Rem 700 .223 Trigger suggestions

MakeSureAll

Hi all,

Trying to find a replacement trigger to my stock Rem 700 trigger in .223 (which is non-adjustable).

Looked at Jewell and Timney, and they seem the best off the shelf triggers.

Rifle will be used mainly for Foxing and a small bit of target, so an all round trigger (if it exists!) would be good,

Thoughts or experience of these (or alternatives) appreciated!

Cheers

The stock trigger used to be slightly 'improvable' - has it changed in design (been a while!)

Jewel, Kelbly very nice but quite expensive.

You would feel a definite jump in trigger performance by fitting a Timney or Rifle Basics over the factory item.

Changing the trigger is probably the simplest and cheapest improvements, be useful if you could feel some others side by side your existing unit to see what I mean.

Good luck on the endless quest to 'get it right' :) :)

Terry

Smart answer is Shilen or Rifle Basix

If your using it is field conditions that is.

Jewel if its for target...

Better still, source a CG unit - theyre the best of both worlds.

Got to agree with Ronin, the smart answer for field use is a rifle basix. I fitted one to my remy 700 and thought it was great. After using for a while it seemed to bed in and lighten up :o which for field use with cold hands was just too on the edge. A quick adjustment heavier soon sorted it and very happy with it.

I did have one issue with grit one time but I suppose it would depend on how much crawling about you did. With this in mind Jewel wouldn't be ideal for me.

Personal experience leads me to be very happy with a Jewel.

I’ve used military weapons in the roughest conditions in anger. The triggers were a necessary evil nothing more. IMHO it’s all horses for courses.

I, like many many thousands of shooters Worldwide, safely use Jewel triggers in the field.

When I shoot I get wet and cold on the Scottish hill and a tad chilly while out lamping foxes...…nothing the Jewel can’t handle. If things get too bad I go and have a pint. …I don’t get paid to be uncomfortable anymore. I’m not playing Army and don’t need to make do with a rough old naff trigger, just so I can operate in the middle of an arctic storm or some such. So far (fingers crossed) I’ve never had an ND and I try not to drop my toys that I paid for with my own money. Neither do I use them as a hammer or pry bar. (And yes I have witnessed both).

ATB

From first hand experience with countless users...the ones who complain about jewels in the field, are the same ones who dont clean their guns, cars, dogs and teeth.

In short....dirty sods. Deerstalkers are the very worst. :lol:

"It int workin anymoor"

"can tha fix it " ?

Usually yes, once its been extricated from the congealed oil/grease/heather/bark/bugs/deersheite.

If you aren't prepared to keep a gun and its trigger clean, dont buy a jewell. If you are, you wont have a problem. I own a dozen of them [every gun is fitted with one ] and haven,t had any trouble with one of them.

Achosenman

Think it's 'AD' not 'ND' but just being a pedant :lol:

T

No terry, in a former life it was called a "Negligent Discharge" and attracted a severe docking of ones salary after a cosy chat with the CO…...if you were lucky. One unfortunate colleague I knew was posing for happy snaps to send home to Ma Pa and let an M79 round go by mistake. We must have broken the 100m record heading to the four compass points…:ph34r: he got 28 days and a fine plus he had to re-qualify. :lol:

ATB

Achosenman,

My appoligies, I read it as you meaning a trigger failure (AD) but you meant a 'fat finger' event and as you rightly point out that's an ND.

(Note to myself - read what folks mean not what you think they mean :mellow: )

Terry

Thanks for the replies all!

I think a trip to my RFD is in order, and see what I like the feel of!

(Jewel is still winning, but only marginally!)

Cheers

Thanks for the replies all!

I think a trip to my RFD is in order, and see what I like the feel of!

(Jewel is still winning, but only marginally!)

Cheers

hi MSA,

have 2 rifle basixs, fitted to my rem 700's, one on 17 furball and the other on 22-250,

havent had any problems with either

cheers jock

Had a jewel on a semi custom and it was very nice! Although I'm currently runnin a rifle basix which I have to say Is not to bad! It used to creep a little but sent it to a smith to be sorted and came back like a different trigger! But it is on my stalking rifle so might be guilty of been a bit dirty!!!!!

I've adjusted several factory tggrers down to 2-3 lbs, the last one I did is at 3.5. That said, I'm leaning towards a Jewell myself. Based on the feedback from several folks who are/have used them.

I've had 2 rifle Basix triggers, varmint type. They were set at 6-8 ounces if I recall. Good triggers, I'd use them again.

I'm not sure this is an imagined 'issue' for off-road rifles:

jewell.jpg

All good and world-winning for a range rifle; but if I'm looking for a field trigger for a rifle that's going to go 'off-road' why would I choose to build in a known point of potential failure?

For a field gun, it's a simple no-brainer to choose something else that in range-use terms is 'almost as good' as a jewell; but in field-use terms is not as gunk sensitive isn't it? (I'd also include dirt/rain/condensation/frost as 'gunk'; the answer in the quote above was range-oriented to my mind.)

That's not 'dis'ing Jewell; that's being invited to race up a muddy unmade track and picking a Porsche Cayenne over a Ferrari for the task.

Indeed , and all true Matt, except for the fact, that there is NO production trigger made, that has the same feel, range of adjustment or quality of the jewell unit.

Far more important however, is the fact you can set the jewell at just a few ounces and pogo stick it on the floor, loaded...and it wont go off. No other aftermarket trigger is capable of this. Most of them stipulate you must close the bolt slowly to avoid slam fires !

That statement alone means i would not fit one to any of my guns...they simply are not safe, at ultra light settings.

For this reason alone, i would fit a jewell to a field rifle, because that is the place its gonna get dropped, slid down bankings etc etc, and i would simply keep it clean.

If you want a decent field trigger that can be set reasonble, then have a look at a Shilen. They are basically a better made version of the old remington trigger with all three adjustments. Someone familiar with this type of trigger can set them sweetly, but more important, safely.

Nick,

Not a silly question, it is (or was) a standard job in the US, involved a bit of sorting of the trigger, stoning of the mating bit of the male chickening piece on the end of the firing pin but it is a different culture, there are a lot more gunsmiths and you can drop in on a Saturday, drink coffee, they might be able to do it there and then, or you'd drop back later in the week.

With our laws and the spread out nature of decent gunsmiths the cost/hassle to ship a rifle to/from the gunsmith is more than buying a replacement trigger.

Plus $30-40 spent on a Remimgton unit is OK, but it's still a factory unit at the end of the day.

Terry

Archived