Playing with toys!

terryh

Gents,

Just back from a quick trip to the US on business but managed to hook up with Tony Burkes for a BS and some shooting. Got to play with his AX, a couple of Desert Tacticals and a few other goodies.

The AX is way different to my ASICs and AWM. AI seemed to have tweaked the rifle quite a bit, shoots very weel, feels different:

JilliansPictures004.jpg

The scope was interesting, it is the new Bushnell tactical model, Bushnell are pushing into the police nad military market. It was a FFP 3-21x (from memory) and pretty dam good!

Tony's used Velcro on the forend and magazine for move and shoot stages and this works very well for holding the part empty mags, compliments the LH side cut out of the mag well on the AX.

Also put a good few rounds through a couple of Desert Tacticals. Not shot these rifles to any extent before but was very impressed with the trigger (which I expected to be 'mushy') and the accuracy.

JilliansPictures027.jpg

Used the new Bushnell tripod with his Spotter 60 and found it to be every bit as good as a Manfrotto but with a few additional points that, I felt, would give it an edge. I believe it is made by Slik for Bushnell.

Tony has added a few neat items to his inventory which I tried and walked off with :) , I'll take some photos and do a brief review later.

Brgds Terry

Terry, who's a lucky boy then. Next time you go playin i'll carry your bags if you like.... The Desert Tacticals certainly are a quality piece of kit with a good trigger and so compact. Also as i've witnessed very accurate but i've only handled a r/h one, would like to try a lefty if one becomes available.

Like the look of that scope Terry. I have 3 of the 2.5 - 16 x 42 tacticals and they are superb. A FFP with a bit more mag will be an absolute belter.

These scope have to be the best thing under a grand there is . They have jap lenses, track pefectly, and have every feature required. They beat sightron with a shitty stick, both on price and quality.

Bargain of the year, and i'll bet this new one will be sub grand in cost.

Yeap , I have had a play with a DTA SRS , and generally likes it , BUT , in a couple of areas , I did not like , the pistol grip did not suit me , and like a AW stock , you will either like it or not .

The plastic stock panels , seem like a hard plastic rather tahn the soft bendable ones on AI rifles , which may mean they break more easier than the AI ones that bend instead of snapping ?

yes the new bushy is meant to be nice ( and is made to be in the higher end range , in quality & price ), it will be even better when they go to a 10 mil knob .

What did you think of the Spotter 60 ?

Cheers Chris

Chris,

Do not think the DTA panels will break that easy, seem pretty tough/solid. As with any rifle you need to try them, like shoes, they need to fit.

I'll get some more details/photes on the Busnell scope and report to all.

Re. the spotter 60, I have one and it is by far the best spotter scope I have used (my previous one was a top end Kowa). It is also the only one I've seen that is FFP with a mildot ret.

Brgds

Terry

Had a look at the new AX when I popped down to see Graeme at sporting services a few weeks back - must say i was impressed with it it's got a amazing trigger - one of the best I've come across - it's fully adjustable much like the RPA type and as a whole very well put together.

I'd seen an AX stock for drop in Remington's a while back and both Baldie and I agreed it was poorly finished and appeared to be cheaply made.

However the AX stock for the AX rifle was a different kettle of fish altogether.

I'm going to hold out rifle shopping for a while, till DTA or Accuracy bring something out in a left hand action.

Regards

Rob

Actually , the stock on the SRS , I played with seemed to be hard , ie no flex at all , it just did not feel quite right , any way that was my impression .

RE : the AX rifles , the one I am most interested in is the AX338 , which has the different/new action etc , hopefully soon , I will be in a better position to comment 1st hand , on the AX338 .

The Spotter60 , is something , I am looking at getting at some stage , I just wish it had 1/2 mil marks as well .

Nice toys

it looks like a atlas bipod

Gunnery, that is indeed an Atlas Bi-pod. Ballistol is refering to the tri-pod that the spotter is sat on.

Very nice setup, but a question if i may.Can anyone identify the tripod in the first picture? I can't find anything under the Bushnell literature that looks similar.

Ballistol, there is a chance that the tri-pod is a pre-production model owing to who the owner is. Mr Burkes is the owner of TAB gear and a prominant figure in the US comunity.

The tripod is a Bushnell - made by Slik

(details taken from Terry's initil post)

Gents,

I'm wating on Tony to get back with details for some of the kit to enable me to do a review/write up.

The tripod is the new design for the US Army. Supplied by Busnell and made by Slik. Will revert with prices and avaialability. It is a very nice unit, well made and thought out but have a feeling it might be as said a military supply item at present.

I cannot find a link to the Bushnell scope used either.

Tony is I beleive in CA helping Jacob and Co on a training course so might be a couple of weeks before info is forthcoming.

Brgds Terry

I was getting all exited about that scope Dave, until i read that. Horus type ret and 1/10mil click turrets .....as much use as tits on a fish. :mad:

Whats the world coming to when the yanks are turning crap like that out. Whatever is wrong with good old MOA ? :lol:

I was tempted by the Bushnell, however when it reaches UK shore's it will be rather expensive. Horus reticles add around $400 to the value of any scope and when they are not needed I could not justify the purchase.

I am aware that premier reticles are going to be brought into the UK and have a nice looking ret. Also Iam tempted by a US Optics Sn3 :wub:

Choices choices :unsure:

You can get the Bushnel , with a normal metric reticle , so you donot have too pay crazy price for a Horus reticle , also I would wait until they bring out the version with a high speed turret , ie with 10 mils , instead of the current 5 mil .

Archived