So, who wants to shoot out to 1600yds, yes, a mile ? :)

I'm looking at running a 300-1600yd shoot in Wiltshire. But before I go ahead and put any money down on the booking, I need to gauge interest.

So, if people could give a show of hands below, and indicate if weekdays are 'do able' too.

If there is enough interest, I'll give more details, but I can say that HME calibers are fine, so that .50 cal you've been itching to get, is useable here. If I get enough solid interest, I'm thinking of running one on a bi-monthly basis, but it's not going to be cheap or easy for me to do this as I would need to start up a home office approved club to reduce the costs by a grand (give or take a few hundred) per day. Weekdays will work out cheaper.

SD,

Have a sutable rifle iminent so basically 'yes' and weekdays, with suffificent notice, is achivable.

Setting up a HO registered club might proove interesting?

Terry

MJR,

17HMR should do it (if you beleive the advertising/claims) :lol:

Seriously though, a mile's nice but pushing your exsting rifle to see what it can do is still good fun and the OP did say 300-1600 yard.

I'd take my 6.5x47 as well as I'm pretty certain it will work out to and probably past 1200 yards.

Terry

So, who wants to shoot out to 1600yds, yes, a mile ? :)

I'm looking at running a 300-1600yd shoot in Wiltshire. But before I go ahead and put any money down on the booking, I need to gauge interest.

So, if people could give a show of hands below, and indicate if weekdays are 'do able' too.

If there is enough interest, I'll give more details, but I can say that HME calibers are fine, so that .50 cal you've been itching to get, is useable here. If I get enough solid interest, I'm thinking of running one on a bi-monthly basis, but it's not going to be cheap or easy for me to do this as I would need to start up a home office approved club to reduce the costs by a grand (give or take a few hundred) per day. Weekdays will work out cheaper.

Will be very interested to see how you get on with this; Landmarc priced this prohibitively (ie more expensive than a gallery range, despite there being no targetry, no range warden on site, infact 'no nothing' less for a bit of broken electric fence and a couple of lost sheep) when I looked at it; you also have to stump up a Landmarc 'registration fee' as well as pay to form the club; from memory that comes up at circa £500 before you've made a range booking.

Once you've made a booking you're then at the absolute bottom of the priority list and will get bumped at no notice. (I can help you with that a wee bit by pointing out the firing areas from which you won't get bumped very often).

This is on ground on which I'm both qualified, and have, run practices from 9mm up to bringing in fighter ground attack. Army were greenlight. Landmarc were utterly obstructive. I gave up.

Bd, landmarc are always obstructive and i have no idea why (as well as being generally unorganised and inept)

swampy, the mile is 1760yds (1600m)

i shot the mile at WMS and throughly enjoyed it , i used my 300rum and was getting meaningful hits on a steel half torso target (even a pure luck headbox hit!)but the 260's impressed me the most with impressive hits at that range!

the most important thing you need really is a large backstop that you can see your strikes in so you can correct and the second most important is a good spotter !

have fun and enjoy......

Ok, 1760yds. Lol.

Bd, a 'commercial' booking, ie, not by a club IS silly money.

Like I say, I'm gauging interest, positive interest please, I'm aware of the pitfalls of the booking, user priority etc. if all else fails, I might just book it for a half day for a few close friends and myself, I'm also in talks with a civvy land owner ref using his land where 900yds should be doable, again, should still work out cheaper than other similar venues, excepting bisley etc as I like gongs over paper.

Ok, 1760yds. Lol.

Bd, a 'commercial' booking, ie, not by a club IS silly money.

Like I say, I'm gauging interest, positive interest please, I'm aware of the pitfalls of the booking, user priority etc. if all else fails, I might just book it for a half day for a few close friends and myself, I'm also in talks with a civvy land owner ref using his land where 900yds should be doable, again, should still work out cheaper than other similar venues, excepting bisley etc as I like gongs over paper.

Pete, If you can make it work I'm definitely up for it.

But, unless they're giving you some sort of unique super simple carte blanche; there's a heap more to this than meets the eye. I just have a feeling, based on my own attempt to do the same thing on the same training area that it won't fly:

Civvy access to danger areas, trained competent people, insurance, targetry (what? who sets it up? When? Who recovers it? When? (whens relate to the ranges being live for other users)), range comms - 2 means with range control (how?); who's doing your templates? Vehicle recovery plan (being left in a danger area when it goes live) etc

Assuming you've planned for all that (I was able to square that side away fairly easily on the green secret handshake, you may have a landmarc equivalent); what sort of ballpark cost are you fag-packet calculating per punter per day?

I couldn't get lower than approx £500 start-up cost to even make the first booking plus a minimum 'club rate' charge of over £300 per day for upto 6 shooters; and £50 additional for every additional shooter.

So, after you've squared away all the admin requirements and their associated time and cost; your first day will come in at £1000 for 10 people for a field with nothing in it :)

Sorry, being a misery because I can see people getting excited and I suspect it'll never fly.

But if you can make it work, once I've eaten my hat, I'm definitely up for it. :)

Civvy access to danger areas, trained competent people, insurance, targetry (what? who sets it up? When? Who recovers it? When? (whens relate to the ranges being live for other users)), range comms - 2 means with range control (how?); who's doing your templates? Vehicle recovery plan (being left in a danger area when it goes live) etc

Insurance, sorted.

Targetrey, mixture of sapu, and gongs.

Set up, needs to be done by a Range Warden,so that'll be me then.

Templates, sorted.

Vehicle recovery, Landmarc motor, so their responsibility. Comms, field phone, mobile phone, airwave radio. Target recovery, same as set up, me.

My overtime to set up will be in leu of my overtime putting flags up every day.

Cost, tbc, dependant on which of two ways I book it, depending on bookings to do the shoot.

I know you have 'insider knowledge' 'green side' (who are easy to deal with), I have insider knowledge of the Wierd and (not so) wonderful ways of Landmarc ;)

Insurance, sorted.

Targetrey, mixture of sapu, and gongs.

Set up, needs to be done by a Range Warden,so that'll be me then.

Templates, sorted.

Vehicle recovery, Landmarc motor, so their responsibility. Comms, field phone, mobile phone, airwave radio. Target recovery, same as set up, me.

My overtime to set up will be in leu of my overtime putting flags up every day.

Cost, tbc, dependant on which of two ways I book it, depending on bookings to do the shoot.

I know you have 'insider knowledge' 'green side' (who are easy to deal with), I have insider knowledge of the Wierd and (not so) wonderful ways of Landmarc ;)

Cool. I'll start on my hat now then. :)

What are the indicative costs for, say, 6 people by either booking means?

Andy, it is an approved range, from as small as a .177 air pistol, up to and beyond 155mm artillery, 500lb bombs, air to ground missiles etc, so yes, you'll be covered :)

BD, it's not even worth my time doing it for only six, sixteen, yes. Circa £1800 per day for a weekend to book, commercial rates, so 18 people at £100 each, but weekdays are cheaper, and if I do the other route, about £450 for a Saturday/Sunday assuming 8 hours usage and my time for nowt. Plus, there is the cost of any larger gongs as 8" may ba a touch too small at a mile lol. But they can be mild steel at the longer ranges as I can't see them taking the punishment the quarry ones endure. To be honest, I think 1/2" ply would still do the job, just without the 'ding' lol

Andy, it is an approved range, from as small as a .177 air pistol, up to and beyond 155mm artillery, 500lb bombs, air to ground missiles etc, so yes, you'll be covered :)

BD, it's not even worth my time doing it for only six, sixteen, yes. Circa £1800 per day for a weekend to book, commercial rates, so 18 people at £100 each, but weekdays are cheaper, and if I do the other route, about £450 for a Saturday/Sunday assuming 8 hours usage and my time for nowt. Plus, there is the cost of any larger gongs as 8" may ba a touch too small at a mile lol. But they can be mild steel at the longer ranges as I can't see them taking the punishment the quarry ones endure. To be honest, I think 1/2" ply would still do the job, just without the 'ding' lol

Pm me if you want some 20mm plates cut (cheap) I do have some hardox 500 (8mm) that i could plasma cut for you (a bit dearer)

I am in for £100 a day, could be interesting for my new 6mmSM. I think I will be running out of legs well before it hits the gong at 1600yds though. Can you make the 1600yd gong the size of a barn door to give me a chance please ???

Just done a few quick calcs and I don't think my Zeiss will get me to 1600yds.

Just because the targets will go out to 1600+, you don't have to shoot it, I'm not planning on any competition, it's for seeing what you and your rifle can do at extended range. I'm not sure mine will dial to 1600, in fact, I know it won't, but it's all about having fun trying stuff out that can't normally be done on a gallery, farm etc.

Pete

Archived