My .223 from Baldie

Thought I'd pop a post up with respect to the .223 I picked up from Baldie last week, firstly a photo with the scope on as I think rifles look weird without any sights

223pics003.jpg

Have done a bit of load developement and came up with this for my 55 grain vmax

223pics.jpg

Measures about 0.5" perfectly good enough for lamping work. Load is 27.5 Grains Varget, fed small rifle primer bullet 20 thou off

Then got started with the 80 grain Vmax and varget and didn't get anywhere, short panic text to Dave who replies have you tried Vit 140, no thinks I, will give it a go. Then came up with this

223pics002.jpg

Measures 0.36 or thereabouts. Load is 21.7 grains N140 again 20 thou off with a federal small rifle primer.

Both are 4 shot groups as I am incapable of shooting a 5 shot without throwing one, hence only ever load 4 test loads in each variation.

This is my first custom rifle and to say that I am pleased would be the understatement of the year. When I discussed the build with Dave I wanted a rifle for foxing that I could shoot in FTR at club level and I think I have exactly that. The man's a genius hence he's now using my quadlite action as a base for a .284 in the same mould, F open here we come!(would have had his own action in the .284 too had I sold the BR!)

Hope fully this is of interest but on the basis my Mrs isn't interested I thought I'd share it with you guys!

All the best

Rich

• 1 year later...

that looks a serious rifle pal with top accuracy, you must be over the moon with it, i would be,ive never owned a custom rife in my life,with out being cheeky what sort of money is it for such a thing, cheers simon....

what barrel make and twist ??? cheers fella

it is indeed a border cut barrel with 1 in 8. My foxing load is still the same and if anything shoots much better than my first test groups. My PB for a head shot bunny is 378 yards and that was dialled straight up using my ballistics chart on a very still day. The target load, I settled on the 77 SMK with 24.2 grains of N140. Both loads are extremely accurate but I use it much more for foxes than anything else. It has accounted for 53 this calendar year with 2 misses,(both of which were my fault as I 'out thought myself').

All in all it is a wonderful rifle that I really enjoy shooting and gives me great confidence. In terms of money all I will say is that I regard it as some of the best money I have ever spent and if you want an accurate price best ring Baldie and ask!

all the best

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

what action is it , looks like an ODIN ??? proof they shoot right there , with the good work of baldie of course !! ;)

Archived