Calibre advice needed.

1967spud

Ive got the chance to hunt Brown Bear soon and was wondering what calibre would be best, im thinking either .308 or straight .284. Any advice please?

Ive got the chance to hunt Brown Bear soon and was wondering what calibre would be best, im thinking either .308 or straight .284. Any advice please?

It depends on the size of bear you expect to encounter, and where in the world you are going to be hunting.

For really big bears i wouldn't go with much below 375 H&H. For medium stuff i would say either of those calibres you mentioned would be ok with 180+grain bullets but just ok. Personally i think a 300 win loaded with 200gr swift A frames would be my choice.

I never shot a bear but from what Ive read and heard about them they dont take too kindly to being injured. Unlike the little deer, when you dont get spot on they tend to run the other way. Bears I believe carry a very different attitude on this one, I reckon getting even with the guy that p**sed him of would be the only thing going on in his head. As was already mentioned dont go ungunned after these guys, a .300wm would be the lowest Id be going here.

Never hunted them or have the desire to. However Boddington and Wieland in their books suggest anything above .338. As they recount hunts in woodland they favour things like the .358win, 35whelen, .375holland and even .416s and upwards. Were it me, I'd use this as the perfect excuse to get a 375?

Nothing is wrong with 308 but you have to place it right

May I suggest 9.3 x 62 throwing 250 accubond

You will be fine even with Kamchatka 3 metre plus

Just a small tip

There is no ligament holding the heart to the back of the diaphragm so when a bear is standing,

the heart drops with gravity and it's like a rugby ball on its pointed end

It is common when you shoot it might be on its hind legs

So stay clam and think

the heart might not be where you think it's going to be

Does it make sense ?

Hi Mark the answer is under your nose

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13628&pid=115673&st=0entry115673

Or else the .300WSM is another good choice if you don't want to go down the long action route.

I think the 7mm's/.284's you would be possibly struggling to get anything over 180 grains. The .30's give you far more choice.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry guys should have said this question is on behalf of a norwegion mate off mine , who struggles with written english. ill forward all comments back to him ..

many thanks

Hi Spud,

.300 Win. Mag, .338 Win. Mag. or similar with the appropriate bullets. 9.3x62, x72R or x64 are also ideal with the same caveat about appropriate bullets. London Humter's comments are extremely valid, he's probably had more experience of hunting big bears (and being hunted by them!) on different continents than anyone else on UKV,

Best regards

Alan

Spud the way your mate will be hunting Bears in Europe will most likely driven or to hunt with dogs, the latter takes some stones. (dogs hold the bear at bay while you stalk in and shoot him) and if you make a slip up you will get chewed a bit by barny bear.ive hunted in sweeden a fair bit and there are a few hunters chewed up every season after stalking in to the dogs and making a lash up.

so more gun rather than less may be wise say 338 win mag or the like , or as some one post has already stated

you dont have to be fast just dont be last.

Make sure the calibre is plentyful anyway and that the rifle does not have a fixed blade iron sight at the muzzle because if you p.ss these guys off that fixed blade on the rifle is going to hurt when he sticks it up youre aśś.

Make sure the calibre is plentyful anyway and that the rifle does not have a fixed blade iron sight at the muzzle because if you p.ss these guys off that fixed blade on the rifle is going to hurt when he sticks it up youre aśś.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived