S200 tactical challenge

brown dog

Well, it’s clear I’m not getting out enough….. :rolleyes:

Just decided to have a go at shooting old 303 brass at 20m just for…..well, no particular reason.

Started with 8 cases. Rather surprised myself by clearing them 1 shot per case. They fairly wing off when hit! Lost 3 at this point.

P1010157750x285.jpg

Using the S200 with a no-money 4x32 mildot that I’ve just put on it as it’s nice and low for the brats – but still gives me a useful practice ret picture.

P1010159750x448.jpg

Struggled to get a pic of the ret – but the brass made quite a nicely sized practice target

P1010163750x620.jpg

Round 2:

P1010164750x329.jpg

Could this be a new discipline? :lol::rolleyes::)

A shotgun cartridge[live]stuffed in the hollow handle bars of my cousins bike-walk back 20paces hide behind the shed door -let rip with the .22 weihrach watch the fun unfold,be prepared to hide though,the neighbours and for some strange reason plod, didnt think that was a good idea-what did they know?after all dont all 12 yr olds know everything?

now thats plinking!

A shotgun cartridge[live]stuffed in the hollow handle bars of my cousins bike-walk back 20paces hide behind the shed door -let rip with the .22 weihrach watch the fun unfold,be prepared to hide though,the neighbours and for some strange reason plod, didnt think that was a good idea-what did they know?after all dont all 12 yr olds know everything?

now thats plinking!

Haha.

Used to do the same with blank 762 rounds found/pilfered off Salisbury plain. You certainly know when you hit the spot!!! Unlike some around here, I still have both eyes and all my fingers ;-)

Rup

Haha.

Used to do the same with blank 762 rounds found/pilfered off Salisbury plain. You certainly know when you hit the spot!!! Unlike some around here, I still have both eyes and all my fingers ;-)

Rup

I used to do the same with 7.62 blanks found/pilfered on bassingbourn barracks !

Thankfully I never managed to get the ww2 50cal round that I found in a field to go off !

knock primers out of old brass, pass thread through hole and tie several knots. Pull knots back to primer hole and suspend case. Hours of fun.......

And it looks like the second shot was a little off to the left :rolleyes::)

Matt,

is that an Air Arms S200?

Thinking of getting a "garden trainer", this may be what i'm looking for - could you advise on shot capacity bettween fills and specifically what model it is.

Ive a HW 80 I restored a while ago, but thats a wee bit unweildy for plinking in my back yard....

USED shotgun shells make good reactive targets too. They are a little bigger though but they were more readily available when I was younger.

Matt,

is that an Air Arms S200?

Thinking of getting a "garden trainer", this may be what i'm looking for - could you advise on shot capacity bettween fills and specifically what model it is.

Ive a HW 80 I restored a while ago, but thats a wee bit unweildy for plinking in my back yard....

Yes it is an AA S200 (although they're made by CZ and rebranded). Upside is it's dinky and sized just right for either adult or child use and - important to me - is that the pistol grip is similar to the hand angle on a 'tactical' rifle; most air rifles seem to have normal sporter pistol grips.

Accuracy is unbelievable; at 25m it can literally put all the pellets through the same hole - to the extent that I've sometimes thought that only my first shot has hit and started to wonder about what's gone wrong, only to go forward and find they're all in the same hole!

It hasn't got a regulator and so I only fill it to 180 bar and then run it for 40 shots before topping it back up to 180 - easy as I only plink in the garden with it.

I think it's great. As a fullbore trainer I also think it's excellent - I had the temerity to ask on 'a well known air rifle forum' how it would do in that roll, only to have a bunch of experts describe how it's recoilless but centrefire isn't :rolleyes: in actual fact it's excellent - position and hold, in particular at the moment of shot release, is very unforgiving (it's got so little inertia compared to a 'proper' rifle that it's extremely easy to pull off target) and so it's a great training aid and really forces you to think about trigger timing and your trigger technique.

Do I wish it had a regulator? yes

But would I buy one again? Absolutely; it's perfect for this role.

If money were no object would I buy it again? Yes, so that the brats could use it; but i'd have to get a steyr too :rolleyes::wub: :wub: : LG110_hunting_g.jpg

Ronin, I have the AA s400 which is the up market newer version :P of what Matt has. Again same as he found it is a soundly engineered item and i find it really useful for free hand shooting practice. Ok so it hasn't the weight or recoil but it will make you smoother and less snatchy. Bipod shooting with it is less of a test though Matt come on!

The only time I regularly put a bipod on is so my 4 year old can sit and have a blast (without pellets but don't tell him) :D

Matt, have you a pump or cylinder?

I got a Hill pump from Sheffield and it is sound as long as you use a knee action (squat) rather than a top torso work out :lol:

but it will make you smoother and less snatchy.

makes you "smoother and less snatchy" perfectly put :)

Bipod shooting with it is less of a test though Matt come on!

Blimey, I'm not putting them in the same hole offhand! :lol::)

I bought a bottle for it - couldn't face the thought of pumping!

Matt,

Here's a regulator fitted and rifle tuned up FYI http://www.xtxair.co.uk/air-arms.php looks like it doubles the number of shots per fill.

I returned to air rifles at the same time as Matt, my last air rifle was a BSA Mercury and the jump to thePCP rifles is just incredible, no1 son and ihave joined a local FT and HFT club which is very challenging and great practice.

Like the idea of the spent catridges - think end on will be better :ph34r:

Terry

Matt bring your rifle next week!

Thanks for the info Matt.

Im severly tempted,,,,although totally smitten of the idea of a Steyr....

Chris,

Basically a regulator on a PCP air rifle goes between the resevoir and the firing 'system' It means that the firing system always sees the same pressure shot to shot until the reservoir drops below the pressure the reg can maintain. This also results in more shot per fill, in some cases more than double the number.

In an unregulated PCP then you will have a number of 'good' shts where the fps does not vary much, then the fps will chnage. This sweet spot of shots (as Matt said about 40) als odes not occure from a full cylinder i.e. a 200 bar cylinder would be charged to 180 bar, you'd fire a couple of shot to setle things down then you know you've 40 accurate shots for a comp. With the regulator you can fill to the brim and know you've many more shots as the regulator give the firing system the same pressure downstream of the reservoir.

Hope that's clear as mud? :lol:

Terry

Chris,

Basically a regulator on a PCP air rifle goes between the resevoir and the firing 'system' It means that the firing system always sees the same pressure shot to shot until the reservoir drops below the pressure the reg can maintain. This also results in more shot per fill, in some cases more than double the number.

In an unregulated PCP then you will have a number of 'good' shts where the fps does not vary much, then the fps will chnage. This sweet spot of shots (as Matt said about 40) als odes not occure from a full cylinder i.e. a 200 bar cylinder would be charged to 180 bar, you'd fire a couple of shot to setle things down then you know you've 40 accurate shots for a comp. With the regulator you can fill to the brim and know you've many more shots as the regulator give the firing system the same pressure downstream of the reservoir.

Hope that's clear as mud? :lol:

Terry

This is pretty good; explains the unregulated 40 good shots too: http://www.airguns.net/general_regulators.php

Hi have you thought about a customed stock Ripley AR5, they are something else if your into PCP's

I had a FAC AR5 and it would shot stupid little groups all day long, provided you had a huge divers bottle to refill it!!

ATB Bob

There are a variety of very slick airrifles on the market. Some are even electronically controlled - a bit too clever if you ask me.

I have a Ben Taylor regulated FX Cyclone running 27ftlb and i have to say it is faultless and stoopidly accurate and near silent. It also handles beautifully not having that humongous bottle stuck up front like the Theoben Rapids. It also has a really nice trigger which is great for practice.

At this Time of year it comes into its own withthe young rabbits. Headshots are easy out to 70yds leaving clean carcass for the table.

Don't under estimate the modern airgun, they are very, very sophisticated bits of kit.

Rup

Archived