AW in .260 or 6.5x47

Ballistol

AIAW is .308 as standard, but can be specified in .260 or 6.5x47, so given the option, which one would you choose? I'd love to hear from people who've specified these options direct from the factory.

I'd welcome any opinions but some specific considerations would be:-

Price difference

Barrel life

Barrel length to get the best out of the cartidge

Barrel profile including fluting

Brass life

thanks in advance

Have a crack with a 6.5x47 if you can get the opportunity; it'll make your mind up for you - it's just a lovely round -small but perfectly formed!

(& I've just ordered a 6.5x47 AW - didn't mean to, it just happened :rolleyes: )

How much horse-power do you want or need? 6.5x47 tends to do very well with pills up to 123grains. The higher bc 139 / 142 pills do better in 260 Rem.

Don't know if the firing pin hole would need bushing on an AW for 6.5x47 - higher pressure and small primer.

Lapua brass in 260 is now a big plus.

David.

Have a crack with a 6.5x47 if you can get the opportunity; it'll make your mind up for you - it's just a lovely round -small but perfectly formed!

(& I've just ordered a 6.5x47 AW - didn't mean to, it just happened :rolleyes: )

Haha how long did you manage to last without an AW and after all you said lol

Im using a .260 in my AW..Im very happy with it flat and hard hitting on Fox and Roe out to 500 yds with authority.

I had the same choice to make last year I went for the .260 after some research and talking to Calum Ferguson at Precision Rifle Services.

Here is a good read-

6.5mm Shootout: .260 Remington vs. 6.5x47 Lapua vs. 6.5 Creedmoor

I’m sure you’ll be happy with whatever you choose good luck ;)

Mike

Ballistol,

I shoot the '47' and have found it to be a very accurate and performing cartridge. 2900fps+ with the 123g Scanars and 2840 ish with the 139's using more current powders (i.e. R15/R17).This is from a 25 inch 'odd number canted groove' barrel (sold as R5 or C5 dependant on manufacturer). I have not seen a great advantage in using the 260 over the 47 in sensible length barrels for tactical purposes but I'm open to persuasion.

Rumoured primer problem - use the right primer seems to be the answer, CCI 450's or 'Russian primers' work. Caveat if you're not trying to go silly with velocities.

As to profile and fluting, I settled for a medium Palmer as I did not want a too heavy rifle and as it seems to work on the 'standard' AI's, they are not exactly poor performers :)

Fluting - your call, it does look good and chicks dig it :lol:

Barrel life, do not know and have not seem any hard research/evidence on this, to my mind 10 grains more powder to achieve similar performance in the 260 would suggest it would have a shorter life - or am I over simplfying things? Smaller more efficient cases e.g. 6BR, etc. make more sense. If you are not trying to make either round into a 6.5-284 and drive it sensibly I cannot see it being 'short' by F -class standards, I'm well past 2000 rounds with no signs of throat or accuracy going south, but as I said I'm treating the round as a very superior 308 rather than and inferior F-class round.

Either cartridge will do well if used in a good rifle.

If you're ever going to travel you can get a few more rounds onto an aeroplane.

Brgds Terry

I think, I would have ordered one in 260 Rem rather than 6.5x47 soley down to potential issues with small primers and the AI action....although it appears that this (blown primer) issue is rather non specific to any rifle - by that I mean that some guns do, some guns dont.

Is the AW coming with a small diameter FP?

when i got my barnard 07 i ordered it in 6.5x47 took some advice from experianced people on forum who know what they are talking about and changed order to .260 never looked back will do anything 6.5x47 will do but a bit more punch just as accurate and a pleasure to shotarget.jpgot

when i got my barnard 07 i ordered it in 6.5x47 took some advice from experianced people on forum who know what they are talking about and changed order to .260 never looked back will do anything 6.5x47 will do but a bit more punch just as accurate and a pleasure to shotarget.jpgot

cheer just order a AE in 260 was thinking of a 6.5 x 47 but will stick with it just need to pick which stock pistol or thumbhole

:blink:

Archived