Opinion on DTA SRS review

tackb

Rekon this is the best place to put my opinions of the new rifle review by brown dog ?

Very impressed by his review , his opinion is considered and his credentials certainly add up to give his opinion weight.

Like the rifle , liked it since I saw one in the flesh some time ago and the fact that it shoots so well is fab , one of these in 260 with a 22" barrel would really blow my skirt up as a hill stalking rifle !

BUT , unless the price has got a little more realistic I'm afraid that although I 'could' afford one I choose not to , this doesn't detract from the fact that it's a fab rifle it's just in my opinion it is overpriced.

Russ

left hand sounds great.i'm glad you dont always have to wait years and years to get left handers now.

why how much is i

Matt

They wanted 4.5-5k for the basic rifle , you then need scope/moderator/bipod/sling/spare mags/case etc!

Yep I think its a fair and unbiased review. There is no doubt the DTA is a well thought out package. It definately feels different but not in a bad way and i'm sure anyone used to bullpups(i'm not)would feel very at home with one. I find the scope a little low for my face (must be slightly mutant :lol: )but its nothing that couldn't be sorted. I'm a lefty so not ideal for me but a left handed version would be seriously tempting.

Cost? well you pays your money and takes your choice. My view is this - anyone with multiple rifles in different calibres already has significant capital invested and the SRS gives multiple calibre choice on one platform with a barrel swap. Starting from scratch i think it would probably be the cost effective option? I've seen better marksmen than me use them and they are all they say they are.

Cost? well you pays your money and takes your choice. My view is this - anyone with multiple rifles in different calibres already has significant capital invested and the SRS gives multiple calibre choice on one platform with a barrel swap. Starting from scratch i think it would probably be the cost effective option?

i see your point, and aggree as it happens

apart from the pleasure of specifying a custom rifle for your own specific use?

An interesting video to go with Brown Dogs review; I recall that when the Light Support Weapon was introduced the shooting press (Guns Review?) were more than interested in the sniping capabilities of the weapon being in a bullpup format.

At the risk of going off topic do we know if the LSW was ever trialled in this manner?

LSW was introduced into RN Service (HM Ships) about 3 to 4 years ago as a poor mans sharpshooter rifle to extend the reach of the Command Team against shoreside threats when alongside in not so secure and safe berths abroad. Muddled concept thought out by the RN SME (Gunnery Branch) who know nothing about shooting or marksmanship.

An interesting video to go with Brown Dogs review; I recall that when the Light Support Weapon was introduced the shooting press (Guns Review?) were more than interested in the sniping capabilities of the weapon being in a bullpup format.

At the risk of going off topic do we know if the LSW was ever trialled in this manner?

Mick,

I'm in the peer group that really landed in the midst of the LSW frenzy 2 decades ago; the rest of the world had RPKs and minimi when we had to put up with SASC types preaching that 'suppressive' fire was a thing of the past and that the only genuine suppressive fire was section fire supplemented by 400m headshots (supposedly from the LSW). This was used as the argument to support the selection of a magazine fed support weapon over belt fed. Utter muppetry. Everything about the LSW's design is wrong; the 'girder' under the barrel is a bodge to try to overcome the fact that its POI wanders drastically as it heats -and it's a bodge that doesn't work. The range drum on the sight is calibrated for SA80 (or was it vice versa - can't remember!) and the whole thing is the love child of a genuine ###### of a concept. The LSW is no more accurate than SA80, infact with sustained firing, it is horribly less accurate. It just 'looks' more accurate (girder + bipod) , but all it actually does is to add weight to the load of the poor bloke carrying it, and it takes another bayonet out of the fight (you can't fit a bayonet to LSW).

LSW is a wholly flawed weapon. Notice that when things got tasty for Iraq a few years back the previously 'crap' minimi started turning up as a general issue Brit section weapon big time; the fact that this roughly followed the retirement of the SASC generation that brought us SA80 is, I'm sure, entirely coincidental :rolleyes: I'd had minimi in my sections back in 94 doing other stuff, and it was such an entirely in-your-face awesome weapon that I still cannot comprehend the motivation of the SASC blokes who preached the supposed virtues of LSW for so long. (You'll have realised that I don't feel strongly about LSW or the SASC muppets of that generation :rolleyes::lol::lol: )

Add L129A1 to minimi and you have the full 'QED' of the LSW not being fit for purpose.

...which, altogether, is a massively long winded way of saying that the 'merits' of LSW have no read-across to bullpup sniping :lol:

brown dog, is there larger capacity mags available or in the pipeline and what is the cost of said mags?

with you on the LSW by the way , may have just as well kept the bren/lmg............... :D (grandad was a bren gun carrier driver so i have a soft spot for the bren)

Hope you dont mind me answering the last question.

There are higher cap mags in development however these may still be a few months out, price to be confirmed.

If there are any other questions then fire away and I will try my best to help.

DTA Europe.

Price for the existing mags?

Hope you dont mind me answering the last question.

There are higher cap mags in development however these may still be a few months out, price to be confirmed.

If there are any other questions then fire away and I will try my best to help.

DTA Europe.

Christmas is coming please please could you do me one for £2k???

I gotta ask, I fired one and I must admit, I am a convert....

I wish I could Orka, I am sure I could sell a couple at that price :-)

As for mags they are £90.

Ewen

Thanks Ewan , can you post your website ? I've googled and tried the ad but can't seem to find it ? Google comes back with a footware shop !

I wish I could Orka, I am sure I could sell a couple at that price :-)

As for mags they are £90.

Ewen

I'd be having one at that price. Well, maybe when I've finished rebuilding my landy I would :rolleyes: .

Archived