So whats the score ?

sir-slots-alot

Probably the wrong forum - but here goes.

Recently, I was talking to a lad who was proudly showing off his PCP air rifle.

I think it was a big daystate - the one with a welsh dresser for a stock. :blink:

Anyway other than weighing a half hundred weight - it was a nice looking rifle

Mounted on top of his rifle was a Nikko scope 10-50x60 with some sort of tractor stering wheel welded to the side

One of these http://rowanengineering.com/products4.htm

So my question is - why does an air gunner with a max range of 45 yrds need the hubble telescope on their rifle :blink:

Last querry - Would you pay £100 for a bloody side wheel.

ATB

Alan

Probably the wrong forum - but here goes.

Recently, I was talking to a lad who was proudly showing off his PCP air rifle.

I think it was a big daystate - the one with a welsh dresser for a stock. :blink:

Anyway other than weighing a half hundred weight - it was a nice looking rifle

Mounted on top of his rifle was a Nikko scope 10-50x60 with some sort of tractor stering wheel welded to the side

One of these http://rowanengineering.com/products4.htm

So my question is - why does an air gunner with a max range of 45 yrds need the hubble telescope on their rifle :blink:

Last querry - Would you pay £100 for a bloody side wheel.

ATB

Alan

So it's bigger, better, cost more than his mates?

The large sidewheel is there to rangefind using the parallax corrector Alan. By putting a huge wheel on the side, it makes the spacing lines between yards bigger, and thus more accurate. On full power, those scopes can be used to find the target range to within a yard.They are very accurate rangefinders indeed. You need to be able to judge it that accuratly because at long range, the pellet drop is huge when you are tring to hit a 10mm disk.

Airgun field target is one of the hardest disciplines there is.....by some way.

well a 50 year old woman can cook better clean better more experienced in bed but you would still go for the 20 year old ,no logic it just looks pretty.i have a daystate. 30 ft lbs great if you fancy a change.some of my pals with standard air rifles target shoot out to 100 yds.i have more respect for guys that spend the money and time to learn how to shoot an air rifle with skill,using target turrets and rangefinders wich some would say is over the top.its the outher cretins who buy an air rifle and go out shooting after hitting a coke can at ten yards.if you bother to spend 100 on that side wheel chances are they take it seriously .and yes my air rifle looks pretty and i'm a sucker for shiney things :lol:

atb mike

Its undoubtedly "pimp my gun " to a degree Alan, but it does serve a very important purpose, and they are beautifully made , looking at them.

I shot FT in its inception around 1980, when we all used springers. I also remember seeing one of the very first precharged pneumatics used. It was either a converted daystate tranquiliser gun [what they were then known for ] or a very early daystate midas, i forget which.

The turning point in FT was the Wheirauch 77 rifle. That revolutionised the sport, and a whole host of custom guns and bits were born for it. Then when the PCP,s came about, people wanted to add to their guns in much the same way. Its a good business to be in...if you can put up with the Arseholes, airgunning attracts in large numbers....i couldn,t, so dont sell them.The reason being, the lack of any form of licensing.

Shooting a .177 at 55 yards in strong winds will teach you more about wind doping than any fullbore ever will. It is extremely difficult.

One of the greatest shooters I have ever know was the late Dave baines. He was sponsored by daystate his skill at reading the wind was impressive shooting a 7.1 grn pellet at 11 ftlb in any wind takes some doing he could put them just about the same hole at 50 yrd .My old mk3 daystate was still the most expensive gun I have ever owned

Mick

One of the greatest shooters I have ever know was the late Dave baines. He was sponsored by daystate his skill at reading the wind was impressive shooting a 7.1 grn pellet at 11 ftlb in any wind takes some doing he could put them just about the same hole at 50 yrd .My old mk3 daystate was still the most expensive gun I have ever owned

Mick

AGGY-not david from REDBECK?ex england shooter?

Gents,

Had my eyes opened to FT and HFT recently, certainly some serious kit being used.

FYI I think the largest market for the March 8-80x scope is the FT crowd for the exact reason Dave said, the combination of high mag, quality build and side paralax means they can range literally to the inch!

Brgds Terry

Archived