anything else to take part (obviously FAC, but insurance, formal course/training like prac shotgun?) Wet weather gear and a sense of humour if using a .243.

Thanks,

Ben

Ok, sounds doable for a try out. I'll dig out the snorkel and fins.

Why did I think I'd need 4 mags?

And yes, the stock is from Germany.

Thanks for the advice.

Ben

Click the forum link.... ;)

"This board has no forums"

Do I need to register in order to see any posts/pics? Or am I being obtuse? It has been known...

Well, I've put my entry in for the whole day.

Now all I need to do is:

1. Source an extra mag (COF has a few stages that require two 5 rnd mags; I have one ten rnd.) Can I assume that using two 10 rnd mags loaded with 5 each is acceptable?

2. Develop a load, test it and estimate elevation for 600yds (my local range is 185yd max.)

3. Load enough rounds for the COF (104, I think)

4. Get from Derby to Bisley in time for 0800 start

5. Build up arm muscles to hold bloated rifle all day

6. Pack wetsuit

I'm excited despite the relative futility of taking part with so little preparation!

Thanks for the advice.

Hi, sorry to jump on this post. But going on the rifle choice. Is an AR15 better than an AI AW in 6.5x47. I'm thinking the AI is too heavy? I'm not really into 1000yard stuff, 600 is fine for me.And the high power rifle and CSR comps would keep me busy.

Is an AR15 better than an AI AW in 6.5x47.

Yes and no, its for you to decide. One of the top Practical Optic shooters uses a 7.62 AIAW, he only owns one gun and shoots it very well indeed. It usually beats everyone hands down when shot prone, its not bad sitting and standing holds its own in all but the very fast snap practices, its also worth noting that the guy shooting it is a OAP.

The real question is cost, for example during the Imperial for example you can expect to get through about 800 rounds over 5 days, thats a lot of 6.5x47 ammo.

There are a couple of regular competitors shooting AI's, both AW and AE. The two most popular classes are Service Optic and Practical Optic, the AIs are used in Practical Optic whilst Service Optic is dominated by AR15s.

Well, I've put my entry in for the whole day.

I'm excited despite the relative futility of taking part with so little preparation!

I've unintentionally turned that into

"I'm excited at the relative futility of taking part with so little preparation!"

for my participation in various non-CSR comps etc over the last few years; if I haven't just picked up a new rifle, new barrel, new optics or started using a new powder I wouldn't know myself :rolleyes::lol: - people turning up with known equipment are just cheating :lol:

The real question is cost, for example during the Imperial for example you can expect to get through about 800 rounds over 5 days, thats a lot of 6.5x47 ammo.

Whoah, don't go scaring them off just yet.

Round count including the PR match (96) Urban Contact (40) 100, 200 & 300yd matches (64) SR and LR Contacts (94) Rural Contact (62) and Methuen Cup (52) is a total of 408 rds.

Bangbangman,

Dont worry about it at all, there are loads of people to give you advice and also range data to get you on target at all ranges. Believe me, no one will see you struggle, you simply have to open your mouth and ask.

If you had said earlier, we could have picked you up on the way past, but we are stopping over friday night in Woking in the travelodge now. Next time certainly. Next weekend will give you a taste of the Imperial meeting. Make sure you can get time off.....because you WILL want to come to it. :D

Bangbangman,

Dont worry about it at all, there are loads of people to give you advice and also range data to get you on target at all ranges. Believe me, no one will see you struggle, you simply have to open your mouth and ask.

If you had said earlier, we could have picked you up on the way past, but we are stopping over friday night in Woking in the travelodge now. Next time certainly. Next weekend will give you a taste of the Imperial meeting. Make sure you can get time off.....because you WILL want to come to it. :D

Thanks Dave.

I put the gun back in a stock and went to the range on Friday for load dev at 185yds.

I couldn't work out why the groups were getting worse and worse (from not very good in the first place!) So I went through a troubleshoot process: low and behold the scope was loose in the mounts and had walked forward. I've never had this problem with optilocks. So, retightened and carried on, but had wasted several potentially good loads on the way.

Now I'm away and can't do any loading or testing. The only load that grouped ok-ish and which I have any data for was a starter load of 38.5gr VV N160 under a 90gr Lap Scenar. From a 185yd zero it's dropping 100in at 600yds. I hope to have time to develop something quicker by Saturday but time is against me.

Thanks for the offer of a lift in future.

Ben

Don't worry too much about it, you'll be fine

Thanks, but I'm not worried. I'm really looking forward to it, though I think the learning curve is going to be steep.

However, I do find shooting more fun when the banging noise is associated with an impact close to where I was aiming!

Archived