Shooting with a dry barrel or oiled?

Brillo

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question but I'll start here anyway.

I have been reading various articles about barrel break-in procedures (BBI) and I'm surprised at the variations. I'm not going to ask whether BBI is worth doing or not, but I'd rather do it and have that peace of mind rather than blame myself for not doing it if I don't get the groups I expect. I hope you understand the conundrum...

One of the contradictions is that some advocate lightly oiling the bore before shooting (Savage Firearms for example) and others tell you to dry the bore before-hand. The claim of the oiled bore camp is that a dry bore promotes copper fouling.

What is the consensus of you guys?

Ι've read similar views in the years gone by, and I would only agree with the drying of the barrel before shooting. There is the distinct possibility of bulging a barrel if the wrong amount of oil remains in the bore and, I for one, cannot be absolutely sure that I have left the 'right' amount of oil in a barrel to guarantee shooting it without destroying it. I always oil my barrels at the end of the cleaning process, but I always put a dry patch through before it goes in the gun cabinet.

best wishes,

Finman

Hi,

As Finman says, oil in the barrel is a potential problem. Do the people advocating this say how much, what type or viscosity of oil? If you are worried about copper fouling during break in use moly or HBN coated bullets,

Alan

I would never shoot an oiled barrel.... fluids just don't compress well!

Look at Hornady selling a hydraulic die for fire-forming brass without actually firing..... don't want my barrel screwed up.

Hi all i do after a good clean and condition is apply a small amount just enough to leave residue of Tuf Glide to a soft mop and a few passes just to leave a micro coating in the bore, i have had no issues with this in any way.

Rick

something some of you will already know but just in case you don't when proofing a rifle the proof house when proofing wild cat loads will oil the bullet of loads provided by the owner/builder as this increases peak pressure well over max. so I always use the meths dry patch as said by kent

In terms of a hunting point of view I always have a dry bore. I oil my barrel after cleaning and always dry it before shooting.

After several trips to the range (when I was a beginner and forgot to dry) if my barrel was oiled my first shot was always 1 inch high and 1/2 inch left!

• 2 weeks later...

dry patch out before ! i noticed when i shot the first round without dry patching , the primer went flat at the edge ! HIGH PRESURE ! so i allways dry patch out now !

Archived