Electronic Powder Tricklers

Ronin

Ive always reloaded using the "throw light and trickle up" school of thought.

I use a Harrell powder thrower, transfer the charge to a Acculab scale and trickle up on that - this takes time and when loading 100 or so cases at a time (which is fairly often, I find its a strain and pain to do in one sitting....).

However accurate my method may be.

Its slow and time is something I'm short of sometimes......

Ive been considering buying an electronic trickler to use on beam scales (again throwing light on the Harrell, but using the Acculab to check weigh only.

I dont want to go back to using RCBS or Lyman type charge throwing devices, they dont have (in my view) the accuracy I want.

But I am thinking of a Targetmaster or an Omega trickler

Anyone have any views on either, or about an alternative product that does the same job?

I've been using the omega for almost a year, and it's fantastic. I definitely wouldn't go back. When adjusted properly it allows you to trickle one grain at a time and its very fast.

Bought a Targetmaster a while back, and also had beam scales tuned by 1066.

Use Lee scoops, then trickle up to weight on Targetmaster - very pleased with results and quicker to use than a hand trickler. Nice to support a British product too.

The tuned beam scales are very sensitive....

What sort of consistency do you get with the Harrel thrower?

For speed, an accurate throw is paramount and I find that with care, my lee thrower is consistent to .5 of a grain making trickling up to weight very quick and easy. My lee thrower Is remarkably consistent if the bearing surface of the throwing arm is kept clean and judder free and not letting it get below half full is essential.

It also very very cheap!

Get +/- 1 grain in the Harrell, with most powders.

If I was using ball powders, id expect a lot less, but as I'm using extruded, I can live with this.

I wouldn't trust it to load direct to the case without weighing first though - ever...

I use predominately Varget, H4831sc, Vit 140, and RL 25, all PITA through the Harrell

Hmmm not sure your gonna find the ultimate solution Ronin, in that you will almost always need to trickle up?

I use a Lyman DP1200 as my thrower and then put the charge in my Kern and trickle up. It is time consuming but there's no other way not for the accuracy I don't think.

Ifthere is a way I have cash waiting too.

Andy, reading between the lines, what you're really asking is: what does a cutting edge set-up look like? What's a true reloading enthusiast using?

Look no further :lol:

brass2.jpg

Just finished this lot.

The targetmaster was given to me by SteveW on here - I wouldn't be without it now; bloomin brilliant. I chuck them with the Lee and trickle up every charge with the targetmaster. To control the trickle rate, you just raise the tube to reduce the incline; the more horizontal the tube is, the slower the flow rate.

Awesome set up Matt,

Absolute cutting edge, glad the hand press arrived and you're no longer using a toffee hammer....

Targetmaster or Omega - which is best?

I,ve just ordered a targetmaster this morning Andy. I have an omega, and its brilliant, you just need to keep your finger on it to trickle up. This would suit your electronic scale set up perfectly.

The target master is a once only press of the button, and it does the rest itself. As i have an Ohaus 10-10 it will suit these perfectly, especially as i didn,t know Allan tuned scales. He will be getting mine if so.

Once set up and running, i will be selling my omega as i wont use it, so if you want to try it for a bit, shout up.

I,ve just ordered a targetmaster this morning Andy. I have an omega, and its brilliant, you just need to keep your finger on it to trickle up. This would suit your electronic scale set up perfectly.

The target master is a once only press of the button, and it does the rest itself. As i have an Ohaus 10-10 it will suit these perfectly, especially as i didn,t know Allan tuned scales. He will be getting mine if so.

Once set up and running, i will be selling my omega as i wont use it, so if you want to try it for a bit, shout up.

Sounds like a deal Dave

When youre ready, I'll take it off your hands.

Andy, reading between the lines, what you're really asking is: what does a cutting edge set-up look like? What's a true reloading enthusiast using?

Look no further :lol:

brass2.jpg

Just finished this lot.

The targetmaster was given to me by SteveW on here - I wouldn't be without it now; bloomin brilliant. I chuck them with the Lee and trickle up every charge with the targetmaster. To control the trickle rate, you just raise the tube to reduce the incline; the more horizontal the tube is, the slower the flow rate.

I use the same set up except I use lee powder scoops rather than a throwing. Love the target master as it works with no fuss and made in the UK.

what does a cutting edge set-up look like?

brass2.jpg

I thought you were more of a back of the truck loading type guy Matt. :lol:

I've got the Omega, but rarely use it these days, I now use the Lee powder scoops.

I have my powder thrower setup on the opposite side of the room to my electronic scales. As when using the stick powders I use N560 & N160 , I used to tap the thrower barrel exactly the same each time to try and get consistent throws, but found the tapping used to unsettle the Kerns, so now use the Lee scoops to get me slightly under weight and then use my fingers. As like Andy even with the Harrels they varied too much with these powders.

I sometimes think this is a backward step, (I like me gadgets) but find this works best for me with minimum of movement.

• 2 weeks later...

Maplin , 18 quid epicyclic geared motor, drive pulleys 5 quid. , elastic band , bent plate , couple of small nuts and bolts , wires , cable joiners and two AA batteries all fitted to a rcbs powder trickler feeding into a rcbs scale . Throw a scoop in close to weight and trickle up with a simple press switch . Only prob I get occasionally with thick cylindrical grains is having to manually turn it if a grain gets stuck . Or maybe I'm just a cheapskate :-) not a patch on the quality of the t. Master or its capability just saves me time and allows me to weigh each one accurately .

Gonna get a tm when have some spare readies

Ronin TargetMaster rocks

Done 3,000 rounds on mine

Tuned scale by Allan highly recommend

Properly tuned I have confirmed that over 20 throws it gives an average throw within 0.04 grains

Allan is a gent great service

Archived