help please

leeroy may

hello lads could do with your help iv been shooting shotguns for many years and think its time i moved up to rifles for pest control i shoot anything from rats too foxs what would be the best two rifles too start with iv been told a .22 .243 are the best any comments would help cheers leeroy

.223 if you only want to shoot foxes.

Cheap to run, loads available second hand, everyone stocks them new, ammo/reloading components available everywhere. Will do everything from vermin to 1000yd target shooting.

go for .223 as c18rch said plenty of cheap .223 available and ammo of shelve i would say if you where loading your own .20tac great foxing cal or 204 you could go the 204 route ammo ready available but any of them cals will do the job

.17HMR FOR RATS AND RABBITS NOT BEST OPTION FOR OLE CHARLIE

ALL GOOD

:o :o dont ask me to go ratting with you spud!best thing for long tails-a terrier!

he really needs a 6ppc for shooting vermin.

I too would opy for a .17 over a .22 (altho I have both). 22 comes into its own if you will have the opportunity to shoot a lot of rabbits in a smallish area as the .17 will disturb them more. However .17 wins hands down for range and stopping power but not so great for meat damage. (altho a .22 isnt great if you are hitting em in body either)

For a CF then .243 best if deer are ever on your horizons otherwise any one of the .2 calibres, I love my 22/250 but now run a 5mm (.204 bullet) and love it too. ( I suspect I love em cos i shoot foxes with em and I LURV shooting foxes)

hello lads could do with your help iv been shooting shotguns for many years and think its time i moved up to rifles for pest control i shoot anything from rats too foxs what would be the best two rifles too start with iv been told a .22 .243 are the best any comments would help cheers leeroy

17HMR and a .223 Sorted

oh and a PVS18 with a 3 times mil spec lens for spotting a Lonbow on the .223 and an Archer for good measure now you are realy sorted.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Leeroy,and welcome

Rifles are a bit like tools,and differ much more than say different shotgun guages,especially wrt range and energy/power.A Perazzi may be a pleasure,but won't really be a better tool than a basic remington for pigeon shooting. Your shooting location too,may be relevant to safety

and is a factor that your FLO will be consider.It would be helpful to have a bit more detail of just what you will shoot,and typical ranges.Most of the advice so far is fine,though eg rats in an enclosed barn etc is NOT the place for any cartridge rifle.I would tend to advise simplicity eg 223,rather than something more exotic,but there is plenty of choice.Reloading widens this,though arguable to no real gain if you are 'just' shooting foxes at 200yards or less.But what are you expecting to be shooting? And spending-you don't need to spend a lot for good ,adequate performance,and under moderate field conditions you won't be able to,nor need to, replicate ideal condition accuracy anyhow.

In my humble opinion as I've come to rifle shooting when I was 39, after 25 years plus of shotgun shooting, I'd go for the .223 for foxes, if deer aren't on your radar, I've found it a great round with plenty of ammo options. For rabbits or closer range work, .22 long rifle the CCI segmented ammo does not ricochet and its far cheaper than HMR ammo. I have a .223 stainless Howa and a CZ silhouette, £600 and £450 respectively new, but you can by plenty 2nd hand.

Andy

It depends on what ranges you plan to shoot at. I have .22lr, .17hmr and .22 Hornet. In my opinion the HMR is not great for foxes but the .22h is good up to 150yds, cheap to reload and more consistent than the HMR with homeloads. .22lr is quiet and cheap but is prone to ricochet and is limited in reality to a range of about 100yds. You can get high velocity ammo for it but ts can affect the accuracy in a negative way. HMR ammo is inconsistent to say the least.

My view? For short to medium range rabbits and rats a .22lr will suffice and a .22h will do for longer range vermin and sensible range fox plus it has the added bonus of being an easy introduction to the world of homeloadng as you don't get an easier cartridge to reload for :) Rifles are reasonably priced and they won't shoot out as by comparison it is a light load. 35grn Vmax are good and plentiful and I have taken many foxes with my hornet. Hope that helps.

Tank

The consensus of advice is very good-22rimfire is enough for maybe 100yards on rabbits,very cheap ammo,and moderates very well.The 17Hornady rim fire mag extends range quite a bit-175 yards,if you need that range often enough,ammo costs quite a bit more. Any 22 centre fire will extend your range-so long as you are careful,of course,as with everything.I woud not buy a Hornet unless I'd seen it shoot-some of the older ones were very so so in accuracy terms,and its just about 175 yard capable.But a 223,or a 222 is superior and you are into real fox capability and 250 yards range.There is no real difference in reloading for any of the 22cfs,Hornet is a bit cheaper (less powder,and of course performance).Unless you have real access to deer,the 243 etc are too powerful,and needlessly so,for foxes.22 cfs moderate quite well.(they are all actually 224 calibre,and can use the same bullets if reloading-start with vmax or other well established ones).Have a good look around,before you chose-and don't think you need something a bit different/expensive-ditto scopes(that may come in time,of course)! Get moderators on your certificate(one for each calibre).Get a 223 or 222 that feels right to you,though perfect fit isn't so critical as with a shotgun-and you can carry easily!If possible,if it's used test fire it-very few modern rifles are not capable of about 1 inch at 100 yards for 3 shots,and that is enough for most field shooting,even for a relatively inexperienced shooter,some will be ly better-1/2 inch,which helps.Don't use FMJ military ammo for foxes,even if a bit cheaper-it's ineffective,not humane and prone to ricochet.Get varmint grade ammo.Check trajectory tables for your calibre/bullet of choice and believ them.Safety etc is as per shotguns,though ricochet issues, and of course the range and penetration is greatly increased.Do not even think of firing at much extended ranges,but be very aware the bullet can travel a very long way.Be safe,enjoy.

george

The consensus of advice is very good-22rimfire is enough for maybe 100yards on rabbits,very cheap ammo,and moderates very well.The 17Hornady rim fire mag extends range quite a bit-175 yards,if you need that range often enough,ammo costs quite a bit more. Any 22 centre fire will extend your range-so long as you are careful,of course,as with everything.I woud not buy a Hornet unless I'd seen it shoot-some of the older ones were very so so in accuracy terms,and its just about 175 yard capable.But a 223,or a 222 is superior and you are into real fox capability and 250 yards range.There is no real difference in reloading for any of the 22cfs,Hornet is a bit cheaper (less powder,and of course performance).Unless you have real access to deer,the 243 etc are too powerful,and needlessly so,for foxes.22 cfs moderate quite well.(they are all actually 224 calibre,and can use the same bullets if reloading-start with vmax or other well established ones).Have a good look around,before you chose-and don't think you need something a bit different/expensive-ditto scopes(that may come in time,of course)! Get moderators on your certificate(one for each calibre).Get a 223 or 222 that feels right to you,though perfect fit isn't so critical as with a shotgun-and you can carry easily!If possible,if it's used test fire it-very few modern rifles are not capable of about 1 inch at 100 yards for 3 shots,and that is enough for most field shooting,even for a relatively inexperienced shooter,some will be ly better-1/2 inch,which helps.Don't use FMJ military ammo for foxes,even if a bit cheaper-it's ineffective,not humane and prone to ricochet.Get varmint grade ammo.Check trajectory tables for your calibre/bullet of choice and believ them.Safety etc is as per shotguns,though ricochet issues, and of course the range and penetration is greatly increased.Do not even think of firing at much extended ranges,but be very aware the bullet can travel a very long way.Be safe,enjoy.

george

+1

All I would add is see if you can try out a few rifles/ calibres before you buy anything. maybe fill in your profile location you might get an offer from someone local willing to help.

Oh and welcome to the forum.:)

cheers lads that was a great help the range i will be shooting is all under 300yds so 223 would be the best never really been into deer stalking but that might come in years too come i love shooting foxs spend a lot of time tracking them down i only ever shoot rats with my air rifle or my dogs theylove a good day on the rats farmers tend too like holes in there shead less then they like rats :)

hi, i would go for what many have already said. if deer are never going to be on the cards a .22lr for bunnies out to 80-100 yards and a .223 out to any sensible range youve practiced at and know the drop and windage for (250-300yards max for for fox after lots of practice on paper but half the fun is getting them in close but good to know you can reach out if need be) make sure you try plenty of different brands of ammo to find what your rifle likes but as said make sure its ballistic tipped or soft point for use on vermin for humane kills. for ratting i would stick to an air rifle or for some real fun on the rats get those shot shells for the .22lr but dont forget to take the mod off first! get loads of practice in with both calibres is an absolute must and in all weathers. happy hunting :)

• 3 months later...

If as you say you will be shooting rats then a good air rifle is all you need, unless it's a serious rat problem then bait is the only answer!

Rabbits and other vermin a .22 rimmy or a .17hmr will do the trick.

For foxing any of the previously mentiond calibres will do the job, if you are new to rifle shooting I would go for a calibre that has readily available factory ammo like .223, 22-250 .243 etc as reloading isn't for everybody.

Never done any ratting but shot plenty of rabbit with the HMR. It doesn't ricochet like the .22lr and is wuite flat shooting which takes the guess work out of judging distance.

For fox i have a .22 Hornet and .223. The Hornet has shot many fox, the .223 less but the i've only had it a few months. Both will do the job but the .223 has more legs and more choice of bullet weight all the way from 40grn to 75grns depending on what twist rate barrel you get. If i could have only one .22cf it would be the .223. NIce calibre, cheap rifles, loads of reloading components and bullet wieghts, bullets, powder etc etc. Good luck. :)

223 cartridge is ok,and I use it.But the calibre is 224 and all the bullets (35 to 90g),powders ,reloading gear,etc are useable in all the 224s,(=22cfs),though no one twist rate(=rifle) will be able to use the full range,especially the heavies for long range shooting.(and the litttle Hornet can't).223 is just right in the middle of this performance range,and is understandably popular-certainly it has the largest choice of rifles available.

george

Archived