Got up to Bisley for the morning; had a chance to give the 4(T) a run out.

Still haven't mastered it; but it's just a joy use; keep finding myself grinning :D :

Started at 300yds.

Lee300view1900x675.jpg

Lee300view2.jpg

After squinting through a 25power scope, changing to the No32 feels like aiming down a toilet roll tube:

Lee300view3.jpg

Moved back to 500 and then 600yds; the BDC markings seem to be 'in the parish'.

600:

Lee600view1.jpg

Used the 300 bull at 600 - it really is like aiming with your thumb; humbling that blokes used this rifle so successfully in the war:

Lee600view2.jpg

(look closely, that's a v-bull at 600 on a 300 target :D (yup, fire enough and it has to happen occasionally :lol: ))

SurreyHeath-20111220-00092900x675.jpg

Big Grins!:)

Needs a bloody haircut...... :lol:

The scope looks to be in very good nick Matt. Roger has just had a couple completely renovated, and the chap has made an unbelievable job of them. Lenses repolished etc, and not dear.

Has the gun got the wooden case ?

Ho Ho :lol:

The rifle is just what's in the pic, no ancills. It's one of the lot that Roger Payne bought from MOD years back; has one of his malleable cast iron mounts on it (which since I've learnt more about these rifles, is a mount that gets all the 'numbers-must-match' afficionados' knickers in a twist, since he supplied these very mounts to the MOD's own L42 refurb program and they were issued on those rifles - so does that make them repro or issue? issue or repro? Definitely repro. Well, issue repro. So, issue. But repro. etc :lol::rolleyes::lol: ) and a renovated No32 Mk3 scope.

A bit crazy that I spent 3 years working within 200m of where Peter Laidler works but I never, at the time, had any inclination or interest in these rifles; used to have the odd chat and was aware that he'd written a book or two, but that was it! :rolleyes: - infact Peter kindly machined me an ACI mount for my AW way back. (Guessing it was Peter who did the renovation on your scopes?). Keep meaning to take this gat over for a blether - and to ask him to lighten the trigger a bit!

Yes, thats him Matt. He is a wizard. They even came back with a hand written letter detailed every last job done on them A real craftsman.

Love the gun buddy, and it obviously shoots. :)

Yes, thats him Matt. He is a wizard. They even came back with a hand written letter detailed every last job done on them A real craftsman.

Love the gun buddy, and it obviously shoots. :)

Dave, your inbox is full -can't PM you.

theres something about 303 that just makes you grin!

looks like a nice piece of kit. regards david.

I would have to agree with you....

Those of us attending next years NRA service rifle competetion should take a No4 for the falling plates comp; I reckon it's more fun with one of those than the newer go faster stuff I see on the range.

Er....did I mention I was in the winning falling plate team with a No 4 last year..... B)

It doesn't matter buddy does it ? We all had a great time that night. :) Cant wait for next years.....i,m already loading "match" ammo for it !

Are you going on the 7th Jan ?

There is something rather special about shooting with a 4T, I had mine out at Barton Road 800/1000/1200 last month shooting at 600m targets. the vertical post is wider than the target frame at that distance! I have a No32 Mk1 Kershaw on mine and at 800/1000 the elevation turret was pretty well spot on, at 1200... well forget it, I was on the frame once in the half dozen shots I took and decided it was best to stop at that point. It is a PITA shooting at a 48" frame, fall of the frame and you need to make some inspired guesses to get back on again as you cannot see the splash. At 800/1000 I fell of the frame twice in 40 shots which given the age of the rifle/scope was impressive I thought.

Archived