Cheese Competition

brown dog

Not really sure what to call this, but 'cheese competition' seems to be best :lol:

Been given a pile of old shooting mags just flicking through them over my post-Christmas distended belly.

Just came upon this in a review of a .308 Merkel KR1 in the June Sporting Rifle:

"I zeroed at 150yards ......a few more rounds to check resulted in a group of just over 1/4in, along with the thought that it may be a good idea to move back 50 yards or so. I got similar results, with the occasional pulled shot being down to me. In fact, extending the distance to 350 yards had little effect apart from the obvious drop"

A little over 1/4in - let's say: 1/3 inch at 150; so he starts at sub 0.25MOA at 150; gets sub 0.2MOA at 200 and sounds to be 0.15MOAish at 350.

The fact that I couldn't do that doesn't mean he couldn't; so I'm seriously impressed! :o

But I only truly appreciated the world-leading quality of marksmanship when I read a later revelation :

"Not being one for for gizmos, I fired the Merkel using nothing more than my hand and a dry stone wall for support."

That's just Outstanding!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

(right; that's the gauntlet thrown; can anyone outquote my 0.15MOA at 350 yds sporting rifle rested on a stone wall bloke for sheer tosh?)

Brown Dog.

I cannot out quote you, that is fantastic accuracy and i am not saying he did not do it. I certainly could not.

Have you any idea what the 300 yard Bench record is?

This lad needs to get himself and his Merkel up to Diggle. Maybe Vince could fashion him some sort of dry stone front rest to accomodate his somewhat unusual shooting position. :D

Nick.

I think they'll all make the change to dry stone walling after this revelation :lol:

Now now BD, jealousy is an ugly thing, perhaps he also has inordinately large hands which also make a bit of a difference?

Couldn't quote it exactly but I think I posted previously about an article in sporting rifle talking about a chap and 3 mates who went to WMS with a .338 and hit a smallish target at a mile 'with ease'

My thread went; is it that easy, short answer back was no.

Will try to drag out exact quote later but mag probably been recycled now.

Let me guess , that quote is one of Pete Moore,s ?

He,s a genius, and every gun he tests shoots 1/2" groups with ease, usually with factory ammo.

Never is a picture of the groups though ?

It does nothing but damage to the trade. Half of shooters realise what a load of baylocks the writers talk, and the other gullible half then expect every factory rifle to perform the same, and every custom rifle to be capable of 1/4" groups ALL DAY LONG.

I,d like to ram that silly phrase up their collective asses.

Your spot on with the "shoots 1/2" groups with ease" comment Dave.

It seems that just about every rifle tested in Gun Mart, routinely achieves this kind of grouping. This builds a huge expectation in the shooting public's mind and inevitably leads to dissapointment when they can't replicate this. I've often spent time with lads who are struggling to better 2 or 3 MOA at 100 yards with factory loads and the frustration they experience is now all too common.

I'm not saying that these levels of accuracy are impossible from standard rifles, far from it, but it usually requires significant effort and time to work towards wringing the best from any rifle.

Punters expectations now are take it out of the box, buy some ammo and it's a world beater. They need a warts and all reviews, not some of the fairy stories that seem more and more prevalent these days.

Can't better BD's quote but wouldn't it be great and honest if just once a reviewer would say " save your money, rifle xxx or scope xxx or gadget xxx is absolutely crap" now that would be worth reading.

In the May/June edition of NZ Hunter, Greg reviewed a Begara Scout break-open single shot rifle in .243. These are a budget gun to say the least and he reported " ..a variety of factory ammo .. grouped from 2 up to 6".." He eventually found a load that shot half-acceptably but pointed out forend pressure and incomplete action lock-up accounted for some very wild shots.

If gun writers evaluate a piece of gear and find it's crap, they should advise the supplier that's what they're going to report and if the supplier isn't happy it hits the press, they have the right to withdraw it. As you guys have said, too many magazine writers wear heavily rose-tinted shooting glasses...

Chris-NZ

Its one of the reasons that i wont supply guns for test. Regardless of what is written, no one believes the review, so its actually counter productive.

Far better to have the gun behind an unknown, stomping ass, and winning gold medals. THAT, sells more rifles.

I remember winning the F class 4/5/600 at Bisley a few years back at the phoenix. The line up included a heck of a lot of the top international shots. I won it with a 6.5 x 47. That win sold over a dozen rifles.

There is always going to be a conflict of interest between a reviewer, and the editor, because the gunmaker is probarbly paying for advertising, or in certain shooting magazines , you are made to take out advertising before they will review a gun.

Hardly going to tell the world the product is crap are they?

The one exception to this rule is Targetshooter.

They review honestly, and fairly, and without fear or favour [in the nicest possible way ]

I,ve had no end of free publicity from them, regarding visits etc, and i,ve never paid for advertising, nor been asked for it.

People in the trade will also vouch for the honesty and integrity of the reviews...they tend to know when products are junk first.

The simple thing is, their reputations are too valuable to throw away, and that is your guarantee of honesty.

joking aside men I recently watched a good friend who is like me an infrequent poster on here shoot about the the most amazing group at 400 yards I or for that manner anyone has ever seen ! rifle is a prs built 20 ppc with Borden action , Krieger barrel in a aics with jewel trigger 39gr bks in lapua brass .. bipod and rear bag in no wind he put 4 shots into 1/4 inch . now I know that's pretty amazing and probably unrepeatable but still was stunning to watch , as pat the man says wind blows em in as well as out :wacko:

I'm sure Rock Mount are about to do a knock off Chinese copy of the original 'Stonewall rest'..

They'll probably get Tactical in the product title somewhere too :-)

All of a sudden there'll be miles of Welsh and Cumbrian marches disappearing off to China in shipping containers on the middle of the night as Chinese slate is just too crumbly for proper rifle stability :ph34r:

Archived