Seeking Permission

Arell

Hi

Does anyone have any good ideas for gaining permission when you're new to an area?

I've spent all of today driving around the East Devon area, speaking to land owners & handing out contact cards (looking for 'varminting') but found nothing available. There are plenty of poultry farms etc. in the area and everyone I spoke to was very accepting and happy to discuss the subject, however all of these have solutions in place already.

As I say, I left a lot of cards around which read:

FREE VERMIN CONTROL

Including: Foxes, Rabbits, Crows etc.

Professional service at NO COST

BASC Insured, Fully Qualified Individual, FAC Licensed, Based Locally.

Tel: O7595 468O63

Is this the right way to go about gaining permission? Any advice would be appreciated as driving a couple of hours to my old permission is doing my head in!

Many thanks,

Arell

yep its a hard road with plenty of knockbacks. I find a good idea is to post hand delivered letters for farmers to read in their own time as they always seem to be on the go and dont like being pestered or put on the spot!! if asking for deer a good idea to offer a cut in carcase sales

atb steve

Another possible avenue, would be to find a local shoot and volunteer your services. Beating on shoot days, you may even end up with a "Beaters Day" shoot, I'm not suggesting it will be an instant access, as you would need to prove yourself safe, reliable,affable and hardworking.

Even if this doesn't work out, you will have a great time, go home knackered and will meet like minded people who maybe able to help in your search.

Even this time of year, keepers are building/repairing pens, water systems and rearing chicks/poults.

Trust has to be earnt, even offering to help out farmers in return for shooting would help.

Good luck.

Yeah I find it's who you know arell must be v diffacult if new to an area keep at it! The way I look at it the worst that can happen is they say no! The only thing I will say is start with rabbits farmers hate rabbitts when they see what a good job you can do no hassle etc.. Then ask about foxing! Wrong time if year for foxing when they start lambing and maybe have lost a few lambs that's your chance that's what I find anyway.

youve got land for your FAC ask youre permisson for a letter of good deeds youve done to go with the cards

cross one farmer and youlll cross them all in that area

Not sure if other keepers have this but i get at least one person a week turning up on the doorstep wanting to do my rabbits for me. They dont get far with this approach.

Hi, been a farmer myself I know what we are like. As said above by other members try helping out in some way first then offer you services as you gain more trust as farmers can be funny with new faces! When you do get access what ever you do don't do a crap job as word will soon spread far quicker than if you have done a good job as the farmer will want his pests sorted before he lets on to his neighbour that your doing a good job. A bottle or a lump of venison for the freezer at the end of the season would see you in the good books Iam sure of that! Get down your local pub or gunshop for any crack on pest problems. Good luck mate. Simon

Richard, I have been facing the same problem trying to secure new shooting near to my new home with FAC. Treat it like any new business initiative. Put yourself out there in a professional manner and some luck will come your way.

It all seemed wrapped up around me, but I have just secured 12 acres of garden centre and woodyard - albeit using my HW 100 air rifle - but teeming with rabbits, pigeons and tree rats.

I was passing the garden centre, saw loads of rabbits on the adjacent headland and left my card ((£5.00 fron Vistaprint)) after buying a tactical £30.00 of plants.

Nothing for three weeks then a call.

Have you tried rabbit training. Hard work but it pays off when they chew the bark off £1,000 of acer trees !!!!!!!!

It's a joy to use the air rifle again and the stalking is a joy, with brilliant scrapes, hides and rests.

The best bit is that I had to meet the local landowner to secure the overall written permission - he liked the air rifle and the fact I would not scare his horses. He has another 300 acres apparently - next to the local airfield.

I popped up to see the Garden Centre owner during the day to tell her where I had filled in the gaps - all part of the service !!! She was very happy.

Wildlife reserves are another area, but you might have to "educate" the council into the damage vermin can do. Worth a go.

Good luck.

David

Hi All

Thanks very much for all your responses. It’s reassuring to know this is a common obstacle and not something that should put me off.

I’ve only ever had permission on a spot of farm land, owned by an old family friend, so never had any issues having to ask for shooting rights.

I’ll take all of the advice posted here and do the following:

• Hand deliver a letter describing my request

• Include a recommendation letter from current permission

• Evidence of ‘wildlife stalking certificates’

• Evidence of insurance including protection for land owner

• Contact card

I’ll update with any progress.

Thanks again,

Arell

The best way to get permiison on my land for a bit of shooting for example and im betting a lot of other land is to get to know the farmer / keeper by helping him out and offering to be about when needed. After all you need them more than they need you, its a sad thing to say but its very true. You need to show responsibilty when you are with him and a respect for guns, wildlife and views of the country side in his presence. Keep what you see and hear to yourself as many keepers dont like to be spread arround how many birds their puttting down or when or where - that type of rumours flying about. By default keepers are suspicous of anybody pitching up on the door to anybody wanting to do them a favour and shoot all their rabbits, pigeons, deer, etc

One goldern rule to never break when knocking on a door to a new permisson for the first time is turn up in camo or camo type clothing. First impression will be "RAMBO"

Hi

Does anyone have any good ideas for gaining permission when you're new to an area?

I've spent all of today driving around the East Devon area, speaking to land owners & handing out contact cards (looking for 'varminting') but found nothing available. There are plenty of poultry farms etc. in the area and everyone I spoke to was very accepting and happy to discuss the subject, however all of these have solutions in place already.

As I say, I left a lot of cards around which read:

FREE VERMIN CONTROL

Including: Foxes, Rabbits, Crows etc.

Professional service at NO COST

BASC Insured, Fully Qualified Individual, FAC Licensed, Based Locally.

Tel: O7595 468O63

Is this the right way to go about gaining permission? Any advice would be appreciated as driving a couple of hours to my old permission is doing my head in!

Many thanks,

Arell

trouble with cards is-dont put on foxes, rabbits crows maggies rats -yes.you have to gain the trust of the landowner first before you ask to go foxing.too many numpties trying there hand at fox control leads to one thing -problems

professional service-to a farmer means your qualified and you get paid for it.but what bits of paper have you got?and why say you will do it for free,starts to set bells ringing.

f.a.c license well you will probabaly need one so good point.

cold calling is a hard ask youv got to go see them to talk to them-but are you casing the place to rob?farmers think this way.

best way is reccomendation its a snow ball effect pick up one farm and a few will follow

dont sh*t on your own doorstep and thing will be fine.

i tried for 3yrs to get my own land with no joy and one stroke of good fortune landed me with my first permission it went on from there now i have quite a "bit".good luck.

trouble with cards is-dont put on foxes, rabbits crows maggies rats -yes.you have to gain the trust of the landowner first before you ask to go foxing.too many numpties trying there hand at fox control leads to one thing -problems

professional service-to a farmer means your qualified and you get paid for it.but what bits of paper have you got?and why say you will do it for free,starts to set bells ringing.

f.a.c license well you will probabaly need one so good point.

cold calling is a hard ask youv got to go see them to talk to them-but are you casing the place to rob?farmers think this way.

best way is reccomendation its a snow ball effect pick up one farm and a few will follow

dont sh*t on your own doorstep and thing will be fine.

i tried for 3yrs to get my own land with no joy and one stroke of good fortune landed me with my first permission it went on from there now i have quite a "bit".good luck.

BOB ON,, Yes it is a hard road??, try asking the farmers what they have got a problem with??, not telling them what you would like to shoot,,, you know that they are a funny lot :lol:,,,

All the best with your search,,,

Darrel

I'm not saying you have or are ever going to, but don't ever address anyone as "mate" otherwise your interview is over.

Victor :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Its never easy, it took a while to get my permission of 1500+ acres and a season of Beating and work parties. Im now trusted to go out wherever I wish, but always speak to the Headkeeper and Underkeeper first. Gutting thing is that Im now moving away from Surrey to mid-Wales, but have the bonus of already going out with the Hunt and having family that are landowners, but I still need to get onto a pheasant Shoot as I still want to work my male chickener. I will also be back in Surrey once a month to shoot at Bisley, so will be visiting the Shoot and Beating whenever possible.

Talk to everyone, be polite and dress smartly when visiting prospective permissions.Good luck.

I am a farmer and I get asked so much for permission to shoot that I am just fed up with it, I do feel for the people involved but in my area at least demand far out strips supply.

I certainly would never let anybody on for FAC who was unknown to me, just too much risk. Most of my shooters have been with me for years and we know each other well.

As another point if you do get permission don't do anything to male chicken it up, I have had to let several shooters go over the years for making really stupid mistakes, including getting your vehicle stuck because you drove in an inappropriate place and best of all I once caught 2 pigeon shooters having a punch up in one of our fields because they had fallen out over the best spot, both lost their permission.

I'm not saying you have or are ever going to, but don't ever address anyone as "mate" otherwise your interview is over.

Spot on Elwood, any sales rep or similar who calls me "mate" is an instant loser.

Spot on Elwood, any sales rep or similar who calls me "mate" is an instant loser.

what really gets my hackles up is someone calling me "Boss",it happened today i went into a plumbers merchants to get some prices for a customer and the guy at the counter came out with it "now then boss what can i do for you?" :angry: :angry: a real icy glare about turn and i walked out.good job there wasnt a cat nearby it would have got a right shooing.

Archived