me ,i had one a couple years ago. quite a big improvement from the standard br , I shot 33 grns dosent sound much but it made a big difference at 1000yrds was quite chuffed with it .

Had an 8 twist pipe on it. come to think of it it was 5 years ago. if i had to pick it again i dont think i would 6xc seems much less fuss, it was good fun but!!! err well wot can you say its a br shoots and its improved.

Any BRx shooters out there. im looking for real time observations.

What do you want to use it for Spud?

I've just done a 6mm Dasher for 600 yd BR - first competitive outing tomorrow.

The standard BR is a brilliant round but if you like messing about - then BRX it, BDRX it or Dasher it!

Been thinking of doing one for myself for the shorter range F Class comps, although not sure if there would be any advantage over a 284 Shehane...other than less recoil.

Anyone advise?

6 mm BRX vs 6XC vs 6x47 vs 243 AI vs 7mm Winchester / Shehane

Thoughts, advantages, disadvantages, fireforming, brass availability, steps in creating brass etc etc etc ?

Been thinking of doing one for myself for the shorter range F Class comps, although not sure if there would be any advantage over a 284 Shehane...other than less recoil.

Anyone advise?

6 mm BRX vs 6XC vs 6x47 vs 243 AI vs 7mm Winchester / Shehane

Thoughts, advantages, disadvantages, fireforming, brass availability, steps in creating brass etc etc etc ?

I think the BRX falls between two stools, as there are lots of 6mm rounds now that are great on the target with better speeds than the BR based chambering.

I found my BRX fire formed well , when the case had been formed it showed real advantages over the parent case in speed gains.

6xc or super lr gives better speed without the fuss of fire forming, i am not so keen on 6x47 simple becouse the cases are so expensive . at the end of the day its just choice , if you even dream of a slight breezze on a compatition you will grab your 7mm every time(for F Class).

I no Elwood likes his 6mm but i think if you asked him if points mater its going to be the shehane on the firing line.

I like my super LR for practise shoots and range days/ Tactical shoots it would be great . If you want to take a BRX into the field shooting its great until you start dropping brass in the grass and mud, and have to start fire forming again.

Beware the man with the 6mm BR or similar on a windless day, luckily we don't get to many windless days ;)

Point taken, Shehane it is then..

To be honest bar 300 yard shoots at the Imperial I would reach for my .284 Shehane every time.

The little 6 mm are awesome and are great fun and in the Imperial at 600 yards in one of the side shoots I trashed the field with my 6mmBr including .284's and WSM's.

however when the wind blows you will get taken out of the 5 ring where the .284 will stay there.

However when conitions are right just watch them go with a very impressive V bull count.

Cheers

Dave

In my humble opinion if you're going to have a 6mmm and want to be competitive then you have got to be able to push either a 115 Dtac/Berger vld or 105 Hybrid at 3200 fps or over,this is done relatively easy with a 6mm AI or similar. If you can do this then you can match the 7 WSM for ballistics (run the figures) you will of course have WSM barrel life but very little recoil.

I thought I would never use anything else but my 6mm Crusader at 3/5/600 yards having won at Diggle in 2011 and 5th this year, that was until I got the Shehane.

I remember shooting the Pheonix this summer with DannyT, on the lane next to us on the 400 yard target were two Dutch guys using 6mm BR's, they absolutely hammered the V bull, If my memory serves me right I think one of them had 14 V bulls shooting at a F class 300 yard target at 400 yards! that's not bad going. The wind then picked up at 500 & 600 yards and they were blown out of the short range comp.

I can't help but think that a BRX or Dasher is better suited to benchrest? where 5 very accurate shots fired very quickly in hopefully very similar conditions would take some beating, minimal recoil, good barrel life and inherent accuracy.

Well, at our 600 yd Diggle benchrest comp today - held in reasonable conditions - the 'Mole' trashed us all (including Foxing Tonight!) with his bog standard 6BR - up against a couple of 6x47, a couple 6XC, my Dasher and several other 6BRs, 248s 6.5x47, 6.5-284 etc. His four group agg. was a new Light Gun record and best group under two inches.

Here's the top ten 5-shot groups shot today at 600 yds at Diggle

Bruce (mole) 1.94in. 6BR

Bruce 2.587 6BR

Steve Dunn 2.812 22BR

Darren Grundle 2.815 6BR

Gary Green 2.834 6.5-284

Mal Roberts 2.871 6.5-284

Dave Jackson 2.915 6BR

Darrel Evans 3.078 6.5x47

Bruce 3.079 6BR

Jeanette Whitney 3.142 243AI

Says a lot for the 6BR!

Hi folks

Just seen this and firstly thanks for the praise Vince and Darren.

This 6BR has always shot well from day one...... got to thank the gunsmith for it.

I shoot 105 grain Berger VLD's at 2910fps and this barrel and load has ES of just over 10. This chamber has a very short throat and this load is basically compressed.

The cartridge is a joy to shoot, minimal recoil and hence with a nice slick action I have found I can shoot fast and try to cheat the wind.

I have had some good scores at 1000 yards too with this, but I dont know how it would fair if I shot slow.

I am in the process of getting another 6BR built as I am that pleased with this one (No I will not be selling this one!), I considered a BR improved cartridge, but decided that I would stick with the ease of the simple parent cartridge as I was getting very good results. That doesnt mean I am ruling out ever having a Dasher or BRX.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Cheers

Bruce

Archived